Sign in to follow this  
walker

The Console and the PC are dead as gaming platforms so where now?

Hi all

I posted in the codies thread but thought the concepts I was touching on needed a proper airing.

First up consoles or dinosaur tech. Most of them are near seven years old, X box 360 was released on May 12, 2005.

The PC due to its flexability will survive a little longer via download distribution and the fact their graphics continue to improve.

I rarely log on to my PC other than for work, I use one for a recording studio and if I have a report to write, or some development to do, but other than that it takes up less and less of my leisure time.

ArmA III will be the last PC game I buy.

I watch TV on an Android tablet on the move or that I plug in to my TV, it gives me access any program any time I want, the Sky subscription will not be renued when the contract runs out.

The tablet is also where I have started to game as the quality is now already that of a low end console but more importantly it improves every few weeks. Infinte Black and games like it are the future of gaming on the Android platform.

The killer is Google Glasses. Bluetoothed to data-gloves they are a level of gaming tech you would not believe.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Oh good lord. ANOTHER one of these "everything now is rubbish the future is coming" walker threads...

ArmA III will be the last PC game I buy.

Good, then maybe you'll stop making so many nonsense threads.

This is as good as your "OMG PCs are dead, Sony is releasing a holodeck!!1!11!eleven!!1!!" thread. Which was then shown to be just PR bull/viral marketing...

Until games like CoD, BF, ME etc stop making hundreds of millions of dollars profit, consoles and pcs will live on as gaming platforms.

Edited by DM

OMG, the PC is dead. Long live the PC.

Honestly, the PC was called dead so many times and it still is alive, it's just boring. Every platform has it's weaks and strongs, be it PC, Console or Tablets (and whatever the future brings).

As you say yourself, Tablets are as powerful as low end consoles. Just look at the so-called "Gaming Laptops" how they perform: short battery life and a weight that almost spits on the term "transportable". It comes down to what you expect and what you play. I can't imagine to plug in TrackIR, X52Pro HOTAS, Rudder pedals and Saitek PCDash2 to a Tablet to play DCS:A10 on it.

I even think to remember to have read a article recently that says that game sales on PC have significantly increased.

Yeah, the PC is dead, cool story, Bro.

:EDITH:

Personally i don't think the google glasses will be a success:

google-glasses-596.jpg

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Somehow I fail to see how a tablet OS will replace our pcs.I think since 2001 people keep saying pc gaming will die,but don't worry,in 20 years people will still play on their pcs while others will say how dead this platform is.

Oh and btw I had an Asus Transformer and at first it was a welcomed addition to my laptop,but now I got rid of both my laptop(was pretty old) and the tablet,and got them replaced by an Asus Zenbook.Don't really see the use of the tablet while I have my super light ultrabook.

Also gaming on a tablet???How the hell can you game on that OS??I mean serious gaming not Angry Birds or some dumb shooter tailored for the platform.

Doesn't mean I hate Android or Google,it's very useful as smartphone OS but that's about it.

Edited by Krycek

Consoles aren´t dead. Both sony and microsoft are working on next gen gaming consoles to be released around 2013 - 14. What´s slowly going to die out is PC gaming. The people that were there at the apex of PC gaming are by now getting older, getting involved in job, family, and other, more interesting or rewarding hobbies. New people coming to PCs are either doing it because they need to for the job, or they´re a small group of tech savvy people who care about technology and being at the cutting edge. PC gaming is in trouble because it´s harder to get into PCs: people get lazy. Consoles are much easier than PC games, just pop the disc in and play. With PCs, you have to make sure you buy a good rig, make sure you know how to operate the OS, make sure you have drivers and peripherals set up correctly, know how to fix things if they don´t work, manage disc space and general setup (especially networking), install the game and then deal with possible hiccups there because of hardware/software conflicts or problems.

Consoles are much easier to develop for too as far as I´m informed, because of standardized hardware and software kits.

We PC gamers are a dying breed. Console gamers are not.

(Edit: Actually the amount of PC gamers over the past ten years is probably, on average, pretty constant. Just in relation to people working with PCs and in relation to Console gamer numbers, it´s gotten smaller. Dedicated PC games with big player bases such as WOW or other upcoming A-games that are PC-only increase the numbers a little, but the market is still with the consoles.)

Probably some truth in what he says but 'premature interlocution' as usual. ;)

Why would I use a tablet to game? I love my 24" screen! How do you type code on it efficiently? How do you multitask? This PC is only for browsing Facebook mantra you see in Windows 8, Tablets and Ubuntu Unity really depresses me. I like having 50 windows open FFS!!!!! I don't want my PC functionality hidden from me, I have a brain!!!!

Edited by PELHAM

were now, I can say you were now, I fidn myself in the real world playgroudsn more and more often these days since games got more and more boring...we play the same repeteive shit for 20 years now and im out of it finally.

A2 was the last game for me.

Even if we get tablets with multi-core processing and improved graphics and the technical mumbojumbo that can hurt the PC business in what concerns gaming, who will want to code/play a game like Skyrim or BF3 or even ArmA3 in a 10.1" screen? Even if you get to plug it to a bigger screen, unless ARM processors get godlike efficiency we will have lithium batteries with autonomy of what? 10 minutes?

What I think is already happening is that consoles and tablets are concentrating the less mature and more arcade gamers/games, while PC remains king amongst the simulation, strategy, FPS and RPG games. And I don't think Nvidia, AMD and Intel can profit that much from tablets, that they can stop improving and launching new PC hardware. Because, let's be honest, beside games and a few other applications, there is no need for a new CPU or GPU for simple PC work like Office and Facebook.

Also, what would be of the modding communities like this one?

The Console and the PC are dead.

What's alive? Iphone and tablet, casual gaming. What's next games on a television? Seriously LOL thread.

and Fword Google, I'm not buying anything from them. Luckily for me I decided to buy Nokia smarthone with Symbian than smartphone with Google Android. Only thing I need is google spying technology, no thanks.

Oh dear, the futurist society has got to walker.

Stop watching the dross, you might find your being swayed by that great power of the brainwash. Its only as dead as you allow it to be by persuasion.

Thats in ref to "its dead".

Edited by mrcash2009

First up consoles or dinosaur tech. Most of them are near seven years old, X box 360 was released on May 12, 2005.

The PC due to its flexability will survive a little longer via download distribution and the fact their graphics continue to improve.

I

Yet I know that I will die also some day but I still keep on breathing.

C'mon.... even if so, will it matter? I still love playing with outdated consoles and pc because it would also be waste of resources to keep getting the latest gadgets just because it's the hip thing to do.

The Console and the PC are evolving gaming platforms so where now?

Fixed. :grinning:

Hi all

It is simply math people.

If you are developing a game you are looking to a one and a half to three year cycle.

Google Glasses will be formally announced and presented in June. Proper development release is then. For release to public they are looking at Christmas 2012, that is this year. Some developers are already developing games to port to it, including driving games and a flight sim, a few have already been allowed to see the dev versions to help direct functionality. The Data Gloves and drivers have already been developed and tested by an academic team; interactive objects have also been trialed.

Development in Android is similar to BIS's model of continuous improvement so functionality will grow in the same way, often triggered by developer/mod team demand as it is with ArmA.

The mobile market is taking market share from consoles, which are in accelerating decline, loosing over 5 billion last year to reach $24.7 billion sales, the mobile game market is expanding exponentially according to Gartner, it was 8.5 Billion last year and expected to reach 12 to 15 billion this year. At those relative rates of decline versus growth the mobile game market will surpass Consoles in 2013. The Battlefield series will move to Tablet this year.

If you are looking to release in the next year or three Android is your biggest market platform many more intelligent developers are already going this way.

Kind Regards walker

It is simply math people.

last year to reach $24.7 billion sales

Clearly the [pc/console] gaming industry is dooooomed and will be gone by the end of the year...

With profits that small how can they ever consider to continue developing for these platforms.

The Battlefield series will move to Tablet this year.

Got anything to backup that claim?

Hi all

In reply to this point by DM

...Got anything to backup that claim?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/battlefield-3-aftershock-coming-to-ios/

Further on the math the installed base for all three major console platforms is only 150 million.

Smartphone installed base is more than twice that and rising. Android reached 55% of the US installed base this year compared to both Apple, Blackberry, Windows etc.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/23/ios_android_reach_55_penetration_with_us_installed_base_of_109m.html

In the rest of the world Adroid has a far bigger market share.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Pfff, CoD has been on mobile devices since World at War. Its hardly an announcement by DICE saying "we're only developing for mobile platforms now"

Drama queen...

Hi all

Just to make it clear I do not like Battlefield!

But as a pointer to where things are going:

iQnLOCrZaWg

Bare in mind that I can already play my Android games, including a race driving sim and a 3D MMOG space sim in Full HD on my TV.

Kind Regards walker

OK Walker this could already be described as crossposting, please stop it. PC are not going to die that fast, they are evolving.

P.S.: Judging by this Trailer its a very bad game!

Fragmentation issues like three major versions of the OS with a multitude of carrier- and h/w vendor-specific UI enhancements ontop of that are running on people's devices right now, spread across platforms with 16+ different screen sizes and formats == silly amounts of labour and time to get your stuff working well across all the majority of devices in the market. And then along comes Google, trying to force all the developers into Wallet if they want to make business via Play and have the most nimble piece of your profits (which aren't that great to begin with thanks to everything mentioned previously). Developers are already throwing the towel on Android, Google seriously needs to get their shit together if they want to stay competetive.

PC gaming is not dead, PC gaming will just expand into PC Tablet gaming ;) with arrival of Windows 8

do You think developing games for Android differs that much from developing game for linux or iOS or Windows ?

in moment You have multiplatform engine, it doesn't matter if it's ARM or x86/x64

personally my PC gaming is not gunna change even if i get Tablet with:

1ms touchscreen with 2048x1536 or 1920x1200 display, S-IPS or better

display must handle at minimum 10 bits per color component (DeepColor minimum)

quadcore 4GHz (equal to todays desktop quadcore)

quadGPU (same or faster than todays desktop, DX11.1)

16-32GB RAM

4GB VRAM

1TB SSD

why?

well because it has

1. USB 3.0+ so i can plug at home my keyboard and mouse

2. DisplayPort/HDMI so i can plug any big display or TV to it

3. wireless and wired LAN

hopefully soon we get wireless video transfer on 40GHz so no more cable needed :)

result?

it's just like my desktop PC, only 50 times smaller and lighter and i can take it anytime, anywhere

and yes, i can play ARMA 3 on it :)

p.s. what else my dream tablet shall have?

ofcourse

1. motion sensor (capable recognize tablet's incline) and G force sensor

2. both sides camera supporting Night Vision, IR is good bonus

3. dual-lenses camera for stereoscopic recognize

3. IR emitter for Kinect like features

4. laser projector (pico)

5. support for GPS, Galileo, GLONASS and new chinese one

Edited by Dwarden

Just wonder if walkers tablet is 100% tinfoiled just in case of the possible conspiracy of dead pc's and consoles against the hip toys? :P