Sign in to follow this  
hatifnat

[RESOLVED] Error "Connection Failed." when joining ANY server.

Hello, I brought Arma 2 some months ago and it worked like a charm. But I quit playing a month ago to play some other games with my friends.

Then I heard that Arma 2: Oparation Arrowhead had less bugs, better performance and better gameplay, so I gave it a try and brought it.

I played some of the singleplayer missions and tutorials to be familiar with the changes before I went to play the multiplayer missions,

noticed a bug in the armour and UAV tutorial too. But I just ignored the bugs and continued.

But as soon I join any multplayer server the screen goes black and a text in the middle says "Joining game..." (that is normal from my experience with Arma 2),

but after about 5 seconds I get kicked back to the server browser with a popup window that says "Connection Failed.". This happens in Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead.

I have tried everything I could from searching on forums. Here is the list of what I tried:

• Tried the steps on the Troubleshooting wiki Here:
    • Run CMD as administrator and type "netsh winsock reset" and restart the computer
    • Boot the computer in safe mode and remove the device "HTTP" (Could't find the other devices in the list)

[*] Join a server with a green circle

[*] Port forward port 2302, 2303 2305 and open them in my routers firewall

[*] Run Steam as administrator

[*] Run Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrohead as administrator

[*] Restart my router and try to enable/disable uPnP

[*] Add Steam and Arma 2 folder and the Arma 2 processor in my Anti-virus exception list.

[*] Disable, turn off or exit my Anti-virus processor.

[*] Reinstall both Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

[*] Enable/disable "Discard PING from WAN side" on my router

[*] Using steam to validate the game files

Additional Notes:

• Installed via Steam
  • Happens in Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
  • I can play any other multiplayer games just fine
  • I could play Arma 2 Multplayer without any problems about a month ago.
  • My router is D-Link DI-524
  • I am currently trying with Arma 2 1.1 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead 1.60 and join a server with the same version.

Is there a way to check the connection log or anything like that? I would love to check the in-depth error.

And, if you need more information. Including my router port setup, current Anti-virus programs, computer spec and uPnP device list; just ask.

Hatifnat

Edited by Dwarden

im also having thses problems... and have had them for along time, ive always been able to get on a few servers some nights none not even the regular ones.

i have also tryed most of what you have and just lost connection to a server and i cant join any now.. thats how i found your post.

anyway i read somewhere it might be ISP related in the way in handles/loads the server browser and the ISP might be blocking connections as it mimics

P2P file sharing. im on Virgin Media btw.

I see in your list that you opened ports, no where did I see that you added the arma2OA.exe to your fire wall exceptions/rule. Sorry if I missed it if you did try it and just did not list it, but some times it is the simple things we overlook.

The processors (.exe and .bat) are added in my firewall list (Inbound and outbound) without connection exceptions (allows any port, protocol, IP, etc).

I also noticed that most (99%) of the servers in the server browser doesn't show the ping, but a grey question mark (?) instead.

However, I just tried an empty server with a ping around 40-70 and I got "Waiting for host..." message on the screen,

the chat also got shown included "Player Hatifnat connecting." and "Player Hatifnat connected." in the chat. But the screen was still stuck at "Waiting for host..." (Looks like a problem with the server itself).

Tested on Arma 2, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (+Combined operations)

EDIT:

Just found a server in Arma 2 with 350 ping and I was able fully connect and play without problems.

Summary update (Includes what I forgot on the first post):

• Can create a OA dedicated server (from steam) and join & play from LAN and WAN (Internet) side with around 0-10 ping without problem (Not tested in Arma 2)
  • Don't look like its a problem with BattleEye because I could join a server with BattleEye
  • _runA2CO and _runA2CO_beta .bat, ArmA2OA and ArmA2 .exe are added in windows firewall (Inbound and Outbound) with no connection exceptions (allow any ping, protocol, IP, etc)
  • No mods installed for the client

EDIT 2:

Ok, I tried to plug my computer directly to my network modem (or whatever its called in English), bypassing my router (I used Wi-Fi before I tried this). Tested Arma 2 and everything worked like it normaly should.

Problem solved, some of my router configs must have messed up and blocked the connection. I will take a closer look next week and post more details on what could have blocked the connection. ;)

Hatifnat

Edited by Hatifnat

Hatifnat

You never happend to find anything more about what was blocking the connection?

I have the exact same problem that you had and I've also kind off tried everything you listed. The problem is that I dont have access to plug my computer directly to my modem since it's in another room.

It seems as my problem is just getting worse since I could join alot of severs in the beginning and now I can't join alot of those I were able to join before and getting "Connecting failed" error but I see alot of other people joining them.

Thanks in advance!

You never happend to find anything more about what was blocking the connection?

-Snip-

Sorry for not updating the threat with the right solution to help people in future, but I figured out the problem.

You need to have admin access to the router and disable "SPI mode" in the settings (If its on and you can disable it).

This is recommended; not only to allow connections to servers, but will allow more servers to be shown in the server list (Server name, ping, etc.)

and fix problems with a few other online games and their server list.

SPI means "Stateful Packet Inspection". More info about SPI.

If you can't disable SPI mode or disabling it won't fix your problem, try to allow port range 2302-2305 (Or just 2302, 2303 and 2305) UDP as Trigger and Public Port in the routers "(Special) Application" list. (Required admin access too)

I've heard that the application list could be named something else or is mixed with with another list.

I don't know if that's the solution you are looking for, but it's always worth a try.

Hatifnat

Edited by Hatifnat

Fsxdrew

Do not type in all caps. Furthermore, your posts are looking like spam to me. If you don't have anything meaningful to share, keep it to yourself.

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

§12) Do not type in all capital letters, all bold, or in a non-black font

Typing in all caps equates (according to standard net etiquette) to yelling. It is also difficult and obnoxious to read such posts. This also applies to posting all in bold or all in a certain font colour just to try to make your words stand out, if your point is interesting enough or well written enough it will stand out. You're welcome of course to use different colours for parts of your post if it helps clarify certain areas, but typing complete messages in any colour other than black should be avoided.

If you can't disable SPI mode or disabling it won't fix your problem, try to allow port range 2302-2305 (Or just 2302, 2303 and 2305) UDP as Trigger and Public Port in the routers "(Special) Application" list. (Required admin access too)

I've heard that the application list could be named something else or is mixed with with another list.

I don't know if that's the solution you are looking for, but it's always worth a try.

Hatifnat

Thanks for the answear so qickly! I've looked through our router through PFsense and there is no SPI anywhere around there. I have opend the ports UDP 2302 to 2305 also while starting the game as administrator and shutting down my windows firewall. I'm currently playing Iron Front: Liberation 1944 and I've have also verifed game integrity(using the steam version) and nothing seems to work. Also the servers that I cannot connect to has a "?" as ping and when I connect to it it shows 2500 ping. Some of them I can connect but most of them I cannot.

I were even able to connect to some servers two days ago that I cannot connect to anymore. This is really bugging me.

Thanks for the answear so qickly! I've looked through our router [...]

-snip-

Can you tell me what router you use?

Hatifnat

-snip-[/url] on a server.

I am a bit confused about PFsense, is it some kind of free alternative router GUI that includes a firewall?

If so, try to check the log and see if its the router blocking the connection.

You might want to disable the firewall in PFsense or add a rule to pass the connection.

I am a bit confused about PFsense, is it some kind of free alternative router GUI that includes a firewall?

If so, try to check the log and see if its the router blocking the connection.

You might want to disable the firewall in PFsense or add a rule to pass the connection.

Yes it's an open source firewall/router distribution based on FreeBSD.PfSense is commonly deployed as a Perimeter Firewall, router, wireless access point, DHCP server, DNS server, and as a VPN endpoint. Copied from wiki as it gave the best short explenation.

I can't find anything in the log files that says it is blocking the connection.

But when i look through the firewall log and I join a server i can connect it looks like this

May 30 21:36:36 WAN Source 10.245.1.217 Destination 224.0.0.1 Proto IGMP

and when it does work

May 30 21:36:48 WAN Source 85.230.126.213:17500 Destination 85.230.127.255:17500 Proto UDP

May 30 21:36:48 WAN Source 85.230.126.213:17500 Destination 255.255.255.255:17500 Proto UDP

May 30 21:36:48 WAN Source 85.230.126.213:17500 Destination 255.255.255.255:17500 Proto UDP

May 30 21:36:46 WAN Source 85.231.113.205:57621 Destination 85.231.113.255:57621 Proto UDP

Does this mean anything to you?

-snip-

Not much, and I don't know anything else that could cause your problem.

The last thing I suggest is to:

1. Allow the ports in the firewall rules.
  2. Check if UPnP is enabled.
  3. Allow the .exe in windows firewall.
  4. Turn off any anti-virus.
  5. Maybe port forward them, that might remove some restrictions from the port.
  6. Recheck every settings.
  7. Contact someone else with more experience than me.

I don't use FBsense myself and use the original GUI that comes with my router instead, so I can't do much help.

Hatifnat