Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Jedra's mini Time-Trial Pack

Jedra's (not so) Mini Time-Trial Pack

montage.jpg

You will find in total eleven Time Trials in this pack. There are five for the light chopper, five for the medium chopper and one for the heavy chopper. The light and the medium trials are essentially the same. The difference being that you can't throw a medium chopper around like a light chopper!

Light Choppers

JEDTT01 - City Break

JEDTT02 - Dances with fish

JEDTT03 - Going to the Game

JEDTT04 - I don't like Mondays

JEDTT05 - A bridge far too far

Medium Choppers

JEDTT06 - City Break

JEDTT07 - Dances with fish

JEDTT08 - Going to the Game

JEDTT09 - I don't like Mondays

JEDTT10 - A bridge far too far

Heavy Choppers

JEDTT11 - Rolling, Rolling, Rolling *latest Take On Helicopters patch needed as you'll need the 'rolling landing ability'!

Download from my server

The missions load as a mod and in the downloaded rar, once unpacked, you will find a folder called @JedraMissions. Copy this to you Take On Helicopters root folder. Launch the mod with the "-mod=@JedraMissions" switch.

Once loaded you will find them with the rest of your Time Trials in Single Player/Time Trials

If you like them, I might make some more - so please give some feedback if you can spare the time.

Please note - I am not the best pilot in the world, so the bronze silver and gold times may either be too easy or too hard. I basically made the gold time a few seconds quicker than I could do it, just to give those with more skills than me a better challenge. If you think I should change the times then please let me know!

I hope you enjoy this little addon!

UPDATE

Lot's of changes this time....

• Added six new time-trials (five medium and one heavy).
  • The heavy time trial makes use of the rolling landing/takeoff/taxi ability of wheel equiped choppers (or should if you do it right!).
  • I have automatically switched on the Landing Lights in the 'I don't like Mondays' time trials - gives you more of a fighting chance.
  • I have fixed an errant checkpoint in the 'A bridge far too far' mission.
  • Added three new liveries. One each for the light, medium and heavy. They are available in the editor under Light [brushed steel], medium [brushed steel] and heavy [brushed steel]. I think I may have given them an Emergency Services parent class - don't know why! Nothing graphically stunning here - I am just playing around.
  • The expansions menu is now properly laid out for this addon.
  • Made a lot of the paa files smaller (although with the liveries the package is bigger than it was).
  • Finally solved the 'world peace' issue.
  • Discovered the meaning to life, the universe and everything.
  • Drank lots of coffee, and then tea when I ran out of coffee.

A note on "I don't like Mondays" - this is somewhat experimental and is extremely challenging. Full credit for the lighting script goes to sparcdr and the full script can be found in this post. It adds a little twist to the Time Trial experience!

SOURCE MISSIONS

You will find a folder in the download which contains my source missions. These are the missions I build to layout the time trial before converting them into a time trial config. This will make more sense once DnA produces his time trial guide - I have added them so you all have everything I used to build the trials. The source files are not needed to install the mod - they are just for your reference!

Edited by Jedra
Added new time trials.

Moarr Time Trials! Great stuff Jedra :yay:

Take_On_Jedra1.jpg

I had fun with these quick trails; some feedback:

• It's a very nice little package, including overview images and texts.
  • Consider placing your new TTs inside a subfolder of Time Trials (you may need a fix from the incoming patch for the overviews to work).
  • The gold times can be even a little bit harder, as I got two of them in one go. I'm good, but they will be Derbysieged :cool:
  • I have a guide prepared for other TT designers, with a sample on how to quickly make new TTs. It's awaiting to be published, because I want the improvements coming in the next patch to be out first.

Take_On_Jedra2.jpg

JEDTT01

01:21.297

• Clean and simple trial
  • If you don't pay attention, you'll clip the main rotor: nice.
  • The 2 CPs near each other are a good challenge.
  • I liked the decision to go left or right of the Speedle. One option is less of a distance, but the other gives a better racing line to the next CP.

JEDTT02

03:40.815

• It was nice to fly so low over the water and see the downtown waterfront from a different angle. Some CPs could even be lower.
  • You could perhaps make use of some obstacles near the waterfront, like cranes, containers, etc. to add some challenge.

JEDTT03

02:52.643

• Loving the stadium dips. If you plan the approach wrong, you will not be able to pull up in time: cool!
  • The route to the last CP on the way back could be made a little more interesting perhaps.

Take_On_Jedra3.jpg

Great feedback - thanks. I will tweak them over the weekend and add in another one I started last night.

I wanted to do something that would teach people how to fly in nice curves in tight spots. The water one was to try and instill some concentration while performing long runs close to the water - I will make that one more interesting as you suggested. The stadium one was done very late last night and I enjoyed flying it myself - I will make the 'home run' a bit more challenging!

A guide would be great, as once I started to do this, I realised it was much easier than I thought it was going to be - you guys have done all the hard work building the TimeTrial framework! Once I had built a template mission and found bis_fnc_grabTimeTrial it was just a matter of laying out the course. I think once people realise that you don't need any code (other than a small config entry) there will be time trials a plenty! There is a lot of stuff like this hidden behind the scenes - you have done an excellent job in building up a real plug and play mission system.

Should get a few more downloads as its reached there Facebook page incase you didnt know :p

I always wanted to be famous! No pressure on the next set of TTs then:p

I am in the process of tweaking them and have a couple more to add - should be up by the end of tomorrow!

Added some new time trials and tweaked the others. You'll need to re-download using the link in the first post to get the new content.

Enjoy!

I am forgetting my manners - thanks for the mirror Dark!

Edited by Jedra

Just copying the actual jedraMissions.pbo into the TOH Addons folder also places these trials ready to use and individually selectable from Time Trials menu.

Thanks for making them available. Good challenges with only metres to spare.

Just copying the actual jedraMissions.pbo into the TOH Addons folder also places these trials ready to use and individually selectable from Time Trials menu.

Thanks for making them available. Good challenges with only metres to spare.

Yes, that will also work. However it's not advisable to add pbos directly into your ToH Addons folder. Should you patch the game, you may lose any custom addons in the addons folder. Also, you increase the risk of overwriting a core game pbo. Basically it's better to leave that folder alone!

However, whatever works for you is good and I am glad you are enjoying the TTs. Should I get a positive response I'll do some more in a while once the next patch is out and I can put them in a folder.

Hi Jedra.

Thanks for explaining why it is not advisable to copy pbo straight into the Addons folder.

However, I don't understand " Launch the mod with the "-mod=@JedraMissions" switch".

Could you explain wher this must be added.

I am sure many others will dl your TimeTrials - they give a great sense of speed and proximity.

AND the trials actually help with gaining control skill of the helos. So good for training.

Which version of Take On Helicopters have you got? Steam, Sprocket, DVD?

However, I don't understand " Launch the mod with the "-mod=@JedraMissions" switch".

If you have a desktop shortcut, then this is a parameter to add to the EXE itself (Target field). Yet another way is to not use the switch, and visit the Expansions menu in-game. There you can enable the mod, restart and it will be loaded.

Thanks everyone for quick replies.

I went to the updated mod guide for TOH - I understand. I will use the line to disable startup screens.

And I think I will try using the expansions menu.

I have DVD version.

To coincide with the new patch, I have updated the mission pack in the link on the first post. The Time Trials will now appear in a submenu within Time Trials called 'Jedra's Time Trials'. Should help to keep things tidy!

Nice use of the author-tag to show your logo! For final releases you can also configure CfgMods and mod.cpp in the @JedraMissions folder to show your information / logo in the Expansions menu.

JEDTT04

01:03.865 (attempt #1)

• Cool new approach to night-time TTs, though I really had to enable landing lights. There's functionality now to run custom code upon init. You can consider automatically enabling them. Using nvg = 1 does it, but it's not what you're after judging from the overview :)
  • Gold can still be a bit tougher

JEDTT05

03:39.755 (attempt #2)

• Nice figure 8 design
  • Really liking the big drops after the turns, especially the one directly going under a bridge
  • One CP is at a strange angle: the center one in the second big turn (hence 2 attempts ;))

Thanks again for your feedback!

Yes, there is a misplaced ring - the appoach used to be different and I forgot to change that one - I'll twist it round a bit!

I was just looking at the initfunc function in the Time Trial fsm. The way I did the lights was to make a custom mission folder and run the script from init.sqf after the TT's got initialised. I'll play with this instead as it means I don't need my own copy of the mission folder to run a script. I'll add some lights to the helicopter for those who are scared of the dark ;-)

Thanks for your comments and advice - appreciated!

Hi all, me again!

Check the first post and my server link for the latest version - lots of changes and new stuff this time.

I'll stop bothering you all now. Until I get my hands on the Hind that is!!

I had a nice evening of fun with the time trials, thanks Jedra for this pack, because the game as is it's a bit sparse in content *cough*

Cool - glad you enjoyed it! Did you try the Taxi missions as well?

I am currently working on a mission for Arma 2 - once it is done I will convert it for Hinds, but it will need the 'Take On Arma' patch whenever that is released.

Maybe I will sneak in another ToH mission if I can find the inspiration - it really needs some MP content as that is definitely a bit sparse!

Is it possible to create mission like "Take on Taxi" but for multiplayer?

Like Domination - many "targets" but pickup a people ect.?

It's possible! I am in the middle of another MP mission at the moment, I'll maybe look at this next.

In the meantime, you can play Domination on Take On Rearmed if you have all the arma stuff.

It's possible! I am in the middle of another MP mission at the moment, I'll maybe look at this next.

In the meantime, you can play Domination on Take On Rearmed if you have all the arma stuff.

Yes, tested but not many players to do tasks in this missions (with ToH). I was killed in 2 minutes ;).