Sign in to follow this  
MeerCaT

Steam version - Installing outside of Steam

I own the Steam version of ToH but I would quite like to install and run ToH outside of the Steam file structure and entirely disassociated from Steam.

Is there anyway of using the CD key for a version of ToH installed through Stream to activate a non-steam version?

(And is it even possible to download the game without going through the purchase process?)

I know that the DCS series (Eagle Dynamics) make their game installation files freely downloadable from their website, but to activate it (and be able to run the game) you must purchase a CD key.

Does/could/would such a purchase structure be applied to ToH at all?

This makes it possible for owners of the Steam version to then revert to the non-Steam version (after they have reaslised the error of their ways:)) without having to purchase a second copy of the game.

just let STEAM install the game for You

run the game once via STEAM to get the proper registry keys entered to Your system

then You can run Your TOH w/o using STEAM, just run TakeOnH.exe

If you need to have your game in a different location, there is tools to move applications installed with steam to different folders too... Simply google "steam mover"

I'm interested in the answer to this question, if anybody has one.

DCS allows for a purchase to be made via steam, and then installed through a torrent linked from their site (which I get phenomenally better speeds with compared to Steam), using the key from Steam. Does TOH in general have a similar option ?

I'm interested in the answer to this question, if anybody has one.

DCS allows for a purchase to be made via steam, and then installed through a torrent linked from their site (which I get phenomenally better speeds with compared to Steam), using the key from Steam. Does TOH in general have a similar option ?

I think the reason DCS can do that is because their game is locked down with quite harsh DRM, so giving people access to a torrent file doesn't allow them to just play it for free. TOH, on the other hand, doesn't have intrusive enough DRM to do that, so I don't think they would offer such an option. Steam can be slow here in Australia, but it will eventually download. Once it's downloaded, I'd recommend making a Steam backup, so that if you ever need to install it again, you don't need to redownload it.