Sign in to follow this  
NaturalFlying

Think i can play this game?

Ok first of all,Im 13,now i'm playing BF3 on xbox and i am planning to get a gaming PC. Arma seems to be really cool and i seem to have a Natural talent at flying (I learned to fly in 2 attempts on BF3) also maybe i will try out the game 'Take on Helicopters' but do you think i will understand the game well and that the players will accept me,also this registration was kinda weird,they asked for Operation Flashpoint Cold Crisis release (Google searching...) or something... i proved that i was a human to many times ._.

Still think i will be good in this game? i love flying..its addicting like chocolate for me,im Swedish and i know the English language well.

Now no haters.

Did this forums have lots of spammers cause of the registration/thread posting stuff?

I'm asking this cause of Youtube vids and it seems very.....mature and REALISTIC <3 Mw3 i played it,exchanged it for Skyrim,BF3 Meh,im tired of it,its to easy now,no flamming just good ol'e answers.

And for you guys that hates CoD,im with you all the way....i hate cod so dont say CoD fanboy..

Err, first of all, wrong section.

Second, sure, if you really think you're up to it, go for it. I'm the same age as you and I don't have any problems playing Arma or tweaking it outside the game.

I'll just say, after you get it, look around on how to get better performance as Arma can usually run a lot better than how it runs default. Set video memory to Default, I cannot stress this enough!

Flying in BF3 is piss easy, it is a bit harder in Arma but really easy compared to flight sims.

Welcome.

I started playing BIS games when I was 16 (when the first one was released), but I used to play flight sims all the time back then, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you've got the patience to learn through a reasonably steep learning curve. All of BIS' games have a steeper learning curve than most other games, flying is relatively simply in the ArmA games compared to dedicated flight sims, although it should get better when ArmA3 gets the far more detailed Take on Helicopters flight model. Currently ArmA2 has the old flight model, but there is a beta of the ToH flight model that you can play with in ArmA2 to see how it improves the flying experience. Everyone can learn to play BIS games, it's just a matter of being prepared to invest the time it takes to "get it".

Edited by JdB

Welcome! I've started playing original cwc when I was 11. :) But I wasn't flying at that time. I don't think age would be the problem. ;) From bf to arma? You might be shocked!

just get any 2500k or 2700k intel sandy bridge processor, newest ATI 7970, and you'll be able to play arma 2 on max deiials, probably also arma 3 when it comes out. Nice to hear, there are even young people, that can figure out - BF and COD are simply to easy and mainstream, if you want real challenge - Arma is the only way to go!

Welcome to our community ;)

Welcome

I think the flying is fairly simple in Arma(when it comes to shooting Im not as good :p).

On the ground however you are really vulnerable but it shouldnt be a problem if you take it easy, just have patience.

Most important is to be on the lookout because most battles are at long ranges so you will barerly see the enemy and to take it slow(as said before)

Most important is to be on the lookout because most battles are at long ranges so you will barerly see the enemy and to take it slow(as said before)[/quote

lol yeah, i know it since flashpoint times, got shot out of nowhere? Take it easy, you are in a battlesim ;)

I was about the same age when i started playing CWC.

Are you trying to prove his point? ;)

Age doesn't matter, attitude does.

Are you trying to prove his point? ;)

I would think of a witty comeback, but with a signature like this i am afraid it is futile. :p

When I was your age... I started playing Operation Flashpoint. :)

Still think i will be good in this game? i love flying..its addicting like chocolate for me,im Swedish and i know the English language well.

I wouldn't worry about the level of flying difficulty in the ArmA series. It's easy stuff, just BF3 with a couple extra difficulties like lower landing angles and higher takeoff speeds. I'd worry more about not getting shot down and learning to properly use ordinance.

But welcome to the ArmA family.

I was 12 when I started playing Operation Flashpoint, that was 10 years ago. It's harder and demands more patience than most games, give it a go.

The helicopters were also what lured me in at first.

The flying in the ArmA series is terrible. It is worse than BF3 even. If BF3 is your only experience with flying in a game, then pick up Ace Combat 6 (not Assault Horizon) for the Xbox 360. AC6 is an arcade game, though the controls and flight model are done far better than ArmA/BF. Once you get the hang of AC6, pick up Apache Air Assault and/or Wings of Prey. Both are games with some slight simulation aspects. Both are far harder to learn than AC6. When you master though games, look into Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. It is a survey sim, but it does a decent job of modeling the various planes and tactics (though simplified). If you can master Lock On, get into the DCS series.

Alternatively, you can download the Rise of Flight demo (full game minus all of the planes), which is free. This is a true flight simulator, yanking on your stick will tear your plane apart or cause you to stall. It is a great simulator, and very fun to fly, though I am not sure if WWI flight is of interest to you.

If you are interested in realistic infantry tactics, get ArmA. The gameplay is nothing like BF3, it is very much the opposite. I am not saying you will not like the game, but just remember the gameplay is nothing like BF3.

hmm.. the game will be rated 16 or 18 afik. so you can play the game but should not. you would need someone else to buy it for you thought.

and to the people who say. give it a go etc and brag how young you where when you started playing ofp/arma. i think its wrong..

would you reccomend a 13 year old kid a horror movie set to 18, even tho the game doesnt have gore. the game has blod, bad language. massive killing etc. just a thought!

Edited by nuxil

The flying in the ArmA series is terrible. It is worse than BF3 even. If BF3 is your only experience with flying in a game, then pick up Ace Combat 6 (not Assault Horizon) for the Xbox 360. AC6 is an arcade game, though the controls and flight model are done far better than ArmA/BF. Once you get the hang of AC6, pick up Apache Air Assault and/or Wings of Prey. Both are games with some slight simulation aspects. Both are far harder to learn than AC6. When you master though games, look into Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. It is a survey sim, but it does a decent job of modeling the various planes and tactics (though simplified). If you can master Lock On, get into the DCS series.

Alternatively, you can download the Rise of Flight demo (full game minus all of the planes), which is free. This is a true flight simulator, yanking on your stick will tear your plane apart or cause you to stall. It is a great simulator, and very fun to fly, though I am not sure if WWI flight is of interest to you.

If you are interested in realistic infantry tactics, get ArmA. The gameplay is nothing like BF3, it is very much the opposite. I am not saying you will not like the game, but just remember the gameplay is nothing like BF3.

The flight in BF3 only shows car can be faster than a jet plane and AA GUN has a poor fire range of 200m.

Ok first of all,Im 13,now i'm playing BF3 on xbox and i am planning to get a gaming PC. Arma seems to be really cool and i seem to have a Natural talent at flying (I learned to fly in 2 attempts on BF3) also maybe i will try out the game 'Take on Helicopters' but do you think i will understand the game well and that the players will accept me,also this registration was kinda weird,they asked for Operation Flashpoint Cold Crisis release (Google searching...) or something... i proved that i was a human to many times ._.

Now no haters.

Did this forums have lots of spammers cause of the registration/thread posting stuff?

I'm asking this cause of Youtube vids and it seems very.....mature and REALISTIC <3 Mw3 i played it,exchanged it for Skyrim,BF3 Meh,im tired of it,its to easy now,no flamming just good ol'e answers.

And for you guys that hates CoD,im with you all the way....i hate cod so dont say CoD fanboy..

Hello NaturalFlying and welcome to the Arma 3 forums!!

So you like flying, me to, its what I mostly do in Arma 2. There's a couple of things you should know.

First of all the controls, BF3 flying is nothing compared to flying in Arma. It imposes much more realistic flight physics which brings you more freedom but also boasts a lot of new challenges. I play Battlefield to, and in Battlefield you can control you jet with the WASD buttons and the mouse. In Arma you'll need your whole keyboard, and more.

I use a flight stick, a throttle and my mouse and keyboard all at once. It comes much closer to operating in a real cockpit then Battlefield. Next to that, in battlefield you can slow down your jet to speeds where in Arma it would start to stall, you can go much higher and faster but again, this brings challenges. In Battlefield you can almost turn your jet like a car, its easy to use the yaw controls to achieve this, but in Arma you turn fastest by banking and pulling some g's.

Its up to you how realistic you want it, by default its pretty tricky and takes real effort to master it. I use mods that make it even more realistic.

Finally, in Battlefield you can just spray and shoot away all you want and your ammo will magically replenish. In Arma, what you see is what you get. You got 2 missles, 4 bombs and 14 rockets under your wings? That means you can shoot 2 missiles, 4 bombs and 14 rockets.

Pilots are a special breed of gamers and in my opinion a minority. So getting another on board is always great.

Good luck and have fun!!

^^I wouldn't agree on the realism part about flying, Flogger23m pretty much nailed it, like it or not, Arma's system is worse than BF3's...

Age does not matter I was 13 when space invaders came out. I got that good at it and spent that long that the curry house where the machine was banned me from it because they were not making any profit. I have played games ever since and am now 47, its already been mentioned but it is your attitude towards a sim like flashpoint, Arma and Arma2 etc

Ok thanks for all answers,i will get arma sometime,and that 'keep your ammo' thing on helicopters is great,BF3 is so much spam of everything on everything. I Played CoD as kid(Now i mean kidkid) Then i want some realistic so i bought BF3 (BC2,1943 First) and yeah.....its to easy. I Got Dragon rising and it was a bit more difficult,thats why i want Arma.....now that 3 is about to release,will it still be that tactical gameplay with communication,will they add more modern stuff and is it 2013 etc... or future or whatever and will the graphics be good....you know...upgrades and stuff like that.

If you have the computer already and have money left over then you can get ARMA2 now to get used to it.

ARMA2 versions:

ARMA2: Combined Operations (This includes the original "ARMA2" and "ARMA2:Operation Arrowhead" Upgrade)

ARMA2:free (Do a search. This free version only has lowres textures and some things are missing but it allows you to play online in ARMA2 servers)

ARMA2:Operation Arrowhead (Newest version of ARMA but does not contain Chernarus map and some weapons/vehicles from ARMA2)

...Or just wait for ARMA3... (Hopefully summertime)

http://www.arma3.com

I'd say ARMA2 helicopter handling is a bit easier than BF3 as you don't loose altitude so much when banking but ARMA3 helicopter flight model will be much more realistic and harder than BF3.

Edited by EDcase