Sign in to follow this  
Flogger23m

AI accuracy question

It has been a while since I played ArmA 2, though I updated to the latest version of ACE 2 and installed a new official patch. Everything works fine, though the enemy AI's accuracy has gone from terrible to insanely good.

Previous the AI was abnormally inaccurate, now the enemy AI can take me out before I can even see them (and friendly AI). I recall there was a way to set the AI's accuracy. How can I do this? I would like to tone down the enemy AI accuracy, but not make them too easy.

I am playing on a 19 inch widescreen at 1680x1050, so if someone has ideal detection ranges/accuracy variables/settings for AI at this screen size let me know.

If this is a ACE question, it should be posted in the ACE topic.

I am not sure if it is an ACE question or not to be honest.

If you have ACE installed, then it is an ACE question. If you want to discuss anything related to the vanilla game, you have to use the vanilla game, meaning NO mods of any kind. Even if you think the mod should not affect a particular feature, you never can be sure.

And I'm pretty sure that ACE tweaks the AI accuracy, so you should play some without ACE to see what happens.

There have been changes since 1.6 which affect enemy accuracy - with or without ACE. Check out this thread.

If you are looking for a solution, there are various AI tweaks available.

ASR_AI - allows you to tweak enemy accuracy on a class basis (amongst lots of other things).

Enhanced Skills Slider - (my own mod) allows you to tweak various AI skill settings on the fly.

You may alos want to check out ZeusAI which after a bit of a rest is now seeing some much needed attention again.

All are SP/MP compatible.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Jedra but I'd go further by saying, ranking them in order of priority:

a) ASR AI mod - tried and test

b) Enhanced Skills Slider - promising but barely published so prolly could benefit from a few optimisations and/or bug fixes

c) Zeus AI - hasn't been updated in over 6 months (which is an age given there dozens of AI-related improvement brought by official patches releases since then)

Looks like it was the 1.60 patch.

Without installing further mods, what would be the best way to reduce the enemy AI's accuracy/precision?

Failing that, would SR AI work on top of ACE?

Looks like it was the 1.60 patch.

Without installing further mods, what would be the best way to reduce the enemy AI's accuracy/precision?

Failing that, would SR AI work on top of ACE?

ASR_AI works with ACE - you'll have no problems. Take care to read the first post in Robalo's thread though - it explains how to tweak the skills and also some of the other stuff that this mod does.

ASR_AI works with ACE - you'll have no problems. Take care to read the first post in Robalo's thread though - it explains how to tweak the skills and also some of the other stuff that this mod does.

I downloaded ASR, though I am still a bit confused on how to set the AI accuracy. Is the part in bold how I set AI accuracy? :

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_sets = 7;

["aimingAccuracy",[1.00,0.00],"aimingShake",[1.00,0.00],"aimingSpeed",[1.00,0.00],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[1.00,0.00],"courage",[1.00,0.00]],// 0 (perfect)

["aimingAccuracy",[0.55,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.80,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.80,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.20],"spotTime",[0.70,0.10],"courage",[0.80,0.20]],// 1

["aimingAccuracy",[0.50,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.70,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.20],"spotTime",[0.65,0.10],"courage",[0.70,0.20]],// 2

["aimingAccuracy",[0.45,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.60,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.60,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.60,0.20],"spotTime",[0.55,0.10],"courage",[0.60,0.20]],// 3

["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.50,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.50,0.20],"spotTime",[0.50,0.10],"courage",[0.50,0.20]],// 4

["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.40,0.20],"spotTime",[0.45,0.10],"courage",[0.40,0.20]],// 5

["aimingAccuracy",[0.30,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.30,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.30,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.30,0.20],"spotTime",[0.40,0.10],"courage",[0.30,0.20]],// 6

["aimingAccuracy",[0.25,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.20,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.20,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.20,0.20],"spotTime",[0.35,0.10],"courage",[0.20,0.20]],// 7

["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.20],"spotTime",[0.70,0.10],"courage",[0.40,0.20]],// 8 (pilot 1, better)

["aimingAccuracy",[0.30,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.30,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.30,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.20],"spotTime",[0.65,0.10],"courage",[0.30,0.20]] // 9 (pilot 2)

];

*/

The difference between 1 and 7 is non-existent in a flat terrian map.

I'm just looking for a way to reduce their accuracy, as while they are invisible to me they can clearly see and shot me with amazing accuracy. Sprinting or not. I'm talking about me and 8-9 friendly AI units killed in 40 seconds without any of us getting a visual (or detection for AI) or being able to return fire. It is bad on empty terrian maps, but when playing in maps with a lot of brush it becomes impossible to fight enemy infantry. I do not care for other changes at the moment as I want to limit the number of mods I use.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=2370

Doing what is mentioned in the OP seems like it can help, but I can not locate the "profile config" file. If I can not find it I will sadly have to shelve the game and remove it from my HDD... no use it playing a game with AI that cheats. If this was BIS's response to making the AI "better" then I only fear what they have done to the AI in ArmA 3. Yet the AI still can't drive along waypoints following a road. :rolleyes:

Edited by Flogger23m

The asr_ai_sys_skillsets is an array - you should return it to how it was. What you can change is the numbers in the array. ASR_AI assigns each unit class a skill set 0 thru 10, each set has a series of values for AimingAccuracy, AimingShake, AimingSpeed, SpotDistance, SpotTime and General.

If you want to override the skill set that ASR_AI assigns to a unit class then you can add those classes to the array below (asr_ai_sys_aiskill_levels_units). Robalo has added some example classes into that array so you can see how it is done.

If this is all a bit much. Please try the Enhanced Skills Sliders addon, as although it is in beta and has one reported bug, it does actually work. It doesn't do a lot of the stuff that ASR_AI does (nor is it designed to), but if you simply want to drop the skill levels of the enemy then that's what it does.

As for the config file that the post you linked to refers to, it is at;

c:\users\[username]\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\[arma username]\[armausername].Arma2OAProfile - use notepad to edit it.

You can change the enemy skill level in there for the different game modes (regular, expert etc). This is the same as changing the slider in the game options though. I am assuming you are playing SP as for dedicated MP, these are set on the server.

What does "enemy skill" affect? The AI's detection ability, accuracy, how aggressive they are, ect.?

I downloaded JED_ESS_V0.1 though I have not installed it. I want to try and fix this without mods before tearing apart my install.

Also, does editing the Arma2OAProfile affect an ACE install at all?

So far no success at reducing AI accuracy at all. At a distance were they are barely visible an AI soldier can shoot and hit me off hand before I even have control of my player.

Edited by Flogger23m

The skillenemy value will effect all aspects of the enemies skills. This is further modified by a config cfgAISkill which modifies each individual aspect of the skill (aimingaccuracy, aimgspeed etc).

Unfortunately just playing with this value is not going to allow you to fine tune one or two aspects of the enemies skills. If you turn down skillenemy too much they become too dumb and it becomes a chicken shoot.

The ideal situation is that the enemy is still relatively intelligent yet is not a sharp shooter with an AK47. If you read the thread I linked regarding precision enemy, you will see many people are having this problem. Unfortunately, until BI 'fix' precision enemy, then you will need to resort to addons, or editing your missions to set the skills arrays manually.

It's the whole reason I wrote the skills slider mod. It was originally made just for me while I was investigating how the skills array affected the enemy, but then I decided to release it. Check out this post with a video I made during it's development and you will see how the various skills values affect the enemy.

EDIT ---> Regarding ACE, changing the skillenemy will still have an effect as I don't think they re-wrote the whole AI subsystem. They may have made changes to some aspects of enemy AI though - in ACE, the enemy do always seema bit tougher - but that may just be because there are a lot of realism aspects that make the player more suseptable to injury!! My sliders affect the enemy in the same way in ACE or Vanilla so I suspect they haven't changed too much with regard to AI core skills.

Edited by Jedra

I am going to give your mod a try as it seems like the best possible solution. Is there a way I can make a default setting so that it is automatically applied to every mission, or do I have to manually set the sliders each time I load/restart a mission? From what I understand, the JED_CONFIG would be a default accuracy/skill set?

And forgive me for not seeing it in the readme PDF, but how do I open the menu in game?

Hi,

You can access the dialogue by selecting it from the actions menu (just scroll your mouse wheel).

The next version will be out in a few days which includes a map and also sets the skills so that any new units which spawn take on the last values set. I am just in the process of testing it now.

You don't really need the JED_CONFIG unless you are specifically looking to have a 1:1 correlation of skills. Adding JED_CONFIG will make the enemies much smarter, but you can of course then turn them down with the sliders.

At the moment there is no way to make a default setting - I am not sure there ever will be to be honest as every mission is different and you may wish to use different values each time. Maybe in the third release I will think of a sensible way of implementing it.

If you can find a way to implement it I would appreciate it (maybe give an option?).

So far I tried the current version and the results were good. I now have enough time to spot where enemy fire is, and scored a few kills while being killed myself a few times. Firefights actually last more than 15 seconds again!

This move BIS made to take away the "precision" as a separate end-user adjustment is really a step back.

All they needed to do in order to make things more user friendly and easily found/seen by all players would have been to simply add an "aiming precision" slider alongside the already existing "skill" slider in the difficulty menu. I could never understand why after all these years they never did this. For this game it is the best way to insure both ease of use AND a true customizable experience for all end user tastes and so simple to do.

But, instead they spend months of work trying to perfectly tweak the AI (which cant be done anyway to perfection) using beta testers who are too experienced and too highly skilled to offer what would interest mainstream and new players in the first place. If BIS wants to please both new users and experienced or very highly skilled players alike then they simply need to make the AI skill level MORE customizable but EASIER to find and use (by simply placing the sliders in the menus).

Also, rename the 2 menu sliders to something like: "AI Tactics & Aggression Skill" and "AI Aiming Precision Skill". There....done...simple...and it'll work for everyone. Geez, why do they make simple things so difficult?

As it stands right now, after testing a bunch of my favorite missions in 1.60 (some self made and others downloaded) all i have to say is that Coop play against AI is now a broken, frustrating experience for me. In all these years I have seen patch after patch being released and with each new patch released it was always my personal opinion that the AI was apparently getting worse and worse (more and more god-like as far as I was concerned) instead of gradually improving or becoming more scalable/adjustable.

I either have to completely uninstall the game and try to go back to 1.59 OR just completely stop playing now, wow.

Arma 3?, after 11 years im thinking maybe not...im getting too old and too tired of the waiting, constant fixing and adjusting of missions and new ever increasingly bad aimbots, heh.

Edited by BigShot