Sign in to follow this  
demowhc

Negative mouse acceleration

How can I disable it? if I move my mouse slowly it turns faster, and if I move it quicky it only moves a short distance..

I have turned dead zone to lowest and mouse smootheing off but the problem is still there.. I cant find any config options to disable mouse acceleration either.. help!

It's not negative acceleration - your characters turn speed is limited. No matter how fast you move the mouse, you can never turn faster than the max turn speed. This cannot be adjusted.

(Except perhaps with mods, but I don't know if such a mod exists.)

There may be a turn limit, but that doesnt explain why turning slowly makes it turn more distance.. If I turn fast, it should reach the turning limit and at least move the same distance as turning slowly...

This is really awful, making the game almost unplayable.

That simply cannot work, unless you want the character to keep turning even when you stop moving the mouse.

I don't know the actual turn speed limitation, or your mouse settings for that matter, but let's say you need to move the mouse 2 inches in order to turn 360°, and the character can only turn 360° per second. That means if you move the mouse exactly 2 inches per second to the right, your character will turn at maximum speed. Now if you move the mouse twice as fast - let's say 2 inches in just half a second - your character will only turn 180° because he can only turn 360° per second, but you only moved the mouse for half a second.

It's simple, and has nothing to do with "acceleration". You'll either need to learn to live with it, or find someone to make you a mod that removes the turn speed limit.

I turned the mouse speed up much faster than I would normally use it and it seems to have helped.

Poor design decision imo otherwise detracting from an excellent game.

well just for sure You tried alter the render frames ahead value in the game arma2oa.cfg ?

set it e.g. as

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

usually 3 is driver default, 0 uses driver value too

Yep I did that dwarden, but the game was not as smooth with Tri-SLI, its ok I have turned up the mouse speed and adjusted to it now.

One issue that may or may not be related that I've noticed is that Y-axis mouse movement has this weird "lag" as opposed to X-axis movement. Like your cursor/weapon will lag behind your camera view when moving up and down. Not game-breaking but kind of odd.

I have mouse smoothing/deadzone set to zero so it is not an issue there.

You'll notice that the vertical (Y axis) movement is apparentl affected by weapon dexterity (ie, weight).

Larger weapons lag more.

-k

Yeah, that's the weapon weight simulation. I personally wouldn't mind seeing that "lag" on the X-axis too (depending on weapon weight of course), so that light weapons become noticably easier to handle in CQB situations. But that's just me. :D

Then you haven't thought it through. Affecting the mouse, an analogue and very accurate input device, with arbitrary changes-- that end up feeling just like lagg or inaccuracy isn't the way to do it. Mouse movement should be direct, accurate, and consistent. Its not that I'm opposed to weapon weight/size/handling affecting your ability to look move and fight however! There are just many more better ways of handling this:

- Expanding/retracting so called 'blooming' reticules (eg, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) are very intuitive and something of an industry standard.

- Operation Flashpoints weapons which trailed behind your otherwise absolute point of aim. Again very intuitive and while not 100% realistic-- made for a very fair understanding that heavy weapons are.. well. heavy.

- Some clever designers are bound to come up with alternatives.

For Arma2+ I wish they would revert to Operation Flashpoints trailing 'point of aim'.

-k

- Operation Flashpoints weapons which trailed behind your otherwise absolute point of aim. Again very intuitive and while not 100% realistic-- made for a very fair understanding that heavy weapons are.. well. heavy.

This is what I was talking about.

Ahh, okay. I figured it might be some sort of feature. Makes sense for raising the weapon up since you're fighting gravity, but you would think moving down would be much faster... :) Then again, that would probably make for a very strange-feeling game mechanic. I wouldn't mind a bit of the lag on the X-axis, too...then at least it would feel somewhat even.