Sign in to follow this  
domokun

Best way to shift install onto another drive?

I just bought myself an SSD and was wondering what would be the quickest way to migrate my A2/OA/BAF/PMC install from my HDD onto my SSD.

Any ideas?

It's fairly easy. You basically need to do two things:

1. Move the Arma2 directory to the new location.

2. Point all Arma2 registry paths to the new location.

If you have used the registry editor before, the whole process should be trivial. Check if the following registry keys exist:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bohemia Interactive

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bohemia Interactive Studio

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio

If you are using a 64bit operating system, I would also recommend checking under the Software\Wow6432Node keys. Wherever you find a Bohemia key, check it for sub-keys related to Arma2, and wherever you find a value pointing to the old directory, change it to point to the new one.

you can also just copy the AddOns folder to the new drive (lets say it's D) and start arma with -mod=D:\ added to the shortcut.

It's fairly easy. You basically need to do two things:

1. Move the Arma2 directory to the new location.

2. Point all Arma2 registry paths to the new location.

A way without registry editor:

Install ArmA2 and OA to your SSD.

Don´t apply patches.

Copy your old installation to SSD and overwrite everything.

Don´t apply patches.

Yeah if you aren't comfortable editting the registry, this way is the best. Registry + Copypasta way is faster though :p

Don´t apply patches.

Sorry to almost necro this thread.

Will this work if I want to transfer my current Arma2 installation from my almost dead computer to a new shiny one with SSD?

ie

Install Arma2 and OA on my new computer

Put drive from old computer in, copy all Arma files over

Retire old computer for parts -> no I don't plan on having 2 installations

I have PMC as well, do I need to do anything for that?

Thanks in advance

I've tried this in the past - I used to be able to do it for OFP installs, but you'd need to doctor a few registry entries. I don't think I had any luck with A1 or A2.

The DLCs are all pretty much just PBO files, so you can copy them straight, however for A2 and OA, I would be thinking that a fresh install be in order just in case.

I've tried this in the past - I used to be able to do it for OFP installs, but you'd need to doctor a few registry entries. I don't think I had any luck with A1 or A2.

The DLCs are all pretty much just PBO files, so you can copy them straight, however for A2 and OA, I would be thinking that a fresh install be in order just in case.

Thanks for the prompt answer, but sorry, I'm still confused CMcD. So a fresh install of A2 and OA followed by an overwrite of the new Arma2 installation with my old one should work without registry fiddling?

If you dont want to do a fresh install you can just use steam mover, just goggle and download it. Change the directory and point it to your SSD.

So a fresh install of A2 and OA followed by an overwrite of the new Arma2 installation with my old one should work without registry fiddling?

I take absolutely no responsibility for the hair you may lose, but I believe that's correct. :) Good luck!

Honestly, a fresh install would probably be the easiest.

I take absolutely no responsibility for the hair you may lose, but I believe that's correct. :) Good luck!

Hair already gone mate! But any I had would have fallen out after messing around til 2am trying to get it to work.

In the end, the way I got it to all happen was:

1 - Reinstall A2 and CO to my new computer's HD (for the correct registry keys)

2 - Reinstall BAF and PMC (for the registry keys for decryption)

3 - Overwrite the whole thing with the Arma 2 directory from my old computer (containing all mods, update and betas)

Then to move the installation around on the same computer it was just a matter of changing the paths in the registry

Windows 7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 OA

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 BAF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 PMC

XP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 OA

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 BAF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\Arma 2 PMC

I easily moved it onto an SSD in this manner.

So the moral of the story is: registry fiddling if you want to move an installation to a different place on the same computer, reinstall + overwrite if you want to move it to a different computer.

you can just copy the AddOns folders (also from folders expansion and dlc's) to the ssd and then run it as a mod. That way basically everything is accessed from the ssd.

Gets you the performance of an ssd install without having to reinstall.

I have all my mods stored on a 1TB HDD, so they are accessed from there, seems to work a treat, saves a lot of space on my a2 pc as I have around 400 mods or so inc islands (around 200 running inc islands, 150ish with the arma/ofp islands).

What about using symbolic link creator? http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

I recently bought an SSD which is C: and has windows on it, Arma2 is in G:\Games\ArmA II I want to move the Arma2 folder to C: so it's on the SSD and do the following:

1. Create a folder C:\ArmA II

2. Move the contents of G:\Games\ArmA II to C:\ArmA II

3. Create a symbolic link as in the image below

symbolicarma2.jpg

Now the game should run from the new fast SSD on C: but Windows/Registry etc sees G:\Games\ArmA II so the install isn't affected and I don't need to reinstall/reactivate etc.

Edit: Just tried that and it seems to work fine, but the launch shortcuts disappeared so maybe it's better to do step 3 before step 2?

Edited by Placebo