Sign in to follow this  
gabriel22

Fully lost in Hinds

Hello,

I'm new in TOH, I played some missions and then I installed Hinds. Well, I'm totally lost in hinds after 10 hours of attempting challenges as a beginner (not "expert"):

The wingman only shoots cannons and only on some ground targets, the rest is manual.

I am defenceless against enemy helicopters - I can not lock on such target with any weapon, manual or wingman, no matter "tab", "shift tab", ctrl tab", just manually shoot with cannons randomly - no way to hit them; "fighting" with enemy helicopters is simply fast dead.

I can not refuel, nor re-arm, even if the mission says I have such support.

Missiles are the only effective weapons, but only manual and only for a few ground targets, until they finish - the rest simply hit me dead and I can not react against them.

The 360 xbox controller scheme is poor and very difficult to adjust; I have no possibility to save some schemes for it after a lot of work for setting (what if I buy a joystick? I can not save new schemes).

One mission was so simple that the wingman managed to kill everything on the ground with cannons (no remaining active target), but the game simply did not want to move forward to the next objective.

There is no manual to explain any of above.... Please, can anybody give me some hints? Or some extended material to read (other that the poor user manual)? Or, did I install some beta versions (although I paid the bundle)? Otherwise.... I should admit it simply can't be played....

Thanks for support.

I feel your pain gabriel! When I first started playing ToH I also got very frustrated - it is a very difficult game to master - especially if you start with the Hinds!

Anyway, some answers for you (numbers not matched but you'll get the gist!);

1. It's hard using an Xbox Controller - the collective especially is too jumpy and it's difficult to get fine control. The sticks make the helicopters far too sensitive. I would invest in a good joystick if I were you - don't worry, you can map all the controls and they will be saved in your profile.

2. Forget, Novice, forget Normal, play on Expert. The 'helper' systems are actually a hindrance and it was only when I switched to expert that I could actually fly anything. You still have auto hover available (space bar is default) should you get into difficulty and you can add the dials back if you wish by editting the difficulty setting.

3. The hind does not have fire and forget missiles. The missiles have to be guided by the gunner and to do this you must give him view of the target at all times after firing. Same goes for the rockets - the gunner will only fire them if he has the target zeroed.

4. The machine gun is sometimes fixed and sometimes not depending on the Hind variant you are flying. With the fixed cannon, you will again need to centre the target for the gunner.

5. Dog-fighting is hard! The only useful weapon is the cannon. You might want to play the Multiplayer Mission that came with the game - that's good practice. Here, the only advice there is is practice, practice, practice.

6. Refuelling - does work. You have to land your chopper and then taxi close to the fuel truck (hint - "right-ctrl W" toggles the wheel brakes for taxiing). The same goes for the ammo truck.

7. I have found that some of the patrol missions don't always end. This is usually because there is a truck/tank somewhere that has not been fully destroyed - you just have to find it! Some of these missions are easy and some are bloody impossible - they are random so you'll get a different experience each time.

Lastly. As I said before, this game isn't easy - it takes practice to fly these things. Maybe go back to the light and medium chopper and get some hours in before jumping in the Hind. With the Hind you need a lot more pedal as the torque induced yaw is much, much stronger. Also when taking off remember you will need opposite pedal to that you use with the other helicopters as the Hind's rotors spin in the opposite direction!

Stick with it mate - it is worth it - for the sense of achievement alone!!

Edited by Jedra
wront control key :)

An xbox controller will work even on expert (I use a PS2 controller for it) however, you will need to change the sensitivity otherwise it will be quite jerky. I have mine set (using the ingame sensitivty) to having about a third deadzone and having the x y z sensitivities halfway along the bar.

Thank you for the advices, I'll further practice.

It is quite difficult to find a joystick, it seems they are broadly replaced by xbox controller. What would be a good joystick, if I go for a simple one - I mean only one piece, not 2 or 3, with pedals, etc?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Thank you for the advices, I'll further practice.

It is quite difficult to find a joystick, it seems they are broadly replaced by xbox controller. What would be a good joystick, if I go for a simple one - I mean only one piece, not 2 or 3, with pedals, etc?

Thanks,

Gabriel

If you're not going with throttle/pedals then probably best to stick with your Xbox controller with the adjustments Dan suggested. It's the throttle and pedals that make the difference! I use a Logitech G940 combo.

If you're not going with throttle/pedals then probably best to stick with your Xbox controller with the adjustments Dan suggested. It's the throttle and pedals that make the difference! I use a Logitech G940 combo.

Well... I had an offer last week from Logitech of 30% discount for one product, I could buy something similar with your combo for 200 USD, but I said I have no room for such big combo. I'll think about it. Until then, I'll make some settings to the controller, as Dan suggested.

Gabriel

Gabriel,

If you want a recommendation for a good joystick, try the Thrustmaster T.16000M. Very solid except maybe for the throttle/collective slider. It also has a mapping in the controllers section of ToH.

/Mickey