Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI accuracy question

AI accuracy question

It has been a while since I played ArmA 2, though I updated to the latest version of ACE 2 and installed a new official patch. Everything works fine, though the enemy AI's accuracy has gone from terrible to insanely good.

Previous the AI was abnormally inaccurate, now the enemy AI can take me out before I can even see them (and friendly AI). I recall there was a way to set the AI's accuracy. How can I do this? I would like to tone down the enemy AI accuracy, but not make them too easy.

I am playing on a 19 inch widescreen at 1680x1050, so if someone has ideal detection ranges/accuracy variables/settings for AI at this screen size let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfTournesol View Post
    If this is a ACE question, it should be posted in the ACE topic.
    I am not sure if it is an ACE question or not to be honest.

If you have ACE installed, then it is an ACE question. If you want to discuss anything related to the vanilla game, you have to use the vanilla game, meaning NO mods of any kind. Even if you think the mod should not affect a particular feature, you never can be sure.

And I'm pretty sure that ACE tweaks the AI accuracy, so you should play some without ACE to see what happens.

There have been changes since 1.6 which affect enemy accuracy - with or without ACE. Check out this thread.

If you are looking for a solution, there are various AI tweaks available.

ASR_AI - allows you to tweak enemy accuracy on a class basis (amongst lots of other things).

Enhanced Skills Slider - (my own mod) allows you to tweak various AI skill settings on the fly.

You may alos want to check out ZeusAI which after a bit of a rest is now seeing some much needed attention again.

All are SP/MP compatible.

Hope this helps.
    Jedra's Addons
    Arma 2 : Enhanced Skills Slider
    Take On Helicopters : Take On Taxi | Jedra's Time Trials | Weapon Indicators | No Radar

Sergeant Major
    I agree with Jedra but I'd go further by saying, ranking them in order of priority:

a) ASR AI mod - tried and test
    b) Enhanced Skills Slider - promising but barely published so prolly could benefit from a few optimisations and/or bug fixes
    c) Zeus AI - hasn't been updated in over 6 months (which is an age given there dozens of AI-related improvement brought by official patches releases since then)

Looks like it was the 1.60 patch.

Without installing further mods, what would be the best way to reduce the enemy AI's accuracy/precision?

Failing that, would SR AI work on top of ACE?

Quote Originally Posted by Flogger23m View Post
    Looks like it was the 1.60 patch.

Without installing further mods, what would be the best way to reduce the enemy AI's accuracy/precision?

Failing that, would SR AI work on top of ACE?
    ASR_AI works with ACE - you'll have no problems. Take care to read the first post in Robalo's thread though - it explains how to tweak the skills and also some of the other stuff that this mod does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
    ASR_AI works with ACE - you'll have no problems. Take care to read the first post in Robalo's thread though - it explains how to tweak the skills and also some of the other stuff that this mod does.
    I downloaded ASR, though I am still a bit confused on how to set the AI accuracy. Is the part in bold how I set AI accuracy? :

asr_ai_sys_aiskill_sets = 7;
    ["aimingAccuracy",[1.00,0.00],"aimingShake",[1.00,0.00],"aimingSpeed",[1.00,0.00],"spotDistance",[1.00,0.00],"spotTime",[1.00,0.00],"courage",[1.00,0.00]],// 0 (perfect)
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.55,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.80,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.80,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.20],"spotTime",[0.70,0.10],"courage",[0.80,0.20]],// 1
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.50,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.70,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.20],"spotTime",[0.65,0.10],"courage",[0.70,0.20]],// 2
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.45,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.60,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.60,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.60,0.20],"spotTime",[0.55,0.10],"courage",[0.60,0.20]],// 3
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.50,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.50,0.20],"spotTime",[0.50,0.10],"courage",[0.50,0.20]],// 4
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.40,0.20],"spotTime",[0.45,0.10],"courage",[0.40,0.20]],// 5
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.30,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.30,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.30,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.30,0.20],"spotTime",[0.40,0.10],"courage",[0.30,0.20]],// 6
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.25,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.20,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.20,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.20,0.20],"spotTime",[0.35,0.10],"courage",[0.20,0.20]],// 7
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.20],"spotTime",[0.70,0.10],"courage",[0.40,0.20]],// 8 (pilot 1, better)
    ["aimingAccuracy",[0.30,0.20],"aimingShake",[0.30,0.20],"aimingSpeed",[0.30,0.20],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.20],"spotTime",[0.65,0.10],"courage",[0.30,0.20]] // 9 (pilot 2)
    ];
    */

The difference between 1 and 7 is non-existent in a flat terrian map.

I'm just looking for a way to reduce their accuracy, as while they are invisible to me they can clearly see and shot me with amazing accuracy. Sprinting or not. I'm talking about me and 8-9 friendly AI units killed in 40 seconds without any of us getting a visual (or detection for AI) or being able to return fire. It is bad on empty terrian maps, but when playing in maps with a lot of brush it becomes impossible to fight enemy infantry. I do not care for other changes at the moment as I want to limit the number of mods I use.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=2370

Doing what is mentioned in the OP seems like it can help, but I can not locate the "profile config" file. If I can not find it I will sadly have to shelve the game and remove it from my HDD... no use it playing a game with AI that cheats. If this was BIS's response to making the AI "better" then I only fear what they have done to the AI in ArmA 3. Yet the AI still can't drive along waypoints following a road.
    Last edited by Flogger23m; Feb 17 2012 at 22:46.

The asr_ai_sys_skillsets is an array - you should return it to how it was. What you can change is the numbers in the array. ASR_AI assigns each unit class a skill set 0 thru 10, each set has a series of values for AimingAccuracy, AimingShake, AimingSpeed, SpotDistance, SpotTime and General.

If you want to override the skill set that ASR_AI assigns to a unit class then you can add those classes to the array below (asr_ai_sys_aiskill_levels_units). Robalo has added some example classes into that array so you can see how it is done.

If this is all a bit much. Please try the Enhanced Skills Sliders addon, as although it is in beta and has one reported bug, it does actually work. It doesn't do a lot of the stuff that ASR_AI does (nor is it designed to), but if you simply want to drop the skill levels of the enemy then that's what it does.

As for the config file that the post you linked to refers to, it is at;

c:\users\[username]\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\[arma username]\[armausername].Arma2OAProfile - use notepad to edit it.

You can change the enemy skill level in there for the different game modes (regular, expert etc). This is the same as changing the slider in the game options though. I am assuming you are playing SP as for dedicated MP, these are set on the server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast