Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

tank_225.jpgjeep_225.jpgheli_225.jpg

chem_225.jpgplane_225.jpgdrive_225.jpg

Hello, Community!

Our alpha is intended to be a public build of Arma 3, offering a limited subset of content and features, with the fundamental goal of improving Arma 3's full retail launch.

Since our initial declaration of intent, development has continued apace and we've responded to some quite unexpected circumstances. Right now, our team is focused upon reviewing and executing the tasks identified as being key to the release of our public alpha. We consider it to be our next public milestone.

Here's what we know at the moment, with more details to be announced more formally as soon as we can. :)

• We want to improve the core stability of the game and test important new technologies on a range of hardware
  • We want to enable the community to work on their own mods before launch
  • We've delayed its initially planned release, due to a variety of unexpected circumstances
  • We want to update our community and partners with the release plan for the Public Alpha as soon as we can
  • The alpha will take place on Stratis, a smaller additional island for Arma 3
  • It'll offer a quite limited set of content to begin with, offering the potential for more to be released, as we see fit
  • The showcase at E3 2012 and
    included in the GC build gives you a good idea of the basic content that we'd hope to package with the initial alpha release

We're still actively working on the details of what will be on offer, when it will be available, and how it will be accessed. It's important for us to be clear and concise about what we're offering. Expect a formal announcement with simple, clear details as soonâ„¢ as possible :) We've not wanted to jump the gun (any more than we have already), and instead are focused upon releasing the most solid and accurate plans as soon as we feel we can.

At E3, we gave you a sneak preview of the way we were showcasing our playable content, and we'd like to offer something similar for the Community Alpha proper. Check out the video below to get a better idea!

0tOSjYgGvHw

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
Latest Plans - Jan 2012 Update

Yes!!! :D Finally the starving is over!! :)

Edited by Undeceived

Awesome sutff! cant wait to play the alpha, hopefully I will have a new PC by then.

But the campaign won't be available in the Alpha and beta, right? (which is good)

Screen 2 and 6..... omg :|

oh, and the alpha too :P

@RoyaltyinExile - As you well know, the "'Take On Helicopters' Community Preview" required people to have ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead. Assuming the requirements are similar with Arma 3, what game(s)/product(s) are needed to gain access to the ArmA 3 alpha & beta?

@RoyaltyinExile - As you well know, the "'Take On Helicopters' Community Preview" required people to have ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead. Assuming the requirements are similar with Arma 3, what game(s)/product(s) are needed to gain access to the ArmA 3 alpha & beta?

That's precisely the type of detail that we're still closely evaluating.

The Take On ComPrev was a little easier to package into the Arrowhead exe, as it was only the flight model and one of the new helicopters on offer.

The A3 Community Alpha - let's call it the CA! - is far more complex and wide ranging in the updates that it'll include. It's also not intended to run on any of the existing A2 terrains :cool:

Anyway, I must run - it's Gaia's birthday today, and I need to destroy that man good and proper for crimes against helicopters!

Best,

RiE

Hmm ... :suspect:

The odd thing is they even mention getting older assets into the game quickly. Guess we'll see, but I'm pretty excited about an alpha in June! :)

I´ll test the hell out of this Alpha!!

Isn´t Gaias Birthday tomorrow?

That's precisely the type of detail that we're still closely evaluating.

The Take On ComPrev was a little easier to package into the Arrowhead exe, as it was only the flight model and one of the new helicopters on offer.

The A3 Community Alpha - let's call it the CA! - is far more complex and wide ranging in the updates that it'll include. It's also not intended to run on any of the existing A2 terrains :cool:

Anyway, I must run - it's Gaia's birthday today, and I need to destroy that man good and proper for crimes against helicopters!

Best,

RiE

I don't see why you can't just package it as some sort of "pre-order bonus". I can predict all sort of bad things happening when you guys try and and mash old and new technology together.

DirectX 10/11 has been implemented. PhysX is working - particularly, rag-doll animation looks really impressive! The UI is undergoing a redesign, with the focus upon improved usability. Indeed, ease of use, and particularly accessibility, has been an entire goal in itself. We've heard your feedback, and we want to make the game easier to learn for those new to the game, without sacrificing anything that makes our game unique. We have reworked our animations using completely new motion capture recordings. The result is the most realistic animations ever achieved in the series, as well as additional gameplay features.

Oh man Im excited now :)

WOOW! Really nice news!!! I cant wait!!! is amazing as always you listen to the community. You Solved practically all I wanted, less sound. Anything new about the sound? is one of the weakest points of the game

Great, really looking forward to the GUI improvements and thoughts behind those!

Great update and please introduce all the new guys, even the ones we already know from the forums! :)

Thanks for the reply, RoyaltyinExile. And happy birthday to Gaia :D Time for a celebration of my own: EXCITED! Love the pictures! :yay: