Infection (light zombie addon)

Infection

0.2 Alpha

By: Einherj

Requirements:

- ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead expansion or ArmA 2: Combined Operations

- Patch 1.60 recommended

Install instructions:

1. unpack the contents of the file EHJ_Infection_0_2_alpha to your ArmA 2 OA directory (overwrite old versions if prompted)

2. run ArmA 2 OA / CO with -mod=@EHJ_INF parameter or use a launcher

Features:

- Slow-moving zombie-type infected variations of all game units on the OPFOR side

- infected units roam aimlessly until they spot an uninfected unit

- the infected follow and attack all uninfected units

- the infected have two attacks: a slower more powerful charge and a faster standing maul

- MP compatible

Limitations:

- OPFOR units controlled by AI do not shoot the infected since they are on the same side

- No female infected

Usage:

1. Place the "EHJ Infection: Core" module in the editor

2. Place any number of infected units in the editor or create them dynamically

3. ???

4. Profit.

Classnames:

- All infected units have their uninfected counterpart's classname preceded with "EHJ_INF_"

Examples:

"USMC_SoldierS_Engineer" --> "EHJ_INF_USMC_SoldierS_Engineer"

"Ins_Commander" --> "EHJ_INF_Ins_Commander"

- All infected units have their uninfected counterpart's faction classname preceded with "EHJ_INF_"

Examples:

"USMC" --> "EHJ_INF_USMC"

"INS" --> "EHJ_INF_INS"

Variables:

[table=width: 1200, align: left]

[tr]

[td]- EHJ_INF_CORE_LOGIC references to the "EHJ Infection: Core" module placed in the editor and it has the following variables in its namespace:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Non-modifiable (can be acquired with getVariable)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Variable name[/td]

[td]Description[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_INITIALIZED[/td]

[td]TRUE when the Infection has been initialized[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_UNITS_ALIVE[/td]

[td]Contains an array of all the alive infected units[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_UNITS_DEAD[/td]

[td]Contains an array of all the dead infected units[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Every infected unit has the following variables in its namespace:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]non-modifiable (can be acquired with getVariable)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Variable name[/td]

[td]Description[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_INITIALIZED[/td]

[td]TRUE when the infected unit has been initialized[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_TARGET_OBJECT[/td]

[td]The currently targeted uninfected unit (objNull if none)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_TARGET_POSITION[/td]

[td]Position the infected unit is currently moving to ([0,0,0] if none)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]modifiable (can be acquired with getVariable and modified with setVariable)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Variable name[/td]

[td]Description[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_TARGET_SEARCH_DISTANCE[/td]

[td]The maximum distance from which the infected unit can detect targets (default: 300)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_HOME_OBJECT[/td]

[td]An object which the unit will not wander away from (default: the unit itself)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_HOME_POSITION[/td]

[td]A position which the unit will not wander away from (relative to home object unless it is objNull. Default: [0,0,0])[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_HOME_DISTANCE[/td]

[td]How many meters from the home object / position the infected unit can wander away from (minimum of 5m. Default: 30)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]EHJ_INF_SPEED_MODE[/td]

[td]Determines how fast the infected unit moves around ("SLOW" / "FAST". Default: "SLOW")[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Functions:

STRING call EHJ_INF_SET_DIFFICULTY (STRING = "EASY" / "MEDIUM" / "HARD"). Sets the difficulty of the infected (only affects the damage they deal so far)

Changelog:

[table=width: 700, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Type[/td]

[td]Description[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Fixed[/td]

[td]The infected slow down indoors[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Improved[/td]

[td]Optimized the infected AI[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]The infected crawl if their legs are badly damaged[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_INITIALIZED[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_TARGET_SEARCH_DISTANCE[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_TARGET_OBJECT[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_TARGET_POSITION[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable:EHJ_INF_HOME_OBJECT[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_HOME_POSITION[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_HOME_DISTANCE[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Added[/td]

[td]Infected unit variable: EHJ_INF_SPEED_MODE[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Known Issues:

[table=width: 700, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Issue[/td]

[td]Status[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Hit animation freezes sometimes[/td]

[td]Finding a solution[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- The infected behave weird sometimes when grouped together[/td]

[td]Solution found. Fixing[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Factions are not in order in the editor[/td]

[td]Finding a solution[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Future features:

[table=width: 1200, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Feature[/td]

[td]Planned for[/td]

[td]Status[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Infected groups

* Groups of mixed infected units to make mission makers' job easier

[/td]

[td]0.3 alpha[/td]

[td]Under development[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Infected vehicle AI

* Infected interaction towards vehicles occupied by uninfected units

[/td]

[td]0.3 alpha[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- 'Breakout' coop mission

* 10 player dynamic survival coop mission

[/td]

[td]the future[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]- Infected sounds

* Custom growling and roaring sounds for the infected

[/td]

[td]the future[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

- teaCup for the animations

Download:

Infection 0.2 Alpha (current version):

Armaholic

Mediafire

Infection 0.1 Alpha:

Mediafire

Edited by Einherj
Updated download links

Just did a play through with them all works as said above, zombies seem maybe just a tad slow? maybe. But aside from that does exactly what it says on the tin!

Thanks for the work.

Haven't tested this yet... But Sounds very Nice & I May just give it a try tomorrow or later tonight. :bounce3: :D

But if Zombies are too slow.

Perhaps you can have them move at, Crouch Speed?? this way they're not too slow nor too fast.

EDIT: Btw, Do these Walk through Walls aswell? I Know it's an Arma bug... But by any luck, Could it be Possible that they Don't walk through Objects/Walls/Buildings?

Edited by ShinShin

What's the difference between this and the Undead Mod released by Charon?

Do you believe with enough work this will be better?

Charon's mod is great and all but it's 343 mbs, this addon so far is 1 mb. The whole purpose of this addon seems to be just cutting down on how much stuff you have to download in order for it to work.

I always found Charons Undead Mod to be overly complicated. When I just wanted to create some dumb shambling corpses to some small village they always wanted to wander around and create new infected towns with new zombie spawns. It was such a pain to be forced to turn off all those extra functions which could possibly ruin your mission. Then again those extra functions are pretty damn good but they should have been off by default.

I haven't tried this new addon yet but it sounds promising if it indeed is so simple as the description says. I'll have to give this a go when I'm off work.

If it were laid out as simple as I imagine this will make doing zombie missions more attractive imo. I'm really looking forward to this mod, hope you keep on with this.

Thank you all for your comments!

Just did a play through with them all works as said above, zombies seem maybe just a tad slow? maybe. But aside from that does exactly what it says on the tin!

Thanks for the work.

They currently roam really slow until they spot you and then pick up the pace when they are coming for someone. I have a reason for their tardiness though: I'm kind of going for the moody seems-harmless type zombies until you're careless and they gang up on you and rip your face off. :) Don't worry though, I have plans on fiddling with the animations and speeds (like fixing the low speed inside buildings). I also have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to make them deadlier even when slow. :wink:

Btw, Do these Walk through Walls aswell? I Know it's an Arma bug... But by any luck, Could it be Possible that they Don't walk through Objects/Walls/Buildings?

They shouldn't walk through anything. Let me know if something like that happens. Inside buildings is a different matter since they follow the predetermined path LODs like any other AI which makes them ignore obstacles. I'd gladly make the pathfinding better if it was possible but the engine is what it is. :icon_sad:

What's the difference between this and the Undead Mod released by Charon? Do you believe with enough work this will be better?

I've tried the Undead Mod and I had a lot of fun with it. Charon had his vision and made it happen, I admire that.

I am in no way competing with his mod nor trying to make anything "better", simply different. Infection aims to provide mission makers a quick and an easy way to add zombies to their missions. :)

If it were laid out as simple as I imagine this will make doing zombie missions more attractive imo. I'm really looking forward to this mod, hope you keep on with this.

Indeed, the purpose of this addon is to provide easy and simple zombies for mission makers to use as they will. I wanna see more zombie missions! :laugh:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Does it work in MP dedicated?

Maybe this is What you're Asking, No?

Features:

- Slow-moving zombie-type infected variations of all game units on the OPFOR side

- infected units roam aimlessly until they spot an uninfected unit

- the infected follow and attack all uninfected units

- the infected have two attacks: a slower more powerful charge and a faster standing maul

- MP compatible

SN: I Would Think it'd Work on Dedi, if it's Multiplayer Compatible... Yes? :confused:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Does it work in MP dedicated?

Yes, it does.

Hey! Nice work. Looks pretty cool, I'm going to give it a try tonight!

-Craig

Thank you all for your comments!

They currently roam really slow until they spot you and then pick up the pace when they are coming for someone. I have a reason for their tardiness though: I'm kind of going for the moody seems-harmless type zombies until you're careless and they gang up on you and rip your face off. :) Don't worry though, I have plans on fiddling with the animations and speeds (like fixing the low speed inside buildings). I also have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to make them deadlier even when slow. :wink:

Just another thing created a long'ish mission the other night, all went fine with the addon all you said above had the desired effect and was good fun, quick question though, for say a 'set-peice' finale type thing I say would like lots of zombies to surround the suvivors at the end by creating a trigger when blufor get within its radius the zombies go to that location, will this trigger effect anything with your mod giving them waypoints and syncing to targets? also as they roam slowly by the time i get to the end they may be some distance away so even if the triggers works it will take time for them to gather so that said if i set to move fast then when they get close to the area move their speed back down to normal or slow can you see those two scenarios causing any trouble or inconstancy's with your mod?

Thanks, regards Jeza

That's a pretty neat idea, having an encirclement mission is always fun with zombies.

Checked it out - Good start, keep up the good work.

I put a bunch of zombies down about 100 (started to slow down my computer but not much)walked through town and back. I got hit twice, maybe? Hopefully your trick to make them more deadly is pretty good :)

Just a suggestion you may want to put a !isServer -> End in the beginning of your FSM, so it doesn't have to run on everyone's box.

Seems like every iteration of zombies for Arma just get better and better.

I've been trying to adapt Celery's zombies to my own mission and could never quite figure out all the dependencies I would have to fiddle with and port over from his missions, and I was always turned off from having a mission require Charon's mod due to its large size. This is just the thing I'm looking for.

for say a 'set-peice' finale type thing I say would like lots of zombies to surround the suvivors at the end by creating a trigger when blufor get within its radius the zombies go to that location, will this trigger effect anything with your mod giving them waypoints and syncing to targets?

You can give them waypoints but they will most likely ignore them since their FSM AI gives them doMove commands. The infected currently go for the target that has the highest knowsAbout value and they only react to units closer than 300 meters (I can make the searching distance a variable for the next version if you guys want). What you can do is reveal the players to the infected units and they will choose them as targets.

also as they roam slowly by the time i get to the end they may be some distance away so even if the triggers works it will take time for them to gather so that said if i set to move fast then when they get close to the area move their speed back down to normal or slow can you see those two scenarios causing any trouble or inconstancy's with your mod?

The infected AI can not currently move faster than their "run" animation which is the one they use to close in on you. You can try setPos:ing them which is probably a bit of a crude way to go aesthetically. Don't worry though, I'm currently working on some new speed modes for the infected.

I put a bunch of zombies down about 100 (started to slow down my computer but not much)walked through town and back. I got hit twice, maybe? Hopefully your trick to make them more deadly is pretty good

Yeah, they are a bit worthless still :) I am actually experimenting with the different AI posture states to make the infected have different speed modes so you can choose from walking and running infected.

Just a suggestion you may want to put a !isServer -> End in the beginning of your FSM, so it doesn't have to run on everyone's box.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but according to my tests the config initiated FSMs (fsmFormation & fsmDanger) are only run on the machine where the unit is local.

Edited by Einherj

Thanks for the heads up mate

One thing i forgot to mention in the mission i set up a meet point with some independent soldiers (obviously allied with blufor) to save their town ect, 3 or 4 of them took us to the town & the zombies started coming at us, but aside from the human players on US side i did not see the independent troops fire at the zombies aside from maybe once or twice, these were civilian targets btw but obviously in opfor dropdown where you put them, just thought I would let you know.

Cheers Jeza

in the mission i set up a meet point with some independent soldiers (obviously allied with blufor) to save their town ect, 3 or 4 of them took us to the town & the zombies started coming at us, but aside from the human players on US side i did not see the independent troops fire at the zombies aside from maybe once or twice, these were civilian targets btw but obviously in opfor dropdown where you put them, just thought I would let you know.

Thank you for the report, I'll look into it.

Einherj - about the FSMs I won't correct you if you've tested it. :)

Funny this is coming out, after seeing Celery's stuff I started working on a zombie mission, I have some tricks you may want to put in later. But now more reading code until I figure out why the spawner isn't working for me.

Greetings!

I`m big fan of charons UNDEAD mod and I`m glad that there is another zombie mod under way. I`ll check it!

Tnx! :D

This sounds very exciting. I was also a big fan of Charons Undead Mod, and spent countless hours creating infection experiments and missions.

The best thing about zombies in Arma is that you can more accurately simulate a real infection spreading than any proper zombie game that exists! Also, if you look on Youtube, the Arma zombie videos attract more non-Arma people than most other Arma content...

It would be fantastic if you continued to build on the zombie-logic and perhaps tried some new features. For example, we really need a standing still zombies-surrounding-my-car window banging animation. That would be terrifying.