bushlurker

Carraigdubh, County Leitrim. - A 5x5km Geotypical Irish Terrain

no GAA pitch? :D

looking good, probably be more "real" if the lines were white and solid. yellow dotted arent normally seen

no GAA pitch?

Bugger!.... Forgot about that!...

Hmmm.... there's basic "5 a side" football mini-goals and pitch markings available... close enough I guess... I'll see where I can cram that in too... :)

B

no worries bush :D

shame you couldnt simulate gaelic football/hurling in arma lol

shame you couldnt simulate gaelic football/hurling in arma

Heheh... We call it "Shinty" in Scotland....

All we need is a basic "whacking other person with large stick" animation... a ball is nominally present, but generally plays little part in the proceedings....

B

yea shinty is some sport

ever watch hurling/shinty? my god you scots can go for the man with a stick even if you have the ball lol

i have never seen tommy walsh as hurt as that..even people he hurts havnt been down that long haha

^ that looks like a cross between field hockey and rugby (at least to me...lol)

I urge you to fill those empty hills (the high ones) with forests. They don't look good as it is and the map will certainly be better with those few forests. Feels too empty atm.

I urge you to fill those empty hills (the high ones) with forests. They don't look good as it is and the map will certainly be better with those few forests. Feels too empty atm.

I'm afraid there won't be any mass forest additions, Metalcraze....

With this terrain, even though its "geotypical" and therefore imaginary, and I could add anything I want - I'm trying to stick fairly closely to the "typical" part...

This whole area is set in the north of Éire... up here it's tourist 'n sheep country... almost like the west coast of Scotland... a little less wild - trees do actually grow here in small numbers and in sheltered areas, unlike Scotland where it literally is nothing but windswept moorland.

Here's one of my "higher hills" reference photos so you can see where the landscaping choices are coming from....

Leitrim_small.jpg

As you can see, I've actually skipped a LOT of the stone walls, an AI-on-foot compromise... as you get uphill beyond the sheltered lowlands theres not much vegetation bigger than the occasional hardy gorse bush... even the grass doesn't grow too long - it grows low and tough, and the sheep keep it short! :)

Anyhow... answering Metalcraze's post wasn't why I've suddenly dug up this old thread - nor do I have any major new progress shots - yet... though there will be a further Carraigdubh update in the (relatively) near future.

The reason I'm posting is to notify people of a pretty effective workaround for the AI-drivers-continually-ramming-walls issue!

The (partial) solution is..... Sakura Chan's Driving AI Fix

Following up on a tip I received from UK_Scooby (cheers mate!!), I've done a little experimenting with AI drivers - "under the influence" of Sakura Chan's addon, and - it works!!! Really well, for the most part!!

You can grab Sakura Chan's Driving Fix addon from the link above... I'd suggest that you just drop his .pbo file in the same folder as Carraigdubh itself... that way, the "fix" will be run as and when you choose to run the terrain itself, and if you launch your game for a "normal" session without Carraigdubh, then Sakura Chan's fix won't potentially interfere with driving AI on other terrains...

The original Driving Fix thread is available HERE for anyone who wants to give it a quick read thru, but, since it's a "old thread", please don't post in there... it'll just get me into trouble with the Mighty Mods (again) for encouraging people to dig up old threads ;)....

AI drivers still get confused, or maybe just encouraged, to nip offroad thru small gaps in the roadside walls if they see an opportunity to cut across country and avoid a big 'dogleg' in the road now and then, but most of the time - with this fix - they stay on the road nicely and generally forge ahead pretty confidently, apart from the occasional hesitation at tricky multiple bends, etc...

It's a whole lot better than the default AI driving on these roads anyway! a Major improvement! So I encourage anyone who's bothered with this little terrain and has been annoyed by the driving chaos to give this fix a try....

I'd just like to thank Sakura Chan enormously for this little addon!!!!

... now... I wonder if I could incorporate some little fix like this into a "Carraigdubh Module"????..... hmmmm...... ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks for the heads up on the driving fix

edit: unfortunately Saku's fix no longer works with a recent patch :(

Edited by SavageCDN

I'd love this one for A3, always have been one of my fav maps.

Hi Bushlurker, I love your terrain and started to make some good missions using CWR2 BAF troops as well as Col Stagler IRA chaps.

Sadly there was a problems with roads, I couldn't make many waypoints for vehicles 'cause in some area of the terrain they didn't follow them.

Have you made an updated version of the terrain?

Cheers and (hope) carry on the great terrain work !

Hi Bushlurker, I love your terrain and started to make some good missions using CWR2 BAF troops as well as Col Stagler IRA chaps.

Sadly there was a problems with roads, I couldn't make many waypoints for vehicles 'cause in some area of the terrain they didn't follow them.

Have you made an updated version of the terrain?

Cheers and (hope) carry on the great terrain work !

sadly, arma2 dont support left hand drive roads, its hardcoded into it. btw whats the difference between the CWR2 and P85 British troops? im making a little bandit country themed mission right now...

sadly, arma2 dont support left hand drive roads, its hardcoded into it. btw whats the difference between the CWR2 and P85 British troops? im making a little bandit country themed mission right now...

CWR2 and P85 are different mods at the end of the day, CWR2 is a mod based on what OFP was. And P85 is an 85 era scenario.

In my missions I am using CWR2 british troops and vehicles because I like the weapons and general background of CWR2 era, british troops are basically the same, Col Stagler did something a bit more accurate and complete.

Buslurker's terrain do not support AI driving on left, for me should not be a problem (even if inaccurate about realism) BUT the problem I have with the terrain roads is different:

When I put AI vehicles in a road, and give appropriate waypoints, it's possible that in some distinct areas of the terrain AI vehicles do not follow waypoints and stop, or sometimes (and only in certain areas) AI vehicles turn, or drive out of the path even in a straight road (like if they would avoid invisible obstacles, but they simply don't exist!)...

Bush answered me that he was trying to fix the problem, hope he will release a final version with corrections or other stuff (or maybe has he already released an updated version?).

Actually I have two northern island "troubles era" missions on developing, too bad I cannot fix those problems by myself with scripts or other.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

I found the answer by myself:

sakudriver.zip lol:p

Has anyone got suggestion for a model which is like a British army 'sangar'?

For a checkpoint etc...

Hey Bushlurker, you will have seen many A1 and A2 islands getting the Arma3 love through mods like http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24913

Will it be possible to see any of your terrains in the A3 engine (especially Carraigdubh) :pray:

Is there a link to the fixed keys for Dedicated servers? Any one know?

Will it be possible to see any of your terrains in the A3 engine (especially Carraigdubh)

I certainly hope so - at some point anyway.

I've actually made a - slow - start on a proper A3 Carraigdubh since a few people seem to have had fun on that one - 'cause of all the hedgerows I think :) - and there's a few missions around for it...

Sadly it doesn't "plug 'n play" with Arma 3 AiA (because of the pond, I suspect - and possibly also the BAF units in the cutscene)

I'm currently trying to arrange a little "fixed A2 version" without those two features which should allow it to be used with AiA in Arma 3 meantime...

Is there a link to the fixed keys for Dedicated servers? Any one know?

The "***UPDATE*** Serverkey & V2 .bisign Files" link in the first post is still valid and should be what you're looking for...

B

This map in Arma 3 would be amazing! I tried to import it and it looked amazing, but once I go north from the main town it crashes =/

This map in Arma 3 would be amazing! I tried to import it and it looked amazing, but once I go north from the main town it crashes =/

Good thing. Maybe things like this stop people stealing stuff just because they can. It's bad enough that almost every thread in the A2 forum is infested by some A3 kid begging for the stuff being ported over.

Good thing. Maybe things like this stop people stealing stuff just because they can. It's bad enough that almost every thread in the A2 forum is infested by some A3 kid begging for the stuff being ported over.

Ok maybe I'm missing something because I'm not exactly filled with knowledge when it comes to the modding community. But anyways, how is it stealing if it was free? It's not like I released someone else's work under my own name. I'm not playing dumb here. I actually don't see the problem, and why you're so up in arms about it. My main point was that it's a good map in A2, and I think it would be just as good or better in A3.

Just stopping by to express my gratitude: this map is one of the most interesting maps around and our small community totally loved it. Thank you for your work!

BYW it's great to know that Carraigdubh has a chance to appear in Arma 3. Good luck with porting it over! :D

Edited by Semiconductor