Sign in to follow this  
Mr Butlertron

Alliance: The Silent War (tactical shooter) is back!

Anyone remember this game? Hundreds of guns from throughout the ages but got put on hold back in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZi4Ez4espQ

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Jack_Murdock/alliancegif.gif

They're back but they're asking for donations and have scaled the game down to multiplayer only

http://www.alliancethegame.com/update.php

Edited by Franze

They're back but they're asking for donations and have scaled the game down to multiplayer only

scaled the game down to multiplayer only

multiplayer only

Meh....

Definitely interesting but that is almost as much of a turnoff for me as a woman who smokes. We'll see.

the game was canceled or it wasn't evolving ... no idea if it is alive at all ...

Sorry to bump just to grouse, but the Alliance team has now banned "cynicism" from their boards.

After a whole year had passed since their resurrection with not a single update or bit of new I posted:

So it's been a year since Alliance "came back" and not a single bit of news or media since. Coupled with the comment that you most likely won't have anything to show until 2013 why did you come back now?

Main admin replied with

Once we knew we could arrange everything and get the company/team working again, we wanted to tell our original fans as soon as possible. But we didn't want to make any promises on which we couldn't deliver. So there you have both the announcement and the current forecast.

Stick with us- good things a coming!

-AA

Standard community manager post, not hostile, no problem with it.

A while later they posted a thread announcing an alpha release soon. A month passed with no news, I posted:

Just hit one month since this topic began. Another premature announcement? :(

Got a PM from the admin saying

temp, I've asked you before to cut down on the cynicism. We are making a game as a tiny indy team- it's not easy work. Your comments are not helping anything.

One more time and you'll be removed for a week. Again and we will ban you.

I replied with

temp, I've asked you before to cut down on the cynicism.

No. You didn't. You responded to one of my posts about lack of news but never asked me to stop. And no, I won't. Cynicism is ban-worthy now? You are making a product and cultivating a community for it. It cuts both ways. You can't expect us to sing your praises when things are going well and then forbid us from complaining when they aren't. You are a business. And my comments were about as non-confrontational as they get. You are in for a shock down the road if you think that post was distressing.

You are, as you said, a tiny indie team creating a content-heavy, graphically intensive FPS with a small budget and no publisher. Teams with more resources working on smaller projects have failed before you. I hope you succeed but it is not an insult or a lie to say the odds are stacked against you and I'm sure you and the team are aware of this. Having followed and worked on indie teams before I am aware of how difficult it is but we certainly never threatened bans over non-positive comments.

Disappointed, man.

Logged back in to find my account banned.

It's their forum and they can do as they wish...why bring the drama here?

D-baggery like this usually has wider implications of the team as a whole. Just look at Stardock. If even running a forum causes you issues it does not bode well for their abilities. And they could institute a policy banning all people with a vowel in their names if they wanted to, but that doesn't make it right.

the game was canceled or it wasn't evolving ... no idea if it is alive at all ...

As I understand it, they found paying work. So they did that instead.

Sounds like they are between jobs again.

Edited by Baff1