purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Is Arma 3 Authentic?

arma3_logohfds2.png

Do you think Arma 3 looks oddly futuristic? Do you think it looks more like a fantasy game than Arma? Have you never seen some of those weapons or vehicles?

Then this Thread will help you!

It is dedicated to people who, from the first impression, think Arma 3 is not authentic. People who would like to easily show someone that in fact the opposite is the case and last but not least also people like me, who just like to discover all those little interesting details.

I hope this collection might actually help and open some eyes to get over this first impression of "future stuff".

Please keep in mind that this list also contains placeholders and concept assets that are not in the final game but kept in this thread for the sake of the comparison.

Get comfortable, lay back and just assure yourself! :popcornsmilie:

Vehicles:

Merkava tank

Here it is in real life and that's how it looks like in Arma 3.

Also notice how it uses the "Trophy" active protection system.

Patria AMV

Real life - Arma 3

Oshkos M-ATV

Real life - Arma 3

"Ansyr" M-RAP

Real life - Arma 3

Comanche Helicopter

Real life - Arma 3

Mi-48 "Kajman" Codename ONNTSA

Real life - Arma 3

2T "Stalker" ARV

Real life - Arma 3

LGS Fennek

Real life - Arma 3

L-159

Real life - Arma 3

YABHON-R UAV

Real life - Arma 3

KA-60

Real life - Arma 3

"Crusher" UGV

Real life - Arma 3

AH-6

Real life - Arma 3

V-22 "Osprey"

Real life - Arma 3

MK.8 SDV

Real life - Arma 3

F-35B

Real life - Arma 3

HEMTT Truck

Real life - Arma 3

special version

Real life - Arma 3

Car

Real life - Arma 3

Namer APC

Real life - Arma 3

Weapons:

NEMO mortar system

Real-life - Arma 3

GM6-Lynx

Real life - Arma 3

KAC LMG

Real life - Arma 3

caseless ammunition

CZ EVO 3

Real life - Arma 3

XM-25

Real life - Arma 3

Railgun concept

Real life - Arma 3

XM312

Real life - Arma 3

MK14 EBR

Real life - Arma 3

TAR-21

Real life - Arma 3

Butterfly

Real life - Arma 3

Other:

Camo Scheme

Real life - Arma 3

Radar station

Real life - Arma 3

Leather Moccasins

Real life - Arma 3

MCCS Micro Climate Cooling System

Real life - Arma 3

Transparent display/HUD technology

Real life - Arma 3

Greek Seagull

Real life - Arma 3

F-35 pilot helmet

Real life - Arma 3

Olive Trees

Real life - Arma 3

Maroula, Limnos

Real life - Arma 3

Spartan Trail

Real life - Arma 3

ISO-Container

Real life - Arma 3

Ops Core FAST Helmet

Real life - Arma 3

Another important element of Arma are the environments.

Arma 3 will take place on the island called "Limnos". Its real-life counterpart is called Lemnos and is situated in the Aegean Sea. The second island is called Agios Efstratios. If you are interested, I made a Picasa Web Album with a huge collection of pictures from Lemnos, Agios and similar places you can find here.

Now, let's take a look at some comparison shots of Limnos vs Lemnos.

• Nr.1

• Nr.2

• Nr.3

Agios Efstratios: Arma 3 vs Real life

• Nr.1

• Nr.2

• Nr.3

Next to the general outlines of these islands, the team even accurately modells characteristic buildings one can find there.

One example for that is the Limnos Power Plant.

• Arma 3

• Real life

As you can see, even the ventilators and the fucking pipe are in the correct place!

I hope you enjoyed taking a look at this collection and maybe look at things from a different angle now

ps. Huge shoutout for the team! When researching all the pictures and information for this thread, I was really astonished by the amount of detail and love you put into the game.

kind regards

pure

Edited by PurePassion
Added the 2T "Stalker" ARV to the list

Thank god you posted this. Hopefully this will end the plague of non-believers! :D

Good work! :)

The simple fact that any Iranian would be using Merkavas or Tavors is so ridiculously stupid that it makes my brain bleed.

amm, actually "real life" photo of the infamous Mi-48 "Kajman" is not authentic. That's just Mi-28. Sure, devs have taken lot of stuff from it, but i think description need to be corrected. For great justice, you know...

The simple fact that any Iranian would be using Merkavas or Tavors is so ridiculously stupid that it makes my brain bleed.

Ditto. Regardless of how anyone wants to play the ArmAverse card, from a TO&E standpoint, it is stupid and the imbecility of it leaves me somewhat speechless. However, it's been discussed ad-nauseum up to this point.

Are the butterfly, seagull and olive tree comparisons there to make sure we're not inventing sci-fi variants? :eek:

Perhaps today. Think into the hypothetical future! :)

amm, actually "real life" photo of the infamous Mi-48 "Kajman" is not authentic. That's just Mi-28. Sure, devs have taken lot of stuff from it, but i think description need to be corrected. For great justice, you know...
Ditto. Regardless of how anyone wants to play the ArmAverse card, from a TO&E standpoint, it is stupid and the imbecility of it leaves me somewhat speechless. However, it's been discussed ad-nauseum up to this point.

Really? So if a country has the posibility to produce a foreign weapon design that is superior to it's own , during wartime, it wouldnt? What's so stupid about that?

Good post Pure, I say it needs to be a sticky :)

Are the butterfly, seagull and olive tree comparisons there to make sure we're not inventing sci-fi variants? :eek:

Perhaps today. Think into the hypothetical future! :)

There are plenty of Iranian produced components. They have their own MBT, IFV, APC, and small-arms weapons designs now, and a few advanced ones in the pipe. Hypotheticals have nothing to do with it. It is however Iranian ideology first and foremost. Something most around here can't seem to get their heads around.

Iranians in Israeli vehicles is like Hitler and Nelly Sachs acting in a play together.

There are plenty of Iranian produced components. They have their own MBT, IFV, APC, and small-arms weapons designs now, and a few advanced ones in the pipe. Hypotheticals have nothing to do with it. It is however Iranian ideology first and foremost. Something most around here can't seem to get their heads around.

Iranians in Israeli vehicles is like Hitler and Nelly Sachs acting in a play together.

You are talking about an Iran 20+ years into the future that went through a regime change. I can not remember where I read it, but they are not an islamic republic anymore. The whole "down with the zionists!!!" fades away after you made an example of them. What greater insult there is then to use their own technology against their allies.

Don't iranians use T-100?

I thought iranians used the hexa-camo stuff, while blufor used non-camo vehicles in ArmA3?

I thought iranians used the hexa-camo stuff, while blufor used non-camo vehicles in ArmA3?

They use both the Merkava and the T-100...

You are talking about an Iran 20+ years into the future that went through a regime change. I can not remember where I read it, but they are not an islamic republic anymore. The whole "down with the zionists!!!" fades away after you made an example of them. What greater insult there is then to use their own technology against their allies.

So I guess that explains why the Iranians are the only ones who use the Oshkosh M-ATV as well, huh?... :j:

They use both.

I'd say wait until the Alpha to find out who uses what and go with the flow in the campaign (if it is playable, unlike the A2 camp at launch)

You know the only thing that bothers me so far about this game is both MBT's for opfor and blufor is the Merkava. Granted there's some other tank with a railgun mounted on it but I don't like the idea of both main factions sharing weaponry, particularly armor with the same thermal signatures, silhouettes and all (yeah there's a camo difference but in some conditions that could be hard to identify). I have a hard time believing NATO couldn't adopt (assuming BIS is tired of the Abrams) the Challenger or the Leopard, esepcially the Leopard which gets no love these days from games :( .

^^ yep kind of bugs me too,

Though I thought maybe it was due to BLUFOR rebels capturing (reclaiming), OPFOR's latest (stolen tech) vehicles. Thats asuming what is known so far of the campagain story line. But there should still be a definative BLUFOR MBT if only for side missions and MP, and I think it would be better to be Euro centric (I'd vote Leopard but happy with Challenger), rather than the US Abrams.

^^ yep kind of bugs me too,

Though I thought maybe it was due to BLUFOR rebels capturing (reclaiming), OPFOR's latest (stolen tech) vehicles. Thats asuming what is known so far of the campagain story line. But there should still be a definative BLUFOR MBT if only for side missions and MP, and I think it would be better to be Euro centric (I'd vote Leopard but happy with Challenger), rather than the US Abrams.

I can get behind that. Especially seeing as how most of the models in the ArmA series are hi-res retex's from a certain military version of the game, (I have it, I should know) and it can't be that hard to do.

We're talking about NATO's domain here, it really should be a Leopard or Challenger.

Why is it so unbelievable that the Iranians use Israeli things. In WW2 the Germans used lots of soviet war material that they had captured.

Actually if Iran is invading Europe it makes sense that Israel is occupated. Thus most of it (if not all) tech is captured.

I can get behind that. Especially seeing as how most of the models in the ArmA series are hi-res retex's from a certain military version of the game, (I have it, I should know) and it can't be that hard to do.

Of course, why double up the work? And no, not entirely, customers have paid for said models to be produced for the VBS range, with that comes agreements. None of the BAF stuff is from VBS2, and with good reason. It's not just a case of picking and choosing. Easy to do? Not as easy as you may believe.

Edited by Messiah

I enjoyed the post PurePassion, thanks for taking the time. I was unsure of the future-ish setting to begin with but have since come around.

I agree with you paecmaker in a world where Iran is powerful enough to invade Europe it's unlikely Israel would have been left alone, if those are Mekarvas or copied variant then it's likely the technology came from an invasion of Israel.

Edited by .Taffy

@ Messiah

BAF huh? Nicely avoiding the remainder of the models in ArmA, ArmA II, and OA. Good job deflecting, you should be a politician. For your edification, all of the vehicle models from BAF are from said mil-sim. I'd be more than happy to show you RPAT for RPAT if need be. Furthermore, to avoid said licensing constraints (which has been done in the past), all that is needed is to change a rivet here and there, an optical sights preclusion, a CSW, or any facet thereof. I've been with this series since 2001, I've been modding since 2006, and I've owned said military version of ArmA since 2009. I do think I've got a decent handle on things, mate.

@ paecmaker

Oh yes... I was waiting for this one.

It is a common misconception that the German Forces utilized Soviet weapon systems in great numbers, it is based upon uninformed and or lackadaisical stupidity on the part of the individual stating as such. The OKW did indeed appropriate RKKA material, however, said material was only utilized when production in the RPIA was essentially falling apart. In fact, official German and Soviet documents point to a equivalency of Soviet arms (heavy weapon systems) utilized by German forces to equal that of a Battalion level element. Point moot. Feel free to do your own research as the records are readily available online now.

So, unless the Iranians are dying at the cyclic rate and losing, it still doesn't pan out.

Actually, Detcord has a point. Iran would NEVER, and I say, NEVER use "Zionist" technology. That's what they see it as. I don't care if they invaded Israel. They wouldn't use that. They ARE an Islamic Republic. They ARE an Islamic nation, and very much so. The supreme leader, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Hosseini Khamenei, is as much a religious leader as he is a political leader. I don't care what regime change Iran goes through. It'll still be a Muslim nation. And chances are, with this possible new regime starting WW3, this new regime is more radical than the last (as in the present regime). Remember, the Ayatollah won't go away. They won't get rid of him. If there is a regime change, then the Ayatollah will support it (he already doesn't really like Ahmadinejad).

Good thread, hopefully it will stop all the "OMG future weapons aren't realistic!". On Iran using Israeli weapons. It does seem a little far fetched, but I'm sure stranger things have happened in wartime, who knows maybe it's just a Limnos thing? Maybe their just placeholders for now and BIS hasn't created all the Iranian vehicles/weapons yet? Anyway even if the vanilla game comes with Iranians using Israeli weapons for whatever reason I'm betting the ACE team will get onto it and make new weapons/configs like they did for the US Army, etc. in OA.

tl;dr Good thread pure. For the love of god, think of the mods!:)