Sign in to follow this  
ericfr

Strange CTD since 1.60 and new Betas

This happens only on desertic environment and only with Combat mode.

Mission repro :http://www.mediafire.com/?4a76tumfp7wvnj2

Wait and see, a team comes to you and CTD after few seconds.

It seems the combination with new behavior combat mode and malloc cause the CTD why only on desertic environment ? (In this

mission repro the textures of the units are poor) Cpu and Gpu overload ?

No CTD with Arma2.exe only Arma2oa.exe.

Config : FSAA=0,postFX=0,AToC=0,FXAA=0,PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0,localVRAM=1073741824;

nonlocalVRAM=123076608;

is there a way to test without Malloc? (-noMalloc)

Dumps an Rpt files :http://www.mediafire.com/?g4npbd51hb0s8sd

Edited by EricFr

Cannot reproduce any crash in the mission, unfortunately. The dumps you have attached are from Arma 2, Arma 2 OA files would be named not arma2.xxx, but arma2oa.xxx. Dumps from OA need to be looked for in ArmA 2 OA folder of the application data, not ArmA 2.

Sorry Suma, here are the correct files (Arma2oa): http://www.mediafire.com/?rmpdqmc1ib4lhh6

Recieving black screen appears before the CTD.

The crash seems to be caused by a GPU device driver internal error. Such internal driver error are also usually accompanied by the Recieving black screen, as the game attempts to reset the GPU to get the driver back working. I do not see a solution on our side.

Is your videocard GTX260/280/295?

If yes - there's little you can do apart from getting a different videocard since NVidia drivers are crappy for this chip in particular and tend to crash sometimes.

In case you were OC'ing your videocard and get lower FPS after the crash I can tell you how to fix that without rebooting.

It seems the combination with new behavior combat mode and malloc cause the CTD why only on desertic environment ? (In this

nonlocalVRAM=123076608;

Can you tell some details about GFX Card and Driver ? Overclocked ? etc ?

best post a DXDIAG File here ...

Is your videocard GTX260/280/295?

If yes - there's little you can do apart from getting a different videocard since NVidia drivers are crappy for this chip in particular and tend to crash sometimes.

I'm sorry, what? This is complete BS. Latest drivers are pretty good, last time i saw driver crash with arma was in early 2010. Even in the most problematic configuration (Quad-SLI, got second 295 two months ago) i never saw any driver crashes.

I'm sorry, what? This is complete BS. Latest drivers are pretty good, last time i saw driver crash with arma was in early 2010. Even in the most problematic configuration (Quad-SLI, got second 295 two months ago) i never saw any driver crashes.

Yep. Except for occasional soft, flushable CTDs, I love my 295, as it kicks major ass with most recent NVIDIA driver, and next driver will be even better with fixes for TDR driver errors.

And I tested the repro mission: no crashes at all.

Edited by OMAC

It's an Ati HD4670 1Gb driver 12.1.

I tried drivers 11.01 and 10.6 same CTD.

At the start of the mission, all the ground is white for one second, the textures units are low, and 30 seconds later, after the receiving black screen -> CTD.

I did not have this problem with 1.59 patch.

I tried all the Mallocs, no luck.

A solution to test without Malloc ?

The issue you are experiencing does not seem to have any relation to malloc at all. You cannot run the game without malloc - something needs to be allocating the memory for you.

Ok, I tried every settings on very low I got the CTD.

Why CTD only on desertic environment, the game runs fine on normal environment.

Another question about memory, why in the cfg i have only nonlocalVRAM=123076608 (116Mb) since the first day ?

Thanks

Not saying it's not somewhat BS, but when I had GTX 280 SLI I had driver crashes VERY often. Upgraded to GTX 570 SLI and have not had one single driver crash with ArmA2/OA since.

In fairness, though, I never had a driver crash with any game other than ArmA2/OA with my GTX 280s, either.

MavericK96, yep, there was very often driver crashes only with arma in 2009 (and some in 2010), i remember that epic cup of rage. But then something changed (arma? drivers?), and crashes is gone.

Do you have any custom settings in your player profile? Eg ATOC=0 or personalised controller sensitivity settings? I had those and some other things (can't remember exactly, possibly some old malloc) and created a new player profile (Main Menu-Player Profile). Problem solved for me. Try that and see if it works.

nonlocalVRAM=123076608;

Can not reproduce this either, have got Nvidia GeForce 220 card.

I was able to reproduce the crash today, thanks to receiving a similar crash report from a game shutdown. What is needed for the crash to occur is the device reset needs to happen while some textures are still queued for background loading. This might happen when your disk is a bit slow or your game files heavily fragmented. The crash should be fixed in upcoming beta hopefully. (Note: you will still receive the loading screen caused by the internal device driver error, this is something we cannot do anything about, but the game should hopefully recover and run well after it).

Update: The fix should be available in 89604 (once that or newer version is published, which should be about 1 hour from now if everything goes well)

Edited by Suma

:yay: Thank you Suma !

i'll waiting the next beta-patchs.

Model ST3250824AS Serial ATA (SATA) 250GB 7.200 rpm

Defragmented through windows XP

Edited by EricFr

Great work.(Beta 89606)

No CTD and no Receiving black screen with my mission repro.