Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Take On Helicopters Beta Patch 89707

That's a lot of code for
    Code:
    hint "Take on world!"

Good code design is very important - in the long term and for more complex code, it will save you a lot of time in the end.

Hopefully someone can come up with some Netbeans instructions for this. Since it took me 30 minutes and multiple tries to get just a simple Hello World to work... Maybe some explanation for how this all is supposed to work? Do we need to write java wrappers for every command? An object for showHint which calls RVEngine.hint? Will we need to do that for every single command? To type out a hint this example has you writing three different versions of hint in three different places. Surely that can't be how all of this will work?

I know I'm missing a lot here, can anyone explain this stuff please?

4.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #14
    Author of the Thread
    Hopefully someone can come up with some Netbeans instructions for this.
    We have WIP documentation for Netbeans, which I'll try to post soon.

Do we need to write java wrappers for every command? An object for showHint which calls RVEngine.hint?
    No, that is a sample to get the IDE up and running. Just to show a hint this is obviously way too much overhead. One example of how you could better utilize Java, is by treating the jCall as just the start of a larger Java hierarchy of Object-Oriented classes. The rest of the system would be executed within the Java classes (and occassionally using RVEngine methods to effect change in the mission). As we move forward the things the JVM can do will expand, and the issues will be fixed. As for the commands (methods) now available, it's currently our library (JNIScripting) + JDK (huge amount of standard methods - maths, XML, etc.) + whatever you create yourself.

An abstract example based on OA's ARMEX: a GameMaster class would manage everything related to dynamic challenges. It would then instantiate objects of a Challenge class for each time a challenge is started and handle everything specific to that challenge. All data and function is stored with the class / object responsible for it; making it cleaner, clearer and easier to debug. Just like game configuration files are a class hierarchy, this makes scripting work in a hierarchy as well. You can use all of the benefits of that in a well-designed system: inheritance, abstraction, etc.
    Bohemia Interactive
    Arma 3 - Project Lead
    Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
    Take On Noisecontrollers!

Hello World examples are always like this and are just to show the concepts. Done properly, as DnA said, the call to Java would initiate a self contained functional section of a mission. It would do all the loops/validation/calculations making call backs to Arma when needed using the methods in the JNIScripting library.

What it gives the developer is the ability to test stuff in a self contained environment with proper debugging tools and management. Also, new methods can be cretaed in a much more flexible way using Java.

The potential is huge!
    Jedra's Addons
    Arma 2 : Enhanced Skills Slider
    Take On Helicopters : Take On Taxi | Jedra's Time Trials | Weapon Indicators | No Radar

I need some help. I downloaded eclipse and i think i have gotten to the

Set Default output folder to just JavaSample (remove \bin)
    Go to the Libraries tab

part, Problem here, it wont let me just remove \bin, it grays out "ok" and there is no libraries tab. (found a add library entry in the build-path submeny but it has no add external jar option)

Edit: sorry maybe this is for the java thread.
    Spoiler:

Got Eclipse and the minimal Java sample up and running without a hitch; so far, so good ;-)
    System: CPU: i7-980X, RAM: 12GB Kingston HyperX, GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition, MOBO: GA-X58A-UD7 X58, POWER: be quiet P8 1200W ATX 2.3, HDD: 2x Intel X25-M G2 160GB, 2.5", OS: W7Pro 64bit, Drivers: Catalyst: 13.12, 2D: 8.01.01.1360, D3D: 9.14.10.01001, OGL: 6.14.10.12618, CCC: 2013.1206.1603.28764

Hi
    I have big problems with alt tab with latest Beta running in full screen mode not windowed anyone else experience it ?

Problem
    Cant alt tab from game ,Seems harder when in map screen for some reason

windows XP home 32 bit
    GTX 470 Nvidia No addons only latest Beta

PLEASE READ FIRST POST JAVA HAS DEDICATED THREAD

Sadly as far as i can tell the current state of affairs is not permissive of jython, however i only just spent 3 hours trying to learn how its held together. Since I'm not a fan of the java philosophy of if its to verbose it ain't verbose enough this makes me sad. Well i guess I'll have to learn java then. And i dont understand what im missing in the Initial Java documentation since for some it just seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Sadly as far as i can tell the current state of affairs is not permissive of jython, however i only just spent 3 hours trying to learn how its held together. Since I'm not a fan of the java philosophy of if its to verbose it ain't verbose enough this makes me sad. Well i guess I'll have to learn java then. And i dont understand what im missing in the Initial Java documentation since for some it just seems to work.
    Java stuff over here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast