Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Depiction of war in video games

Master Gunnery Sergeant OnlyRazor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vilas View Post
    i don't like wars, i don't like politicians, i don't like generals , i don't like PMC ideas , they serve pocket, not "white eagle, history, tradition, religion",
    also when there is high-tech against poor people, it is also for me not fair and not good, there are no equality in chances, no warrior ideas, which people fighting martial arts believe,
    noone who train Karate would attack man on wheelchair (it would be not honor to attack poor and weak, right?), but some high-tech FLIR with 1 meter of chobban attack old guy with Mosin :/
    i believe in army which defend country against attack, but PMCs are for me usual killers and criminals cause they do it for money, not for patriotism and "white eagle"
    shame that there are wars abroad countries borders,
    I get the gist of what you're saying, but we're back to PMCs being violent criminal scum again. Sure, they might be violent as this W persona said, but criminal scum? Ever heard of Haditha? Any controversy-inspiring war crime perpetrated by the Allies and Axis during the World Wars? PMCs are from far the worst type of people out there, and as a matter of fact, perfectly exemplify human nature. "I'm first." Again, as the article said, those patriot types that return from the wars a couple of appendages light are usually overly-idealistic newcomers. Of course, I'm going along with a stereotype that's probably mostly wrong. Anyway, back on my point, just because they do war for money doesn't mean they are not worthy of some respect from the general public.
    /rant
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lle View Post
    But obviously it's very hard for people these days to make use of BRAIN v1.0.

Very clear thoughts. And it makes sense too: War is the most extreme situation a human being can find themselves in, and unless you´re "made" for it (ie, sociopathic, violent and cold), it -will- break you.

I am not sure on the statistics of the guy (with the 20% of people getting PTSD), but I would still love to see characters like -this- be portrayed in a game like Arma. Instead of the hero types. War for wars sake, and all that.

As for PMCs being criminal scum, I think that´s not really correct. They may in many cases be sociopaths, but actual soldiers are no different. A guy that was part of a collaborative writing community I was part of once joined the USMC solely for the reason to get to inflict some real violence on people. Not for country or flag, he simply wanted to go and shoot at people, be a Marine.

War is an unfortunate part of the human condition, and as long as there are people who believe that they need to impose their world view upon others, there will be violence.

As far as games go:

I would love to see a more gritty, realistic, non-propagandistic and -honest- take on what combat is like. No heroes, no princesses in castles, no politics or world-moving stories, just soldiers on the task of the day, trying to get each other trough, and do some damage while being at it.

I hope Arma 3 will come closer to that than any other game before, with the main character not being a knight in shining armour, but a darker, more brutal personality. Along with his buddies.

Railgun advocate

Encumbrance + Fatigue System basic suggestions: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11030
    Suggestion for improvement in absence of 3D vehicle interiors: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12555
    Request to improve control of vehicle AI: control turning out, weapons and engine on/off: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13397
    DR style handling of Missile Launcher reloading: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11075

Quote Originally Posted by InstaGoat View Post
    A guy that was part of a collaborative writing community I was part of once joined the USMC solely for the reason to get to inflict some real violence on people. Not for country or flag, he simply wanted to go and shoot at people, be a Marine.
    why he was not put to mad-house then ? such cycos should be imprisoned in mad-houses for whole life ,
    to be policeman and get pistol there are psychological tests and psychological researches on individual cadet before giving him a pistol

are there no psychological tests in your countries ? guy who wanna murder people cannot have acces to gun

Am I the only one who's not buying this? Not that I don't agree with what it describes, but I find hilarious that some guy like this one "have an issue with the depiction of war in videogames"... I mean, it seems more like an editorial's interest to write those things. I don't see why the real character would really give a damn.

War is an unfortunate part of the human condition, and as long as there are people who believe that they need to impose their world view upon others, there will be violence.
    I think "the real need to impose someone's decision upon limited resources" would be more like it.

I hope Arma 3 will come closer to that than any other game before, with the main character not being a knight in shining armour, but a darker, more brutal personality. Along with his buddies.
    Yeah... becouse that was never used before...

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

guy who wanna murder people cannot have acces to gun
    Well... not everyone can play Arma .

Master Gunnery Sergeant ArmAriffic's Avatar
    http://au.games.ign.com/articles/121/1218964p1.html
    here is another one I saw on IGN the other day, it's similar
    Spoiler:

I shall not insult moderators
    why he was not put to mad-house then ? such cycos should be imprisoned in mad-houses for whole life ,
    to be policeman and get pistol there are psychological tests and psychological researches on individual cadet before giving him a pistol

are there no psychological tests in your countries ? guy who wanna murder people cannot have acces to gun
    Perfectly logical really (fingers crossed)

You can't fight this:
    with this:

You see someone has given the first mob, who want to kill someone, some guns and bombs. We need equivalent people to whom we can give guns and bombs or it will not work.
    Last edited by PELHAM; Mar 2 2012 at 21:12.

those which you shown are in their own HOMELAND not on your territory and they want their countries to follow it's traditions

I shall not insult moderators
    Yeah change the argument as soon as you lose it or whatever, but in answer to your original question............
    You can't fight this [image above] with this [image above].......right?

Master Gunnery Sergeant Sudayev's Avatar
    "War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way 'til you can." W.Churchill

Video Games are far from reality. There is no comfy seats, multiples lives and health regen. Real war hurts, degrades and mind twist.
    Exactly the same as karate films being far from the real fights.

Evil man make you kill me - Evil man make me kill you...
    Arma: Cold War Assault - Strong

look at WW2 , WW1
    people who fought here - defended their homeland countries against aggression from abroad,
    not had will to kill and not loved violence , but defended "nation, brothers, fathers, homes"

policeman has psychological tests , he is not cyco, he wants to fight criminals, makes difference

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast