Poll: MP in Carrier Command?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Multiplayer vs Delaying the game?

They should do player-per-vehicle multiplayer.

It will mean 8v8 which will be cool, there will be some teamplay involved as well. Naturally the commander will be able to take over vehicles, not taken by players yet (which will also mean there always will be 1 vehicle for the commander)

Just hope AI will be properly good.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by metalcraze View Post
    They should do player-per-vehicle multiplayer.

It will mean 8v8 which will be cool, there will be some teamplay involved as well. Naturally the commander will be able to take over vehicles, not taken by players yet (which will also mean there always will be 1 vehicle for the commander)

Just hope AI will be properly good.
    Check out this thread and more specifically my lengthy post which details my thoughts regarding this;

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ltiple-players
    It is said that the most lethal weapon or the most effective tool of all is man's brain.
    Then the destructive or creative possibilities of many minds working together is staggering.

In real life, I much prefer the creative cooperation part of this fact.
    In gaming, I can enjoy the combat cohesion without shame.

No multiplayer at launch = lower review scores = less sales.
    Check out my music on SoundCloud. Thank you.
    - ArmA 2 Optimisation tips, FPS Helper v1.21, ArmA2 chat

Quote Originally Posted by Dead3yez View Post
    No multiplayer at launch = lower review scores = less sales.
    Bugged to death game at launch = far lower review scores = far less sales

Better to do at least one thing right on release than to mess everything up. And I'm not expecting too many really high review scores anyway, BIS isn't paying for their review scores to be in the +90% area unlike some others. There are very few gaming sites that I would call independent in their reviewing scores.
    Creating ArmA:CWA addons at a snail's pace and newsposter @ OFPr.info.

Only stupid people care about review scores

Bugged to death game at launch will mean lower sales either way.

Delay the game and include multiplayer.

This game needs to come out with as much "Ooomph" and momentum as possible!
    Intezar. Sinking enemy high-tech carriers since 1991.

A single player game that works, just to be safe...
    A MP addition, just to confirm.

I want a BIS game that works outadabox.
    Nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogX View Post
    I always play the single player first and the MP later anyway, so I voted to add MP later in a patch.
    Well, I frenetically played Age of Mythology and its expansion online for like 10 years, but failed to complete the singleplayer campaign for reasons of lack of interest. Multiplayer is what counts, especially nowadays.

The historical CC was good as it was, but with a multiplayer option it would even have been 100x better.

TaktiX is right about one thing though - there is a surprising lack of hype around this game.
    I see a possible reason in the way this project was conducted in the past. They announced the game, then let the game website rot literally for years without anything happening, so I already had the impression that the game was swimming in the water like a fish with belly facing upwards. Now that they have eventually restarted to make progress, where should a sudden hype come from? Especially now that they have spectacularly missed their planned release date and postponed it for another half year?

I still wonder whether this will end like the Carrier 2-project from Martig G Bell, who swore that he would eventually complete it, no matter how many years it would take, even though he had been advised to get himself some help so that he could finish it in a timely manner. Then BI bought the rights on the game name "Carrier Command", which made Martin post "Vulcan is now an enemy island!" and abandon his game, which was already in a state where you could drive around with your carrier, operate Mantas and Walruses, and behold beautiful islands.

Quote Originally Posted by JdB View Post
    I can virtually guarantee they won't delay the release
    LOL... now they have...

In fact, my understanding is that MP isn't actually confirmed at all yet.
    The wording always seems to be "we would like to add it later". As of now, at least from what I have seen or heard, no BI employee has actually said "yes, we are definitely adding MP post-release", or something of the sort. This usually means it's not yet decided whether or not it will be implemented. Most likely it depends on how well the game sells.
    That is what I fear as well. It will also not meet the nature of its great predecessor in other respects. The story will be linear; you will hardly have the option to strategically shape your island empire as you could in the strategy campaign of the original Carrier Command. You will mostly be forced to play mission after mission, following a set plot. I fear it will be a feeling as if you were following a "walkthrough" to a game.You will be doing what you need to do next; you have little choice. Essentially it will be like watching a movie, only that you have to complete a task in order to be allowed into the next scene. This obviously does not allow for multiplayer, because multiplayer relies on flexibility and strategic choices.

I remember a similar thing from Jagged Alliance 2. It was a great game with a lot of flexibility, but then they released the "Unfinished Business" extension, which removed the freedom and forced you to replay a preset storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndPain View Post
    LOL... now they have...
    Your point is moot as they didn't delay the release to include what this topic is about, Multiplayer :P

The release appears to be for a more polished game, not additional content. If it had been, I am fairly sure they would have mentioned such positive news. I'm somehow fearing that this means another delay for ArmA3 as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by JdB View Post
    Your point is moot as they didn't delay the release to include what this topic is about, Multiplayer :P

The release appears to be for a more polished game, not additional content. If it had been, I am fairly sure they would have mentioned such positive news. I'm somehow fearing that this means another delay for ArmA3 as well ...
    I haven't seen them say what the delay is about, it would not surprise me if they were going to try and add some level of MP into it - otherwise it seems a lengthy delay when the game is ready for an "open" BETA .. ..

G

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast