=================

Tested with Arma2: Combined Operations.

Required addons:

=================

Ghillie Suites by Brainbug (v.2.0)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11424

Description:

=================

This is a set of scripts that will allow you (or your AI partners) to change their sniper pattern during a mission. Simply activate the script via the action menu, and the sniper's camo changes once every two seconds until you find one that you like. You can also have your AI teammates change their camo as well.

Features:

=================

Player can quickly change from one camo pattern to the next using SHIFT + UP or DOWN

Multiplayer enabled!

35 total camo patterns are available. 30 created by Brainbug and 5 stock camos from Arma2 and OA.

Player and AI have different action names (to avoid confusion).

Player can order AI to change camo pattern. When correct pattern is reached, player can order AI to set new camo pattern.

Changelog/known bugs:

=================

VERSION 1.6: (5/26/12)

= Overhauled most scripts and added new ones

= Multiplayer compatible

= Added keys to change player camo patterns for better control (Shift + UP or DOWN)

= Added "alive" check so AI pattern cycling stops if AI is killed

VERSION 1.5: (2/19/12)

= Script now keeps track of current texture so you don't have to restart the first texture every time

= Added "alive" check so script ends more quickly after death

= Bikey included

VERSION 1.0: (2/17/12)

= INITIAL RELEASE

KNOWN BUG:

= If you don't order the AI to stop ahead of time, when you order him or her to change camo patterns, they might change their position.

WORKAROUND:

= Order AI to halt.

= Order AI to change camo patterns (F key, 6, Change Camo Pattern)

Installation:

=================

1) Copy @SNIPER_CAMO_CHANGER folder to your Arma2 directory.

2) Start Arma2

3) Go to Expansions

4) Enable "@Sniper Camo Changer [by Feint]"

5) Restart Arma2

Usage:

=================

1) Open editor.

2) Create a sniper unit.

3) In the "init" of that unit, copy the following line:

null = this execVM "\sniper_camo_changer\changerInit.sqf";

4) Add the above line to every unit that you want to enable camo changing for.

5) Preview mission.

6) To order an AI subordinate to change camo patterns: UNIT > 6 > Change Sniper Camo Pattern (AI).

The pattern changes every 2 seconds.

7) To order an AI subordinate to STOP changing camo patterns: SELECT UNIT > 6 > "Set Sniper Camo Pattern (AI)".

8) To change your own camo pattern, use the addAction menu to select, "Enable Camo Switching".

9) Hold down "Shift" and use the "UP" or "DOWN" arrow keys to change camo patterns

10) When finished, use the addAction menu to select, "Disable Camo Switching".

Credits:

=================

Credit for textures goes to Brainbug and BIS.

Thanks to franklin and his squadmates for doing the online testing!

Thanks to the Arma2 community for being the best group of people ever.

Disclaimer/License:

=================

By use of this addon, you agree to the following:

Any unauthorized modification and re-release of the released files is not allowed without written permission by the author(s).

You are using these files at your own risk.

Author(s) of those files are not liable for any damage or loss of data caused by use of these files.

Usage of these files is prohibited for any commercial purposes.

SCREENSHOTS:

=================

sniper_camo_rotate-01_LR.jpg sniper_camo_rotate-02_LR.jpg

sniper_camo_rotate-03_LR.jpg sniper_camo_rotate-04_LR.jpg

sniper_camo_rotate-05_LR.jpg sniper_camo_rotate-06_LR.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE

http://www.jonhillenbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/SNIPER_CAMO_CHANGER_VERSION_1.6.rar

sniperCamoChanger.png

VERSION 1.6 INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO:

wnSaa9m5WBc

Edited by Feint

Nice, makes using Brainbugs excellent ghillies easier.

Thanks for making and sharing!

/KC

Thanks and thanks. I just didn't like going on a sniper mission and not being able to use grasses and bushes from the environment to enhance my ghillie suit like the real snipers do during the missions. So this was my solution.

FUTURE IDEAS:

I tried to use different nearestObjects commands to get the grasses and bushes nearest to the player, and then using editor enhancements which add classnames to those objects, I tried attaching the same bushes to the ghillie suit, but the results weren't good.

Is there some sort of reference somewhere of the names of memory points on basic BIS soldier models? :confused: For example, I know theres, "head", "head_axis" and left and right hands which I can't remember at the moment. I think if I had a reference like that, I could play around more with trying to attach small plants to different parts of the model. Then I could have actions like:

SNIPER MENU

-change right hand plant >> plant 1, plant 2, plant 3, none

-change back plant >> plant 1, plant 2, plant 3, none

or more simply...

-change sniper foliage >> woodland summer, woodland fall, desert, snow, none

etc. At least that was my initial idea.

So far, the main problem is that when I attach objects to models body parts using attachTo, they tend to always point down no matter what the unit object is doing. So if I attach a plant to a unit's main body, it points down. Then if the unit goes prone, it's still pointing straight down. I wish I could make it so it acts more like a backpack where its orientation matches the orientation of the unit. But maybe that only works because of the presence of the backpack proxy or whatever. If I could attachTo the backpack proxy on the OA models, maybe I could get the foliage to move with the unit's orientation.

Also, does anyone know if there are hidden selections for the vanilla binocular models? When using the OA sniper, for example, the binoculars are desert colored. When using Arma2 snipers, the binoculars are black. It would be nice to change the camo on those items as well but I would need to know if there is a hiddenselection for those items. Is there a reference somewhere? :confused:

Another idea I had was to create via the action menu, "Create Hide".

Then a hide could be created using bushes, camo netting, etc. which you could choose from on a rotating basis, select the one you want, then it gets attached to you, you place the hide where you want it, then drop it onto the ground. This would be good for recon missions and by using stock vanilla bushes, I believe there would be some viewblocking of the AI's vision. Then when you were ready to leave, you "Break Down Hide" and the hide gets deleted from the game world. This is probably a good solution to the above problem. But I'd still like to solve the above problem. ;)

EDIT: I just tried hcpookie's deployable camo nets. Really cool addon and idea! I wonder if there's a way to combine this with nearby bushes to make the hide more natural looking for player vs. player situations.

Edited by Feint

Would there be a way to check the type of bushes/clutter around you and then, based on the colour of these, change the ghillie ? So a certain bush means that you are in Takistan, therefore you change into the most likely ghillie.

Great idea.

@Kremator, That's a pretty good idea. I think the amount of writing and comparing would be a lot. There are a lot of plants and the nearObjects types of commands seems to call up lots of honeybees and only the occasional plant, even when I'm lying right on top of one. So I have to sort out that problem first. I think setting the pattern based on which plants are closest would be a good starting point though. I had the idea of making more textures where you start with woodland fall, then make it darker or lighter. Or start with snow and then make it darker or lighter. Or more green. Or more brown. Then it would feel more like you were actually creating a ghillie suit rather than just cycling through textures.

Edited by Max Power
clean up :)

Good idea! In real life a sniper would always adapt to the environment by changing his ghillie a bit (e.g. attach a few fresh leaves), so it's great if you can change it during the mission.

And I'm glad to see someone actually makes use of my stuff ;)

I just updated the script to version 1.5! It's now a little more efficient and easier to use.

CHANGELOG:

v. 1.5 = Script now keeps track of current texture so you don't have to restart from the first texture every time

= Added "alive" check so script ends more quickly after death

= Bikey included

v. 1.0 = INITIAL RELEASE

First post updated with new download link! :bounce3:

Enjoy!

Edited by Feint

Good work Feint! Even though I don't play as a sniper it will come in handy for a pootle about ingame :)

Is this intended to work in MP? I added this to my units modpack, and when our sniper changed his ghille, nobody else saw the change. The mod was installed on all clients, and the server. Double checked everything, but was never able to see another client changing his ghille. The sniper himself saw the change.

Apparently, setObjectTexture, which this script uses, only has a local effect. The only way to have the changes visible is to execute the command on each client which I am not sure I know how to do. I'll look into it and see if I can fix it and update with a new release. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Looks like the solution is here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?113442-setobjecttexture-and-multiplayer&highlight=execute+command+clients

I'll see if I can figure this out and write an effective solution.

Edited by Feint

sniper_camo_rotate-08_LR.jpg

Version 1.6 is now available!

First post updated.

Download here

wnSaa9m5WBc

Edited by Feint

Thanks Foxhound. Thanks Kremator. :)

I seen this on Armaholic, looks really awesome! I might have to give it a try.

looks awesome!.. Thanks for this!

Really nice little mod.

It negates realism a little, but the ability to change suits is reward enough.

Thanks for the hard work.