Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Community Nutritional Information

We've got some fresh info to share - how'd you like to see it presented?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. We've got some fresh info to share - how'd you like to see it presented?

• Dev Blogs
    • Report In
    • Community Q&As
    • Behind the Scenes
    • Other (please specify)

tiny_1.jpgtiny_2.jpgtiny_3.jpg

tiny_4.jpgtiny_5.jpgtiny_6.jpg

Hello, Community!

Original Post:

At this stage in the project, a lot of very important features are at a point where they're changing and improving (surviving and adapting?) almost every day. Although we're all keen to take on get things moving, and get as much information about our game out there as possible, we're currently in the midst of lining up our plans for 2012 - it's certainly going to be a big year!

Once we're set, you can expect much more information to leak out of development - similar to the kind of information, developer interactions & regular updates you may have found with Take On, plus much more besides. We've got our own list of splendid things that we'd like to share, and important milestones/events that we're keen to promote, but - our 'headline assets' aside - we're also curious to find out the kind of information you, the community, would be most interested in.

So, when we want to talk about our new lighting or some new gameplay feature, we'll more than likely present it in one of the following ways, which in turn means that we'll make some arbitrary choice. What we'd like to know is - how does one prefer to digest one's information?

• Dev Blogs - A more in depth look at a certain feature or part of development (example)
  • Report In - Our internal Q&A highlighting an interesting bit of tech (example)
  • Community Q&As - The chance to get some burning questions about a particular topic answered (example)
  • Behind the Scenes - A snapshot of the processes and day to day things we get up to (example)

The simple poll included with this thread gives a few options. We're lining up an even spread of content, but we'd be interested to know what your preferences are, which can feed back into our nefarious plans. Pick one, and it's more likely we'll use the more popular means of communication.

If you've got any other preferences - we're toying with the idea of podcasts, for example - have at it!

Best,

RiE

Ok, everyone, thanks for the feedback!

I think it's pretty clear how you'd like to see our splendid pieces of information distributed. We plan to kick things off soonâ„¢, with a short blog about our goals for 2012: how we'll plan to involve the community in our development, where we'll be showcasing our game, and what this all means for Project Splendid.

The recent news regarding the shift in our release date was a little rogue, so we'd like to Take control of the situation, and define things a little more clearly. Also, screenshots, yes.

Thanks again for your involvement and thoughts!

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
some examples

excitedhtk5d.jpg

I.... I... I have no idea :D

In this stage it would propably better to pack the stuff in "report in" and "behind the scenes" format as the things are changing a lot.

However once some features are at the stages where they stay and get polished, some more indepth "dev blogs" would be perfect.

So atm I would vote for "report in"

thanks a lot for this opportunity and yes indeed a large troll version would be splendid ;)

Edited by PurePassion

Don't suppose we can have high res versions of those 6 images could we?

Eventually®, yes.

Some of these images will form part of a future package of screenshots, so must remain as a taste of what's to come for now. :)

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Share-all-the-things.jpg

Report In for me. Or Dev Blog, but far from Lord Butcha, otherwise the devs may feel intimidated to speak ....wait for it... ALL THE THINGS!

Edited by Smurf

I say a monthtly podcast that has the same format as the report in's with developers from different departments would be nice. This should save you some time.

You could share photos and videos via micro dev blogs.

Organize a Q&A after the game turns gold and couple it with a behind the scene for the ultimate behind the scenes salad.

Were is the "all of it" button?

Dev Blogs give the player an insight on how things work, wich is very interesting.

Report in does basically the same.

Community Q&A is something fantastic

And everybody wnat to know whats going on behind the scenes because you see the Devs working on the game.

Everything is interesting!

P.S.: Those Screens are amazing!

PPS: High Res Please? Want Wallpaper!

picard.bmp

Glorious day!

EDIT: Posted that before I noticed there was no high res pictures. Can we have? Answered

To answer the question, though - I prefer the good old Dev Blogs method. I'd find that I like to hear the in-depth technical side of a feature. Why it was choosen, complications, the road ahead ... anything really. A good developer lies in its attention to details. That and pictures of course :)

Edited by colossus

Why not settle for a little bit of everything? Personally what I enjoy the most when following projects is consistency. As the ACE mod and the beta releases have so ably proven, this gives me something to come back to regularly-- even if I don't have time to play just now. Pick a date or day; then follow up with periodic updates along the lines you first set forth. Don't worry about pimping the reports either. This community understands you are busy actually working and not just messing about the forums.

I guess that puts me on the Report In/devblog side of the fence.

-k

so so... hidden pic http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tiny_trolling/tiny_7.jpg

other then that, awesome. Also I would probably like dev blogs, detailed information about stuff, I dont like QA, cause ppl ask stupid questions. Its better to let devs talk about what they want.

screens - BLOOM, its good they are tiny, otherwise my eyes would dry and fall out, nice detailed terrain textures (who knows with this res), giant radar thing on pic 3, obligatory red explosion-lit grass, nice

Some of these images will form part of a future package of screenshots, so must remain as a taste of what's to come for now. :)
PPS: High Res Please? Want Wallpaper!
And please, high res versions of those screens. They're amazing!

Anyone else?

Dev blogs and Community Q&As

I'm sure I'm not the only guy who wants to hear negative answers from BIS to the question of ArmA3 being dumbed down to sleep better at night

I picked Report In, but the choices are so 90's and txting wasn't an option. :p

:D I think that might have been covered in 'other'..? Just page me your ideas and I'll update our mySpace profile about it.

Anyone else?

and...

Plus, we've never been a fan of hi-res screenshots. :butbut:

Why not settle for a little bit of everything?

Yup, that's most certainly the plan, but it's always good to know what the most preferred options are :) for example, we might end up with 3 Report In's and only one Q&A, etc, etc.

Best,

RiE.

I still think you guys should do podcasts now and then. It's good to hear the voices behind the 0's and 1's

I really like the behind the scenes stuff. But If its updated regulary, Report In blogs will also be lovely. :)

I would like to see some developer diaries, like this video

... how you making Arma3, behind the scenes etc.

If not, then my vote goes to Community Q&As.

I voted "Behind the Scenes" as kind of a gut reaction, but now that I think about it, I prefer dev blogs. It should be much easier to get actual information across in that format.

I really liked the Report In posts about Take On Helicopters and would like to see something similar for Arma III