Sign in to follow this  
eble

optical camouflage Mercedes Benz

Mercedes having a little fun with optical camo - crude but fun.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/who-needs-a-cloak-mercedes-benz-creates-an-invisible-car/story-e6frfrnr-1226289587065

SCIENTISTS have now figured out how to make an entire car disappear.

Using optical camouflage Mercedes Benz created the illusion that their new zero emissions F-Cell car is not even there at all.

Taking the principal that to see through something you need to see what's behind it, they covered the driver's side of the car in mats of LEDs, and mounted a digital SLR camera on the opposite side of the vehicle.

The camera shoots video on the passenger side of the car and the video is displayed in real time on the driver side of the automobile.

This ingenious approach, originally pioneered by scientists at the University of Tokyo, works on the same principles of the blue screen used by TV weather forecasters and Hollywood filmmakers.

The idea also mimics the iPad 2 Halloween costume that seems to displays a gaping hole in the human body.

The next conundrum-what to do with an invisible car ? Take it on a week long tour of Germany, obviously.

In Mercedes' promotional video, stupefied Muggles stare and fall about in shock as the team put the car through its paces along the highways of Hamburg and the bridges of Bavaria.

Meanwhile online. while some pessimistic YouTube users were wary, anticipating that invisible cars would no doubt lead to brutal crashes, others fantasised about bring able to park anywhere at all, without getting a ticket.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/who-needs-a-cloak-mercedes-benz-creates-an-invisible-car/story-e6frfrnr-1226289587065#ixzz1oJOwFs51

well this is how cheap optical camouflage for future conflicts looks ...

the more expensive one uses optical nanofibers to actually bend the light around the object

Imagine how things would be when you can print out a few sheets of active OLED screens with pixel-sized camera's. It's already possible, just not on large scale yet.

Mercedes-Benz is one of the largest European defense suppliers, although they usually only sell engines, vehicle chassis or engine electronics.

The age of Predator like camo has come! Now we need more powerful spaceships and foreign life on other planets to hunt down :o

PS: As always, i want one!

Just Image Bradley or any war vehicles with this feature :D! I think community can see some like this in A3 ;)!

Here need some improvements with FOV, but in all looks not bad

My idea would be to use flexible OLED's (Sony made them) wrap the car/object in them and have at least 4 camera's covering the angles. seems pretty straight foward.

You could use those wheel spinners for the wheels (The hub caps stay static and don't move) only thing moving would be the tyres!

Anyway you could make this relatively cheap I'd expect.

I think community can see some like this in A3

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh YOU!

(You'e seen the "OMG future weapons, this franchise is DEAD!!1!11!!!1" rage threads, right? :j:

Camo mostly works as long as the person/vehicle/object doesn't move.... imo there are portable devices that can scan + track for interferences/noise or mismatch (gap analysis).

i don't know why people want cars that go invisible.

There's enough idiots on the roads, they will just go invisible and get rear ended by someone flying up behind them

well this is how cheap optical camouflage for future conflicts looks ...

the more expensive one uses optical nanofibers to actually bend the light around the object

Translation: A3 Superweapon is a giant invisible flying dinosaur that can swim underwater.