Sign in to follow this  
magnus28

problem importing texture from blender

Hi all.. I successfully completed my first model in blender...

I exported successfully to O2 using Leopam'm Import/Export tool.

I opened the model in O2, it's there except no texture.. I haven't tried to see what it looks like in BullDozer, but when I loaded model in the mission editor it was plain white with no texture.

-I saved texture with blender and packed it correctly...

-already configured the LODS for the model prior to export via the decimate tool in blender.

-used Arma addon in blender to make sure LODS were configured correctly.

also one more thing.. Do you know if Arma 2 has a problem with non power of 2 texture sizes? like my texture isn't 512x512 it's like 512x268 or something (even number though).

Thanks

Textures have to be in size in power of 2. So resize your texture to 512x256 and it should work. Also if your texture is in tga format, make sure it is not compressed. TexView and converter doesn't like it.

Another tip: tga textures should already show up in O2 if DX mode is enabled.

thx for the reply mike.

Wouldn't know if the texture shows up in O2 or not, because I can't get Buldozer to work (see thread above this one).

I re-textured the entire model again using a 512x512 texture (.jpg image) and made the UV map 512x512.

I unchecked the compress option

I read in the blender wiki and it says it saves textures in .tga format by default. But since my texture derived from a .jpg image (projected from view) not sure if it resaved the texture in the .tga format or not.

tested my model in editor again.. it's still default white/gray colour!

any more ideas?

How do I enable DX mode in O2?

Wouldn't know if the texture shows up in O2 or not, because I can't get Buldozer to work (see thread above this one).
I re-textured the entire model again using a 512x512 texture (.jpg image)

Read more carefully what i wrote. I wasn't talking about Buldozer preview but O2 itself. Also i said uncompressed .tga texture, not .jpg.

For enabling DX mode, there should be a button with the DX icon, tooltip saying "Use Direct3D".

my texture is not .tga it's .JPG!

There i an option in blender when its asking for source for texture.. there is an option for 'From image or movie'.

Thats what I textured from, using a reference image and texture painting from that.

here look at how nice it looks.. I don't want to re-texture it again, just want the texture to be recognized by O2!

finalcut1.jpg

1. save your texture as tga (from that jpg of yours)

2. make sure your texture is using proper naming suffix

3. make sure your texture is assigned to the model

ok.

1.saved texture as tga (paint.net)

2.not sure what you mean - )texture name = texture01.tga)

3. texture was assigned to the model in blender (image packed and uv mapped). HOWEVER, when i went to exported .p3d, i went to faces, face properties and I tried to load texture and it gave me an error ' unable to convert texture, pac2pal error! '

what am I doing wrong?

Is there a tutorial on how to assign textures in O2?

Is the program trying to convert my texture to .paa?

what's the deal with materials? In blender I the material and texture is the same. do i have to make an rvmat now or can I just have it textured?

not working.

renamed the file to texture01_co.tga and still got error message, and model still is not textured.

any tutorials on this?

starting to not like O2 already!

Probably the texture is in compressed tga format. In GIMP, when i save it as .tga format, it gives me a dialogue where i can tick/untick a checkbox for "RLE compression" which has to be unticked. Don't know about other graphic programs. Maybe worth a try with GIMP

no Mike.

I converted the texture in paint.net. It gave me a checkbox for RLE compression which i unchecked. and another option for 24 bit or 32 bit. i checked auto for that.

I renamed the texture from texture01_co.tga (gave errors) to texture01_no.tga (for normal map).

chose face properties, selected tga file and applied (hurray no errors!).

Got buldozer working propely (reinstalled).

when i went into the viewer, I noticed the model still had no texture applied... so I packed .pbo anyway to test in the editor. Still no texture. :butbut:

when I looked into the data file for the old gun (mg15) i notice a bunch of .paa files for the mg15 that were in the data folder. they were all textures.

do I have to make a copy of my texture file and stick in the data folder? as far as I knew the texture is packed into the model, and uv mapped already, but do I still need to include my texture01_no.tga in a data folder?

Basically what I did was replace the old mg15 p3d model with mine, packed it up so i could see what it looked like in game (ju87 model).

but all I want to accomplish right now is to make my gun model textured in game, and hand it over to the mod makers and they can configure the scripts needed to make it function in game.

I don't want to just hand it over and say "needs to be uvmapped and textured" when i've already done all that hard work!

Should I try and convert the .tga file to a .paa?

i'm lost.. I don't know what I need to do in order to make this .p3d use the texture work on the model!

Any chance you could send me the texture file? So i could take a closer look to it.

Files received. Works flawless once the texture is applied correctly. Try the following:

- rename your texture (the .tga) to "texture01_co.tga"

- open the .p3d

- make sure "Use Direct3D" and "show textures" are both enabled in O2, also make it show solid, not wireframe.

- select all by pressing CTRL + A

- Press E to open the face properties window

- in the bottom right part, browse to your .tga texture

- the material filed remains empty (this would be a .rvmat file with normal, specular and other maps)

- Click OK and you're done.

Here a screenshot that might help you (bigger than 100kb, therefor URL link):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9367994/oxygen2_textures.jpg

Thx so much man!!!

You have no idea how much i've grumbled over this!!

All I have to do now is decimate this model a couple of times in blender and export for proper LOD!

CHEERS!!!

1. If you want assign texture with custom name, you must assign material in blender with same name.

2. You cant decimate model in blender3d >=2.5 without uv breaks. You can do it in blender3d 2.49 (via polyreducer plugin) and reopen again in last blender.