Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

I don't think that would be fair because it would exclude many newer but nevertheless loyal and contributing community members. I think 2003 and earlier would be a better choice.

Well, i think in that case they should have proven their worth to the community by having a postcount of at least 4500 and having created zombie related addons/missions.

Well, i think in that case they should have proven their worth to the community by having a postcount of at least 4500 and having created zombie related addons/missions.

That's a bit specific, isn't it? :confused:

Not at all, i think these are valid requirements for ArmA3 alpha testers.

Looks like I need to get my postcount up...

Is charon still around? He had quite a few posts...

Okay guys, this is the way they should determine who gets the alpha

(Post count / (join date - 2000)^2) x (age + BIS games purchased)

If that sums up to over 1000 you can get the alpha free of charge. Otherwise you must pay how ever much you missed 1000 by to get the alpha. Surely that will get good alpha feed back no?

In all seriousness, I think BI should make it prepaid. I would be willing to give up any amount of money to get my hands on the alpha and I'm pretty sure many other people on the forum are the same way. I would pay more than the price of the actual game to get the alpha. This game is driving me insane.

Only Post count reflection in context of who gets to trial an Alpha is those posts made in the Beta Patch Feedback Threads

so far i see about 45 unique names in those threads so that would make a nice size group of peole who obviously know how to feedback :)

Maybe add Cit names too ?

( of course this is in Jest but if serious then thats how i would recruit alpha testers).

Only Post count reflection in context of who gets to trial an Alpha is those posts made in the Beta Patch Feedback Threads

so far i see about 45 unique names in those threads so that would make a nice size group of peole who obviously know how to feedback :)

( of course this is in Jest but if serious then thats how i would recruit alpha testers).

That does sound ok

so far i see about 45 unique names in those threads so that would make a nice size group of peole who obviously know how to feedback

[/Quote]

That would definitely be better than post count. but that being said, I am sure plenty of people who don't test the patches would still be very willing to report bugs and features to help shape arma 3. I say make it so you must pay for the alpha. that way BIS will get there money no matter what and we will get to test the Alpha no matter what our involvement with the game or forums in the past is. I am sure there are people who never heard of arma until arma 3 and are very willing to provide quality bug reports for A3. we should be welcoming in these new members.

Will there be a playable beta as well? Because you really don't want to restrict your feedback to your most hardcore fans, who are already on board with your approach anyways. But if there's going to be a beta, then feel free to be elitist with the alpha.

@maturin yes absolutely! :)

It was said there will be the "community alpha" following E³. The aim of it is to give Players the possibility to help shape it up and prepare modmakers for the new engine.

Some time after that there will be a "more extensive" BETA program. Details on that will follow later.

You can check the information here :)

Should alpha be completely public and free, I just hope that they don't start listening to the wrong kinds of people, you know the ones that may want it to be more like battlefield or call of duty with streaks and points popping up on screen to make multiplayer more "exciting". Mind you I don't have anything against that style..much..but if I wanted that I'd go play one of those, no reason that every game has to be the same right.

As far as join date goes, you also have to take into consideration the forum change, for example on the old forums my date shows 04 but here it shows 09.

Should alpha be completely public and free, I just hope that they don't start listening to the wrong kinds of people, you know the ones that may want it to be more like battlefield or call of duty with streaks and points popping up on screen to make multiplayer more "exciting".

Hah, you must think the developers are some sort of super-ass morons. They're not. I think.

Are they?

Nope. :yay:

Also, the alpha's probably going to be more limited than that, since the wider audience get demos anyway.

The Alpha is going to be exactly like Carrier Command's Play & Contribute, wait and see.

On the other hand, we want some CoD players to freak out loudly if boondoggles like the binocular and launcher issues are repeated.

The Alpha is going to be exactly like Carrier Command's Play & Contribute, wait and see.

Don´t be so sure, I expect the Beta to be like that. The Alpha might be something like the ToH Preview, a limited set of features to test.

Hah, you must think the developers are some sort of super-ass morons. They're not. I think.

Are they?

Nope. :yay:

Also, the alpha's probably going to be more limited than that, since the wider audience get demos anyway.

I don't, I trust BI but I won't lie and say that there isn't a part of concern, when they say broader audience and more accessible I am holding to the trust that it's simply control scheme and the way things work in motion rather than simplifying. But I'm not too worried about that since there has been no sign of such things.

Should alpha be completely public and free, I just hope that they don't start listening to the wrong kinds of people, you know the ones that may want it to be more like battlefield or call of duty with streaks and points popping up on screen to make multiplayer more "exciting". Mind you I don't have anything against that style..much..but if I wanted that I'd go play one of those, no reason that every game has to be the same right.

As far as join date goes, you also have to take into consideration the forum change, for example on the old forums my date shows 04 but here it shows 09.

Game should be more accessable.

Only thing holding the franchise back at the moment but it seems they want it to be more accessable and easier to pick up so hopefully it's done right.

Enough with the elitist attitude some of you have that only die hard ARMA players should get to be involved. Game needs to broaden out a bit and it only will, with feedback from players who are new to the series and or also like other games. Obviously you don't want COD idiots opinions but players who loved games like the earlier rainbow six series, early ghost recon series, americas army and even battlefield could all offer a good ammount of insight into the game.

Previous ARMAs have been too slow, clunky, horrible at CQC and too simulator like and with feedback from people who want it to retain it's realistic feel but become more accessable it can become a much greater game.

Game can take a lot from americas army as far as ballance between long and close ranged combat is concerned, even pace. Game was slow and required thought in open areas but in tighter enviroments the gun mechanics were accessable enough to pick up the pace and fight well CQC.

Anyways we will all see soon enough.

too slow, clunky, horrible at CQC and too simulator like

These are all vague, abstract judgments.

Typically, these posts express those same unhelpful ideas and then rarely offer any solutions besides stripping out good features to water down the game.

Game should be more accessable.

Only thing holding the franchise back at the moment but it seems they want it to be more accessable and easier to pick up so hopefully it's done right.

Enough with the elitist attitude some of you have that only die hard ARMA players should get to be involved. Game needs to broaden out a bit and it only will, with feedback from players who are new to the series and or also like other games. Obviously you don't want COD idiots opinions but players who loved games like the earlier rainbow six series, early ghost recon series, americas army and even battlefield could all offer a good ammount of insight into the game.

Previous ARMAs have been too slow, clunky, horrible at CQC and too simulator like and with feedback from people who want it to retain it's realistic feel but become more accessable it can become a much greater game.

Game can take a lot from americas army as far as ballance between long and close ranged combat is concerned, even pace. Game was slow and required thought in open areas but in tighter enviroments the gun mechanics were accessable enough to pick up the pace and fight well CQC.

Anyways we will all see soon enough.

Elitist? Hardly, it's more or less (in my view) that if they want to make animation and motion more fluid, hey thats great, but don't take away infantry damage such as having aim reduced due to being shot in the arms, because that is what makes the game what it is, those small details. Do we feel that only Arma fans should play arma? No, in fact we welcome other players, but if they want it to become something like COD or Battlefield 3, well those games already exist.

But anyways..this may be dragging things off topic.

Edited by NodUnit

I don't really think there is an elitist attitude. It's just we have such a great game because of its realistic features and the fact is, its the only one of its type. Not many here want it to be changed to be more mainstream because there is no fall back for us besides previous titles and like mentioned, there are already many mainstream games out there. Arma doesn't need to become one.

And many people who play this game don't want a "realistic feel". They want pure untainted realism. That being said I am sure there are something's even an arma and cod fan could agree upon - nobodys opinion is worthless and arma could probably learn something from cod... maybe

I am interested to see how bis handles this kind of thing. My hope is they try to open peoples eyes to the true depth and enjoyment of realism that way they can get new fans and keep the old ones happy.

Edited by -Coulum-

I'm not pointing fingers but some people don't want the game and to change and only want die hard fans to have input into what direction the new game should take and thats just silly. Everything should evolve and improve over time to do exactly that, improve, not change but improve.

Not at all saying I want the game less realistic, I agree with all the fanatics that want to game to be as realistic as possible but what I'm getting at is, in real life, I can sprint dam fast, for long periods of time, I'm incredibly agile and nimble on my feet and am able to move in a CQC enviroment and engage targets at close range very effectivly and quickly which unfortunatly previous ARMAs have been very bad at because of the slow and clunky gameplay, gun mechanics and controlls. Game doesn't have to be anything like battlefield or COD but one thing the game can learn from them is smooth and more seamless controlls, animations and movements, especially in CQC enviroments.

My hope is they try to open peoples eyes to the true depth and enjoyment of realism that way they can get new fans and keep the old ones happy.

I feel exactly the same and have come to the franchise for the same reason. Since Americas Army 2 left my life I have felt very empty and FPS games are boring. Not enough of a challenge and the feeling of killing an opponent is no longer rewarding.

Which is what I'm talking about. I want the game to stay realistic, challenging and have a deep learning curve it just needs to become more accessable and fluid because at the moment it's not. Feels too much like a game at the moment and not real and fluid enough because of the movement, animations and gun mechanics.

Feels too much like a game at the moment and not real and fluid enough because of the movement, animations and gun mechanics.

Erm... I hate to point it out, but it technically is a game. Realism can only go so far.

I think you should pay for the Alpha. But, you should also be able to redeem postcount or years ;) Or have a name that represents your actual, real name. And maybe some history in the troubleshooting/editing forums :D

Basically, I want in.