Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Enhanced Skills Slider

Enhanced Skills Slider by Jedra

(new version 1.7)

panel_new.jpg

Description

With some of the changes to the way precision-enemy and precision-friendly work in the 1.6 patch, I started to look at how the AI works in Arma 2, paying particular attention to the Skills Array. In various bouts of testing I found that the skills array had a drastic effect on the way the AI behaved. I came to the conclusion that just having a slider for overall skill was not giving the player, or server admin the fine control they needed. Hence the Enhanced Skills Slider.

The Enhanced Skills Slider will allow you to change the skills of a whole side, a whole group or a single unit on the fly. It works in Single Player, Multiplayer (LAN) and Multiplayer (Dedicated).

The Enhanced Skills Slider is a Client and Server Side Addon and will only be available to the server admin when playing multiplayer. It is accessed via the Action menu.

Version

Current version is 1.7.

I have made a huge amount of changes internally this time and added the ability for any new units to inherit values that have been set up in the slider. There is also a more information in the details panel that indicates which values will be inherited by any newly spawned units. To achieve this, the mod must now be installed on clients and server if you want the units to inherit values.

I have also added a map, which indicates the position of individual units (if a unit is selected) or the group leader (if a group is selected). The selected units are only shown briefly. If you are playing in 'rock hard' mode I did not want to reveal the whole battlefield and potentially spoil your game. If the unit doesn't appear for long enough, simply select it again.

Changelog in the spoiler below...

v1.7 - Fixed a problem with detecting a LAN (hosted) mission.

v 1.6
- Fixed a problem with preinitialisation that stopped this mod from loading with certain other mods.

v 1.5

- Added ability for new units to inherit values set in the sliders.
- Details display shows which values will be inherited by new units.
- A number of bug fixes.
- Massive code cleanup.
- Restructured code to be more CBA-like to take advantage of CBA functions.
- Some visual changes.
- Documentation updated.
- Config hotfix now included.

v1.0 (not released)

- Added Map
- Changed where the addon appeared in the action menu.
- Tidied some code.

V.0.1 Beta.

Known Issues

Currently the addon cannot read the skills values of units that are attached to remote clients (although it CAN write to them). In this case, the values you see are what the server thinks they are. I am not sure if I will ever get around this, but I am looking into it. I don't see it as such a big issue though as mainly the focus will be on enemy AI which is generally on the server. If people have any suggestions regarding this issue then I will be happy to hear them.

There is no feedback from the Dialog when you apply - just assume it has applied the values.

There are occaisional script errors when the client or server tries to apply a skill value to a unit that has just been killed. I have tried my vary best to make sure this does not happen often, but sometimes the timing is such that by the time a message gets to the server, the unit has died. You may have to live with this but it only seems to happen when lots of units are engaged at the same time AND you try and change the skills.

I have made a lot of changes in this version, although I have tested it extensivley in the last few days, there may still be some issues.

ASR_AI users - Both the Enhanced Skills Slider addon and ASR_AI make changes to the way units are initialised. They both change the skills for new units. I do not want to fight with ASR_AI (Robalo is probably bigger than me!), so I have put my stuff in the Init whereas ASR_AI puts it's stuff in post-init. This means that any changes that ASR_AI makes will overwrite the changes that ESS makes. I have done this on purpose as otherwise things would get into a right mess. I cannot guarantee that any other AI mods (such as ZeusAI) will not get tangled up with my changes. It is likely that at some stage, when ASR_AI gets a GUI, my own mod will become redundant anyway - you're just going to have to bear these warnings in mind if you use both mods.

I have tested this using the beta version 89223 - some of the security changes made in later betas may affect this mod. I have been too scared to try them, so for now using a more recent version is at your own risk. I would be interested in feedback of any bugs in later betas though.

A Word of Warning

Changing skills wholesale can seriously affect the playability of a mission. Please take some time to read the included documentation and experiment with your favourite mission and see how things are affected. Please, don't use this for the first time on that Once A Year Clan Night!! I really don't want a squad of angry ex-military types at my door at 3am demanding why I ruined their evening (unless they bring beer)! The Red Arrows are based less than a mile away - any trouble and I will call them - they will come and blow red white and blue smoke up you're ass!

Features

• View skill values currently set for individual units
  • Change individual skill values on the fly for Sides, Groups and single units
  • Increase or decrease skills based on a percentage value
  • Apply random skills to units based on a supplied range
  • Apply a spread to Random Ranges so that each unit is slightly different
  • Client and Server Side Addon
  • Restricted to Server Admin in Multiplayer
  • V2 Key Signature included
  • Optional confid for CfgAISkills included see below)
  • Full (ish!) documentation included in the download
  • NEW - Any new units created by the clients or the server now inherit changes made with ESS - as long as these changes are made to All Units.
  • NEW - ESS now has a map and briefly shows the location of units and group leaders selected.
  • NEW - the details section now shows which elements will be inherited.

Required Addons

Community Based Addons - CBA (on host client, server and all connected clients) - Not included.

JED_CONFIG is an optional addon, but if used, must also be on the host client, server and all connected clients.

DOWNLOAD

The addon can be downloaded here from my Server.

Six Updater Direct Download

Armaholic

ArmA2Base

ArmedAssault.info

Mirrors are most welcome!

Installation

Install @JED_ESS as you would any other addon. If you don't know how to do this then you probably shouldn't use this addon ;-)

Compatibility

There is no reason why this mod should not be compatible with any other mod or mission. However, if a mod (or more likely a mission) you use also applies skills using script, then they may override any skills set in the Enhanced Skills Slider. Unfortunately I have no control over that, but you can always re-set them again! See the note on ASR_AI above for further clarification on this.

If you you use the Optional Config, please read the warning in the readme (embedded below).

Optional Config

I have included an optional config in the download. To save my typing here is the readme from there...

JED_CONFIG - By Jedra
=====================
This config replacement will override the standard BIS CfgAISkill.
It basically makes the skill values 1:1 with the values that are actually applied by the engine.
By default the cfgAISkill config values are applied against the skills in the skills array.
For example;

If the following is set in cfgAISkill;

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 0.4};

An AI with aimingAccuracy 0 has an actual aimingAccuracy of 0.2
An AI with aimingAccuracy 1 has an actual aimingAccuracy 0.4
An AI with aimingAccuracy between 0 and 1 has respective (probably linear) actual aimingAccuracy applied.

By making the config;

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

There is now a 1:1 relationship between skills set in the skills array (via script) and the actual skill used by the engine.
(Thanks to HeinBloed for the explanation).

WARNING - using this config with other AI mods such as ASR_AI or Zeus may have unexpected effects as both of these mods also override cfgAISkill.

WARNING - There is no undo feature in this mod, once you have applied skills, they are applied - no going back to orginal values unless you restart the mission!

Edited by Jedra
New Version

wow really nice

so i got the addon and i put it on the server too. As admin i can change the settings on the fly , for which units? all the units being loaded from the server, i mean i also have custom ones, like mercenaries and black ops. They will be also recognized and i can change em? That would be superb..Seriously

Edited by Fruity_Rudy

Added to Six Updater Network.

2yvv67o.png Direct Download | Mod info

Congrats on release! (JedESS, JedAss, JackAss???? :-D)

Since when did you change your tag to funnyboy ;-) Thanks for putting me on Six - I feel like a real person now!

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

wow really nice

so i got the addon and i put it on the server too. As admin i can change the settings on the fly , for which units? all the units being loaded from the server, i mean i also have custom ones, like mercenaries and black ops. They will be also recognized and i can change em? That would be superb..Seriously

You don't need to put the addon on the server (just CBA). It applies changes to EVERY unit for a particulr side in the mission regardless of how they got there - if you select 'All Units', or all units in a group if you select a Group.

Individual units will be harder to spot as you can only see their unit ID. In a future version I will implement a map so you can at least see where they are. I may also implement a 'unit by class' function to make it easier. First I will see how this version is received!

Great addon, thx a lot for a release!

But you see, im having a small problem - nothing is working for me at all.

I put @JED_ESS into Arma directory, as all other addons, load the game, and nothing happens:j: I thought, in context menu their should be a new tips, like in your video, but theres nothing there :(

Can you pls help me?

I put @JED_ESS into Arma directory, as all other addons, load the game, and nothing happens:j: I thought, in context menu their should be a new tips, like in your video, but theres nothing there :(

Can you pls help me?

How are you launching Arma 2? If by a shortcut then you should add it to your -mod= line.

No, I`m using Arma 2 launcher 3.1

So far (all this 3 years) it has worked properly, but now i`m trying "-mod= line":)

Can you pls help me?

You need CBA. Install and launch over Six Updater and all is automatic; sixupdater://mod=d9572d1e-5717-11e1-bd8c-001517bd964c (the link works if you install www.six-updater.net, and start it once)

Great work Jedra! Hope to give it a go later...

/KC

Hi all,

Right, put your hands up if you are a complete fecking numpty....

Yes, that's me with my hand up. Accidently binarized the pbo when I repacked it with the key! You'll need to re download from the link in the first post. I think I did it properly this time ;-)

Sickboy - I would be grateful if you could get Six to do it's magic on the file again - apologies.

That's what you get when you try and do something with two 4 year olds running around your ankles!

Apologies to all.

Hi all,

Right, put your hands up if you are a complete fecking numpty....

Yes, that's me with my hand up. Accidently binarized the pbo when I repacked it with the key! You'll need to re download from the link in the first post. I think I did it properly this time ;-)

Sickboy - I would be grateful if you could get Six to do it's magic on the file again - apologies.

That's what you get when you try and do something with two 4 year olds running around your ankles!

Apologies to all.

NP mate, done ;-)

Thanks for the mirrors everyone!

Please let me know if you have issues with the mod.

You Rock Jedra.

Will give it a go this weekend with the guys.

Thanks for your hard work and keep at it attitude.

This looks amazing.

Can't wait to get into tii

This is a great addon. Cannot wait for full group/side functionality, single-unit useage is a little limited right now, but OK for testing. I'm not keen on the blue perma-hint in the middle of the screen, but I guess that's another beta detail?

With full group/side functionality, this will definitely be among my permanents.

This is a great addon. Cannot wait for full group/side functionality, single-unit useage is a little limited right now, but OK for testing. I'm not keen on the blue perma-hint in the middle of the screen, but I guess that's another beta detail?

With full group/side functionality, this will definitely be among my permanents.

Hello mate,

Side and Group functionality should be working. It is for me anyway ;-) It does not display slider values for Side/Group initially because it makes no sense to do so when each unit within a group or side will have different values. But certainly if you set a spread range or apply a percentage when a side / group are selected it does apply them to each unit in that group or side. Try it - set a spread range for a group and then check on an individual unit you know is in that group.

The perma-hint is because it is an addaction that is continually checking to see if the player is alive and an admin and it is generally first on the list. I guess because I play mostly with ACE I don't see it. I'll check if you can do something about this with the addaction command.

@Old Bear - thanks for the mirror - I'll update the first post.

The perma-hint is because it is an addaction that is continually checking to see if the player is alive and an admin and it is generally first on the list. I guess because I play mostly with ACE I don't see it. I'll check if you can do something about this with the addaction command.

If its the blue "set skill" menu then it goes away with a right click of the mouse like the action menu in general.

Great addon!

EDIT: Jedra, just to be clear to my daft head, is values sliders set to right always better or is it mixed? Thinking of Aiming Accuracy i can imagine its better with a higher value, but is it the same with Aiming Shake? Read the manual and although its clear to some people im uncertain myself. Cheers.

Edited by Alex72