Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Single key press for Vehicle Board and Eject

Triggered by this thread, Assign a key to vehicle, but not a good subforum to "test".

This here topic/thread is more about a discussion/testing at this stage.

I'd be interested what people think of this addon I made and what variations/changes are best.

Boarding / Eject Key Bind

Left Shift - Eject a vehicle or enter the first available position of a vehicle within 10 meters.

Your "cursor" needs to be pointing at the vehicle before you press the L-Shift

>> Download <<

Requires CBA (Extended EH'ers)

Not fully bug tested.

Questions;

- Is the "instant" boarding good or bad?

- Should it be the normal animated Get In and Get Out ?

- Is the 10 meter thing going to be an issue for larger or smaller vehicles?

- I suspect you can board an enemy vehicle !! Good ? LOL

- Any other side effects/conflicts noticed?

- Whats a better key or key combination?

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Left Shift is extensively used by default as the "walk" mode key, so I would be worried about teleporting into vehicles while trying to walk around them accidentally. :) Maybe something like Alt-E? "E" for Enter and Alt coz it's not shift. :) Also leaning and looking are better side effects than entering vehicles accidentally or slowing down while under fire.

sorry i dont quite get the idea of the addon - his moving vehicle case is rather specific

you can already enter a vehicle by the interact key for the given position

and there is also a key action for both get out and eject

code wise you better use switch case to avoid issues

you may also have to check if the vehicle actually has the given positions

sorry i dont quite get the idea of the addon -

I think it's aimed at getting into moving vehicles when the addaction menu is unstable because it's moving.

sorry i dont quite get the idea of the addon - his moving vehicle case is rather specific

I said "Trigger by", I didn't say "addressing problem".

As Tankbuster said .......

I've always like games that allowed you to enter and exit a vehicle with a single key. At least with ArmA once in a vehicle you can usually move seats.

And yes, it happens to work for a hovering chopper also.

code wise you better use switch case to avoid issues

you may also have to check if the vehicle actually has the given positions

LOL .... nice of you to disassemble my addon, but then do fuck-all testing.

.... you'd have worked out that using switchcase is actually a disadvantage.

how is it a disadvantage? disassembled your addon? had a bad day?

yes i have experience with it because i made such functionality for my game mode..

I'd have thought you should process whatever key the user already has bound for GetOut so it remains configurable through the standard binds dialog. If the player is in a vehicle let the default action run and only execute your logic if the player isn't already in one.

this is an interesting idea.

good to explore it

personally i use dbl tap F to get out and dbl tap space to eject - both have saved my lives loads - i don't use a key to get in cos i want to choose gunner seat etc

the lag /desynch experienced in MP might be an issue to test out - this is why the mod could be useful - because you run up to a vehicle under fire then stand there for 10-15s praying and flinching waiting for the get-in icon to come up...

thinking about it - if it checked vacancy against priority - driver/gunner/commander/cargo that would be perfect

so many of our guys get in the back seat of an armed humvee cos they dont go to the correct side of the vehicle to mount (which is madness given the weapon is in the middle of the vehicle!)

good idea - will give it a try

EDIT

i ran it clientside on our server (did not put it on server) and it doesn't work in MP.

assume therefore it must be on server and client?

Edited by eggbeast

... thinking about it - if it checked vacancy against priority - driver/gunner/commander/cargo that would be perfect ....

Thats exactly what it does now.

If theres no driver, it tries to movein driver position.

If that fails (player not found inside vehicle yet), it checks if there is a gunner. If that movin fails (player not found inside vehicle yet), it tries commander etc etc

(hence not using switch case)

i ran it clientside on our server (did not put it on server) and it doesn't work in MP.

assume therefore it must be on server and client?

Bugger. Thanks for the feedback.

It was only meant to be clientside but looking at "moveinxxxx" commands, I can see its likely not going to work with vehicles that aren't local to client.

I'd have thought you should process whatever key the user already has bound for GetOut so it remains configurable through the standard binds dialog. If the player is in a vehicle let the default action run and only execute your logic if the player isn't already in one.

Well, if the player has bound the key, then its no longer "single key".

..... plus ArmA doesn't provide a GetIn key bind option ......... hence the reason for this addon.

how is it a disadvantage? disassembled your addon? had a bad day?

yes i have experience with it because i made such functionality for my game mode..

So you have experience with YOUR addon, but not testing this one ..... the subject of THIS thread?

...... handy feedback there, really useful, not.

Feel free to post code that would work, I have never suggested I was anything other than an amateur coder.

Further Testing

Instead of "moveinxxxxx" commands I tried the actions "getinxxxxx" as this may work in MP.

Unfortunately its very buggy and little better than using the the standard menu actions ...... and thats just client side.

Part of the issue relates to whether the vehicle is "revealed" to the player. This can cause significant delays.

Back to the drawing board for something that works in MP .........

Ideas welcome.

yeah that's what i figured - the delay in revealing the vehicle is gonna be a headache... this to me would be the benefit of the mod! you could run a constant nearestobjects car, tank, truck, etc array to help preload the vehicles on client?