Sign in to follow this  
Stagler

Stagler's IRA

IRA

Requires ARMA 2 Combined Operations

ira3.th.jpgira2.th.jpgira1.th.jpg

Happy St Patricks Day! Before I go out on the piss later id like to present these.

It is a quick and dirty addon representing some Irish Republican Army insurgents. I probably wont do anymore work on this addon because its only a small one. I started working on it when I saw BushLurker's new Irish terrain he is working on and is hopefully releasing soon, go check that shit out if you havent. These could easily represent any faction of the now splintered IRA, that is another reason why I also left out cap badges on the berets so they could be used as anyone. I based these off pictures of IRA insurgents throughout the 1980s and 1990s but there wasnt many quality photos, and they all seem to wear similar get up.

Enjoy guys.

v1.0 Features

• Overlook look is unconventional. DPM and OD jackets with jeans or khaki combat trousers. No webbing or belt kit like in most of the photos. All wear balaclava heads.
  • 10 types of insurgent inheriting from the default BIS Chedaki insurgent classes but with different weapons. All use english dialogue, have english names, and use BAF faces.
  • OA features compatible: Backpacks etc. None have backpacks by default however.
  • Equipped with weapons mostly representative of the IRA without having any dependancies on weapon packs - FN FAL, AKM, M16A2, L7 GPMG etc.

They can be found under the EAST side in the faction "IRA"

Classnames:

SG_IRA_Soldier_1

SG_IRA_Soldier_2

SG_IRA_Soldier_3

SG_IRA_Soldier_AT

SG_IRA_Soldier_GL

SG_IRA_Soldier_Medic

SG_IRA_Soldier_CO

SG_IRA_Soldier_MG

SG_IRA_Soldier_Sniper

SG_IRA_Soldier_Sapper

Credits

Models: BIS, W0lle, Shnapdrosel.

Textures: BIS, SafetyCatch, MilitaryPhotos.com for insipiration.

As always thanks to Jackal326 and ArdvarkDB for advice and allknowingness about oxygen 2.

Changelog

v1.0 - initial release

Armaholic Download Link v1.2

Rapidshare Download Link v1.2

Armabase Download Link v1.0

Edited by colonel stagler

good looking addon

not fancy straight to the point an usefull

keep it up

Thanks for these - enjoy yourself today!

Did someone show this to the guys from ITV? :D

Someone should do a vid of Stagler's IRA shooting down the aliens on Duala and then watch the news tonight.

Haha the duala aliens. I could see it now. IRA engage aliens in gunfight headline news.

Here is recepy for ITV video using vanilla Arma 2, we just need to change those few soldiers into IRA soldiers from this addon. A video can be sent to TV stations as new and improved version of old video, this time with more accuarcy as we have Lynx as well :p.

Recreate the fake IRA video so you too can fool overworked, underpaid documentary makers!

The original YouTube vid from post 1 was removed this evening, possibly someone (I wonder who) complained of copyright infringement. It's back! Thanks to jerryhopper

The full length film was also removed from ITV's web player. Here is the full length fake vid - the 1st few mins were used in the documentary:

Careful analysis and reconnaissance (flying up and down the railway to find the right bridge) has led me to the exact spot where the sorry tale began! The middle of the left edge of grid square 070124 near Chernogorsk on Chernarus Island.

Men:

OPFOR Guerilla faction

Medic x2

Grenadier x2

Materials:

OPFOR Guerilla faction:

Pickup (PK)

Ural (ZU-23)

Off-Road (DShKM)

Civilian faction:

Car (white)

Objects:

Crashed UH-1Y

Campfire (burning x2)

Barrel fire x2

Settings:

-You need low video settings, the IRA fan has a crap PC. I messed for ages but my monitor and video card is too good. I can't make it look as bad. Also he did not film it with the in game camera - he used a hand held camera to film the monitor.

-Turn the gamma way down and the brightness all the way up, you need lots of contrast.

-You need to set the barrels on fire with the action menu.

-You possibly need one of the vegetation tweak mods. There are fewer trees in the video?

-You will need a recording of some Irish folk music, tin whistles and violins etc.

-The view distance in the video is about 500m (wow just how crap is that PC?) You can see the hills behind the nearest trees don't show in the video.

Place your items in the map editor like so, the position of the player (bottom left) must be precise to recreate the viewing angle:

irarecrt05.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is recepy for ITV video using vanilla Arma 2, we just need to change those few soldiers into IRA soldiers from this addon. A video can be sent to TV stations as new and improved version of old video, this time with more accuarcy as we have Lynx as well :p.

lol I'm so glad my time spent on that wasn't completely wasted! Nice addon Stagler!

There's one little problem with them. The shadows from the bag and waterbottle on the rear are visible.

ira_shadowload.jpg

Well spotted W0lle. Ill get on it when i shake this hangover.

Right heres an updated version with the shadows fixed. Sorry lads my fault I completely overlooked the shadow LODS.

Rapidshare Download Link v1.2

• Changed the shadows on the back of the belt. Doh
  • Changed the collar so you cant see under it. Again doh.

Edited by colonel stagler

Sweet Stags. Something that hasn't been done yet. Much respect.

I downloaded the v1.2 off of Armaholic earlier and when I get in-game on the editor and place one of the IRA units down as 'Player' I do not spawn with a Balaclava on, can someone please help me? I have reinstalled the mod twice already. It is just popping up with my characters face, no balaclava.

The Balaclava is a face you have to add yourself with the 'Setface' command.