Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Foliage cover and drawing distance?

Foliage cover and drawing distance?

One thing I really disliked (game ruiner imho)with ARMA2 was the short range of the foliage cover.
    It was much easier to spot people 500m away, as there was NO graphical foliage there; than lets say 50m away, where the foliage was drawn.
    It was way too easy to spot people lying on the ground hiding in the distance: In real-life there is no way you would see someone with camouflage clothing hiding behind a tree/bushes whatever 500m away.
    In ARMA2 they stick out like......................<-fill in something suitable

Any improvement there in ARMA3?
    Is ARMA3 using same graphic engine as ARMA2? Upgraded version? Different engine?

Looking forward to it!

Take a look here and see for yourself

They are working on improving the light engine,effects colors etc, but no news on scalable vegetation draw distance as of yet.

There will be little done with foliage draw distance because if it was to be drawn even 200m out videocards would burn and people would cry again that a futureproof game doesn't run well on maximum on their top system (because if it's a top system today it should handle everything totally no matter the detail. Derp)

BIS will increase the draw distance of bushes and other small objects akin to what McNools did at Hazar-Kot though. Oh and FYI in ArmA2 it's nigh to impossible to see anyone 500m away unless with optics.
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

Dx10/11 can help somewhat with this?

Maybe they'll add different draw distance settings for the different categories of objects. If not in the GUI, then in the config files. Who knows?

There is no need for increasing draw distance of grass in order for effectively camo units in distance. There is a need for some kind of workaround - for example a shader that will be applied on units in distance and distort their models enough so that human eye would not notice them. Maybe even some kind of gradual model transparency would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouben View Post
    There is no need for increasing draw distance of grass in order for effectively camo units in distance. There is a need for some kind of workaround - for example a shader that will be applied on units in distance and distort their models enough so that human eye would not notice them. Maybe even some kind of gradual model transparency would work.
    Could be that coupled with some kind of blurring, so that you can't recognize the model's edges. Because, even if the model is semi-transparent, you would likely still be able to see the edges, and thus clear distinction between a semi-transparent model and the terrain. Serious blurring (kind of like depth of field, but just around the model) would help to mask the unit in the distance. Now, that'd make camo a whole lot more useful. Cuz if you didn't have a uniform that has proper camouflage for the terrain, then you'd stick out.

| Mediterranean Operations Addon | LION OF THE CASPIAN Expansion Pack |

System Specs:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by antoineflemming View Post
    Could be that coupled with some kind of blurring, so that you can't recognize the model's edges. Because, even if the model is semi-transparent, you would likely still be able to see the edges, and thus clear distinction between a semi-transparent model and the terrain. Serious blurring (kind of like depth of field, but just around the model) would help to mask the unit in the distance. Now, that'd make camo a whole lot more useful. Cuz if you didn't have a uniform that has proper camouflage for the terrain, then you'd stick out.
    Not necessary, if one could work out an opacity map system, they could easily create a gradient for it. No need to blur the image, just to make sure it blends a bit better with the background, especially when there's no movement...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by metalcraze View Post
    BIS will increase the draw distance of bushes and other small objects akin to what McNools did at Hazar-Kot though. Oh and FYI in ArmA2 it's nigh to impossible to see anyone 500m away unless with optics.
    Not true, have your draw distance set to something more then 1000 and all you have to do is hold down the right mouse button. I've shot at things 500meters away,(IRL) salt block for horses to be exact with iron sights and could see it fine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50SJ5NQdbc in this second half of video you can see me engaging ai at 500m with iron sights and killing them.Here also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWEXdzscL1g

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bouben View Post
    Hell no I don't want pcs or AI to go invisible because they're a certain distance away, that's so fail specially in a arma game.
    Last edited by lsp; Feb 24 2012 at 16:59.
    The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men then himself.
    John S. Mill

It's a fact that your eyesight degrades with distance in a way that isn't reproduced on a screen. Some sort of distortion is far from a 'fail,' it's a bare minimum compensation for unrealistic advantages. Camouflage doesn't work in ARmA, at all.
    My Chernarussian Civil War SP missions:
    Enfilade Ambush
    Autumn Siege

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast