Sign in to follow this  
Mayrhofen

Bad FPS, with no apparent bottleneck.

I'm playing Project Reality, a mod for Combined Operations. My problem is that the game isn't using all the possible resources available, to provide smooth, steady FPS. First I thought it had something to do with a lot of players on the same server, but I later discovered that I'm having a bad FPS even on my own local empty server. Obviously the 90 players on real servers add to the general lagginess, but that's something I can deal with. There's a huge difference whether I choose Singleplayer or Multiplayer and I play alone. With SP, the GPU usage is around 100% and CPU is pretty high up there too. My problems have nothing to do with AI, the mod doesn't use any.

In mulyiplayer my GPU usage is about 30-40%, memory 50-60% and CPU 50-65%. I thought my harddrive might be to blame, but after a disfragment and putting ARMA files on the outter track of the drive for faster loading times, I noticed no significant change. It is as if my computer doesn't understand that I need more juice. Changing graphic settings doesn't dramatically change my FPS. I had to put AA and such on max to gain a little more GPU usage, but in the end the FPS stayed pretty much the same. So I started testing and opened real time graphs on my other screen while playing.

Here's what I've done so far:

Config File:

• GPU_MaxFramesAhead - Didn't notice a change, despite different tried values like 0, 1, 80, 1000.
  • GPU_DetectedFramesAhead - Ended up setting it on 3, maybe gave me 5 FPS here and there.
  • sceneComplexity - Tried 110k, 150k, 300k. No change.
  • fovTop & fovLeft - Multiplied original values by 1.3. No change.
  • shadingQuality - Had it on 10. Changed it to 0, if anything, I lost a few FPS.
  • AToC - Tried 0 and 7. No change.

Videocard Settings:

• Tripple Buffering - No change.
  • Tesselaton - No change.
  • Texture Quality - Set it on Performance. No change.
  • MimMap Detail Level - No change.

Shortcut Attributes:

• cpucount - No change.
  • exthreads - No change.
  • maxmem - No change.
  • world - No change in FPS or loading times.

In-game Settings:

• Video Memory - Had it on default, left it on High. 5 FPS raise.
  • Left Column Settings - Change between everything on minumum and normal was a couple FPS, literally. But the quality difference was huge.
  • Vertical Sync - Lost around 5-10 FPS, but overall game was smoother.

Other:

• Game process priority - Set it on High in task manager. No change.
  • Gamebooster - No change, even though it closes a lot of unnecessary stuff. If anything, I lost a few FPS.
  • Closed open background windows - Minimized steam, etc to tray. No change.
  • Disabled my second screen - No change.
  • Ran benchmark twice with same settings - Second time loading duration was brief, but average FPS was still the same.
  • Clocked GPU - Raised core clock about 100mhz. No change.
  • Defragment - Used a software to physically put ARMA files on the outter part of harddrive for faster loading. No change.
  • Power Saving Options - Set PC on gaming plan. No change.

Gets pretty sour after a while, considering I'm playing on Normal settings now to win a few FPS:

6baAcc.png

If anyone has any ideas what else I could try, please shout them out.

My rig:

AMD Phenom X4 965 (at 3.4ghz)

MSI 870A-G54 (latest drivers)

4GB DDR3 1333mhz

HD 6850 1GB DDR5 (latest drivers)

Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 (no updates)

I would recommend to update latest drivers for everything you got on your pc: motherboard/bios/chipset/gpu/soundcard or chip etc.

Also recommend you to scan for errors defrag your entire HDD. Then use some registry cleaner (crap cleaner for example, or Glary Utilities free) and free registry defragger. Last step do windows update. If that doesnt help, try to reinstall the windows and repeat all the steps i told before.

I had overclocked my cpu to 3,8mhz, changed ram timing from cl 9-9-9-24 to 8-7-8-21 @1.5v, also clocked northbridge freq. to 2.6ghz (this gave me deffinitly additional FPS)

I was unable to play arma 2 on very high settings smoothly. After i've reinstalled windows, first i did was windows update and HDD defrag (i used open source ultradefrag, it has defragment and optimize function, which i did on all partitions), then installed all latest drivers for everything - and i was shocked, i was able to play arma with very high settings finally...

To be sure you got all necessary drivers installed, plug in your motherboard drivers dvd, and compare to drives you downloaded. I never installed marvell chipset driver yet (i dont know whats on ur mobo), my windows 7 benchmark score was 5.9 because of HDD, now i have score risen to 7.4, and thats because of my CPU even clocked to 3,8ghz! My HDD has 7.6 score now lol!

I hope this can help you, so it did to me.

Edited by NeuroFunker

So many sticky topics in this section to choose from, all about performance. Use them, thats why they are there.

Additionally I advice you to make tests with the default game (no custom content active) cause it could be caused by this mod you are using and for troubles with that you need to be on the Project Reality forums.

Since you are new, some links:

- ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

- Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

- ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

Edited by Guest