Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Take On Helicopters Beta Patch 89299

You need to use the "launch beta" link created in your TKOH game folder or start menu.

If you enjoy my work and want to my support efforts doing this for a living,
    please consider to become a patreon - Community Funded Modding!

(305 of 1000$ per month by 36 patrons reached for first tier)

Current projects: CUP, AiA TP, AiA SA, AiA HQ, IFA3

Help: Got a crash? Report it! What is the RPT log file?

I just took the med helicopter for a spin and to be honest there isn't really anything positive to say about how the FM develops. Torque induced yaw is practically non-existent... This needs to change. Be it a new difficulty setting or an added option to enable/disable torque effects.

The light heli with this Beta and CP 3 is very enjoyable to fly. 1.03 was a big improvement but the latest betas are steps back regarding FM changes. I understand that this is to enable kb&m on expert but for everyone who likes an authentic flight experience in a helicopter this is disappointing. I don't have the time to fiddle with the flightmodel myself and I'm certainly not the right person to do so (not a pilot here). Plus, I don't think it is the community's job to provide an authentic FM.

So for the love of God, do something before you push out the next official patch/TOH:Hinds. Please!

3.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Derbysieger View Post
    I just took the med helicopter for a spin and to be honest there isn't really anything positive to say about how the FM develops. Torque induced yaw is practically non-existent...
    I cannot reproduce this. If I place flying Medium Heli in editor and play on hightest difficulty, I MUST use pedals to compensate, otherwise the helicopter will spinn quickly out of control. I have default linear sensitivity on pedals controler. In steady hover I use aprox 15% of left pedal pressure. The amount of required pedal presure also varies on actual colective settings and forward speed (fuselage and stabilizers aerodynamics are simulated too). Maybe your problem is that you expect that you will be kicking 30-50% percent of pedals just because of torque?

I can confirm there is torque induced yaw when you have a little weight and high density altitude. But torque induced yaw won't happen in forward flight a lot. Because the tail rotor gains effectiveness with ETL and the fuselage stabilizes.

for example: use "this setCustomWeightRTD 500;" in the init of a light chopper and see how much torque induced yaw you get. I think at 600 you won't even be able to do a hover out of ground effect.

btw: in this video of yours you have a lot yawing and hence skidding when you pull full collective. Too bad the turn indicator isn't functional.

All in all I don't really get what you mean Derbysieger...

5.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #25
    Author of the Thread
    Could this be because of the community patch 3 you're using according to your awesome TT videos Derbysieger? The beta patch is running on RTD4, meaning the XMLs modified based on older versions may not be compatible?
    Bohemia Interactive
    Arma 3 - Project Lead
    Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
    Take On Noisecontrollers!

Quote Originally Posted by Armored_Sheep View Post
    I cannot reproduce this. If I place flying Medium Heli in editor and play on hightest difficulty, I MUST use pedals to compensate, otherwise the helicopter will spinn quickly out of control. I have default linear sensitivity on pedals controler. In steady hover I use aprox 15% of left pedal pressure. The amount of required pedal presure also varies on actual colective settings and forward speed (fuselage and stabilizers aerodynamics are simulated too). Maybe your problem is that you expect that you will be kicking 30-50% percent of pedals just because of torque?
    I'm sorry about this post. It's bollocks. I will avoid that in future.

Still I'm not entirely happy with it.
    I don't know ... 15% in a hover seems very low. I was doing slingload operations before I posted and it required only very little input. When I set the weight of the med heli higher it feels more how I would expect it to be and is actually pretty good. In all the videos I watched the pilots seem to apply a lot more pressure in a hover than 15%. Torque induced yaw like it is in the light heli in 1.03 seems pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Serclaes View Post
    I can confirm there is torque induced yaw when you have a little weight and high density altitude. But torque induced yaw won't happen in forward flight a lot. Because the tail rotor gains effectiveness with ETL and the fuselage stabilizes.

for example: use "this setCustomWeightRTD 500;" in the init of a light chopper and see how much torque induced yaw you get. I think at 600 you won't even be able to do a hover out of ground effect.

btw: in this video of yours you have a lot yawing and hence skidding when you pull full collective. Too bad the turn indicator isn't functional.

Yes there is torque induced yaw, it's just that I think it should be a little more noticable.
    I'm flying with community patch 3 in that video and I screwed up. That's why you see this. I screwed up around CP 4. After that I struggled a little bit and missed the timings for the following CPs. You don't usually need pedals after CP 5 but I made mistakes and tried to save my run (in my other videos you can sometimes see accidental pedal input too because I still have no pedals). I'm now at 1:05min for Cool Runnings.

Btw hover out of ground effect in the light Heli with weight set to 600 is no problem in this beta (collective raised ~70-80%) but it's tricky to maintain (heli is a bit twitchy with so much weight).
    With a little added weight (passengers, cargo or weight set in editor) it is a lot better, but still. The AH6 feels a little light considering all the ammo it carries.

btw, with Community Patch 3 and 1.03 it's the opposite. You almost always have to apply left pedal, even in a fast forward flight which is really weird^^

Again, sorry I exaggerated so much.

€dit:

Quote Originally Posted by DnA View Post
    Could this be because of the community patch 3 you're using according to your awesome TT videos Derbysieger? The beta patch is running on RTD4, meaning the XMLs modified based on older versions may not be compatible?
    mhhh. I don't know ... I will do some runs without.
    Last edited by Derbysieger; Feb 17 2012 at 14:35.

7.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #27

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
    i wonder that too, i hope You testing these new betas w/o any FDM mods

I always remove the FDM mods when I load betas for testing

I take back most of my criticism. Only I still think torque induced yaw should be a little more distinct during hover.
    Last edited by Derbysieger; Feb 17 2012 at 14:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbysieger View Post
    I'm sorry about this post. It's bollocks. I will avoid that in future.
    Btw hover out of ground effect in the light Heli with weight set to 600 is no problem in this beta (collective raised ~70-80%) but it's tricky to maintain (heli is a bit twitchy with so much weight).
    With a little added weight (passengers, cargo or weight set in editor) it is a lot better, but still. The AH6 feels a little light considering all the ammo it carries.
    That's because the AH6s guns and ammo do not seem to have been added to the weight. As long as I didn't miss another getter that is :P
    That'ld be 2xM134, the FFAR launcher, the mount, 4000rds 762 NATO, 14 Hydras.

About the torque: Try setting the weather to the sunniest possible in summer and like 1300 or 1400 hrs. That should change the air density a fair bit

Ok now it's almost impossible. I still managed a hover for about 15s (collective almost fully raised, almost 100% left pedal) but then the heli started to make worrying noises xD

About the time trial Cool Runnings:
    Maybe you can tweak the time a little? I constantly stay below 1:10min. The other time trials are harder to beat. I'm currently flying Ursa Major and it is a real pain in the a**. Good job on that one! I just beat silver^^

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast