Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89223 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[89205] New: Player can look up/down using a mouse while driving land/water vehicles.

[89201] New: SMAA introduced, use PPAA=3, PPAALevel=0..3 in Arma2OA.cfg.

i updated the documentation to reflect changes in Post Process Anti-Aliasing

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg#ARMA_2:_Operation_Arrowhead

all changes, FXAA has now only 4 levels of quality, FXAA sharpen is either OFF or ON (with default level of 0.15 hard-coded)

we use SMAA version 2.7, it's native implementation of the source into engine, no injection tricks at all

SMAA and FXAA quality levels are equal to what is used in theirs sources / documentations

SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE is automatically used by engine from active 3D resolution settings (so if You use 200% it uses that resolution correctly)

[font=Courier New][color=#0000bb]PPAA[/color][color=#007700]=[/color][color=#0000bb]0[/color][color=#007700];     [/color][color=#0000bb]setting not [/color][color=#007700]([/color][color=#0000bb]yet[/color][color=#007700]) [/color][color=#0000bb]available in UI[/color][color=#007700]. Default [/color][color=#0000bb]is Disabled[/color][color=#007700]. [/color][color=#0000bb]Enables Anti[/color][color=#007700]-[/color][color=#0000bb]Aliasing technique via post processing[/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#007700]: 

[/color][color=#0000bb]1 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]FXAA [/color][color=#007700][[/color][color=#0000bb]3[/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#007700]]
[/color][color=#0000bb]2 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]FXAA [/color][color=#007700]+ [/color][color=#0000bb]sharp filter [/color][color=#007700][[/color][color=#0000bb]4[/color][color=#007700]] ([/color][color=#0000bb]hard[/color][color=#007700]-[/color][color=#0000bb]coded strength of sharpen is now 0.15[/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#007700])
[/color][color=#0000bb]3 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]SMAA [/color][color=#007700][[/color][color=#0000bb]5[/color][/font][color=#007700][font=Courier New]]
[/font][/color][font=Courier New][color=#0000bb]WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223

PPAA_Level[/color][color=#007700]=[/color][color=#0000bb]0[/color][color=#007700];     [/color][color=#0000bb]setting not [/color][color=#007700]([/color][color=#0000bb]yet[/color][color=#007700]) [/color][color=#0000bb]available in UI[/color][color=#007700]. Default [/color][color=#0000bb]is Disabled[/color][color=#007700]. [/color][color=#0000bb]Values determine [/color][color=#007700]for [/color][color=#0000bb]each respective PPAA type used[/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#007700]:

[/color][color=#0000bb]0 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]SMAA_PRESET_LOW [/color][color=#007700]or [/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#0000bb]FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_12 
1 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM [/color][color=#007700]or [/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#0000bb]FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_22
2 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]SMAA_PRESET_HIGH [/color][color=#007700]or  [/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=#0000bb]FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_26
3 [/color][color=#007700]- [/color][color=#0000bb]SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA [/color][color=#007700]or [/color][/font][color=#0000bb][font=Courier New]FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_39
WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223 [/font][/color]

there are also two new readme in same directory where is binary (\expansion\beta\ for beta builds and \ for full patch in future)

readme_fxaa.txt

readme_smaa.txt

where You can read the instructions , plus legal notices, thanks and other stuff

Edited by Dwarden

Awesome stuff thnax.

So have you guys used both FXAA and SMAA together?

Duh i should read the "read me" before i post!, Thnax for the read me !!

Edited by kklownboy

Will ever have an option at the games menu to change SMAA\FXAA\AToC ?

Here it comes. Now it's Object Draw Distance slider's turn ;)

Btw what does PPAA=1 and 2 do?

Edited by metalcraze

Lol, one day after i announced my SMAA Injection Project ...

Witch SMAA Injection did you use BIS ?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Here it comes. Now it's Object Draw Distance slider's turn ;)

Btw what does PPAA=1 and 2 do?

Should be the "strength" of the SMAA like something normaly used :

SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05
SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 32
SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16
SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 25

the threshold etc define the "strengh" of the AA effect and at witch pixel it kick in and witch not... little bit complicated but nothing special

so PPAA 1 : low PPAA 3 : strong :cool:

i updated the documentation to reflect changes in Post Process Anti-Aliasing

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg#ARMA_2:_Operation_Arrowhead

all changes, FXAA has now only 4 levels of quality, FXAA sharpen is either OFF or ON (with default level of 0.15 hard-coded)

we use SMAA version 2.7, it's native implementation of the source into engine, no injection tricks at all

SMAA and FXAA quality levels are equal to what is used in theirs sources / documentations

SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE is automatically used by engine from active 3D resolution settings (so if You use 200% it uses that resolution correctly)

there are also two new readme in same directory where is binary (\expansion\beta\ for beta builds and \ for full patch in future)

readme_fxaa.txt

readme_smaa.txt

where You can read the instructions , plus legal notices, thanks and other stuff

Edited by Dwarden

THX for the details Dwarden !

nice to have SMAA in the source now ... made my Injection Project useless :(

but who cares :cool:

THX for the details Dwarden !

nice to have SMAA in the source now ... made my Injection Project useless :(

but who cares :cool:

Believe me, as someone who worked with injection stuff (jlib) its much nicer to let them handle it after almost 2 years of patching....

Not very familiar with the technical side of FSAA, FXAA and SMAA. So, would we need to removed the FXAA out of the ArmAOA.cfg to use SMAA or does it automatically disable that feature under PPAA=3;? And should the FSAA be enabled to make SMAA working, as I think it did with FXAA?

I feel like this at the moment

duu.. :smiley-blunder:

;)

You don't need to enable hw anti-aliasing at all. You can delete FXAA= and FXAASharpen=.

SMAA alone doesn't really do it for me, even on maximum. The edges on large objects look wonderfully smooth, but lots of finer details still cause a kind of flickering artifact that isn't present with FSAA on very high.

I now use FSAA+SMAA for best results. :D

You don't need to enable hw anti-aliasing at all. You can delete FXAA= and FXAASharpen=.
How do set your sharpness for FXAA if you dont have "FXAASharpen="?

Dang i got ninja'd again... so its only .15... I will go back to a older beta for better IQ, though i do like the new driving stuff. SMAA isnt better than FXAA at veryhigh IQ , it is a nice performance fillter. Also if your GPU has enough mussel you can use Adaptive or Super-Sample AA from your HW control panel.

I now use FSAA+SMAA for best results. :D

how? Edited by kklownboy

wat is that ??

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

PPAA=0;	 setting not (yet) available in UI. Default is Disabled. Enables Anti-Aliasing technique via post processing: 

1 - FXAA [3]
2 - FXAA + sharp filter [4] (hard-coded strength of sharpen is now 0.15)
3 - SMAA [5]
WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223

PPAA_Level=0;	 setting not (yet) available in UI. Default is Disabled. Values determine for each respective PPAA type used:

0 - SMAA_PRESET_LOW or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_12 
1 - SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_22
2 - SMAA_PRESET_HIGH or  FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_26
3 - SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_39
WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223

How do set your sharpness for FXAA if you dont have "FXAASharpen="?

Dang i got ninja'd again... so its only .15... I will go back to a older beta for better IQ, though i do like the new driving stuff. SMAA isnt better than FXAA at veryhigh IQ , it is a nice performance fillter. Also if your GPU has enough mussel you can use Adaptive or Super-Sample AA from your HW control panel.

how?

SMAA is way superiod to FXAA in quality (at any quality level) it uses multiple and more complex techniques (read the documentation on SMAA including compare samples)

FXAA is faster and consumes less memory

[89205] New: Player can look up/down using a mouse while driving land/water vehicles.

I am personally not very happy with this. I think this worked better without in yesterday's build. If I want to look around I toggle freelook and steer with keyboard.

I found myself accidently looking up or down quite a lot while steering with mouse.

Maybe capping the max look angles a lot or reducing look speed could help to make it less annoying?

Edited by Dwarden
formatting

I will test this tomorrow, this sounds great!

Couldn´t wait, tested already. Beeing able to look up or down is not a bad idea, it helps in some vehicels but I often find myself moving the camera accidentaly. A bigger Deadzone would solve the problem.

I was so exited because I thought that you implemented this: :rolleyes:

Humble suggestion for a more intuitive system:

Drive where you look:

You can look around like in Freelook mode but the more you look to the side, the more the car will steer towards that point.

The car will always try to drive towards the point you look at.

If you enable Freelook with ALT the you can look around the car without steering.

It can´t get more intuitive and user friendly than that, and it helps situational awareness.

Any chance to get a beta with disabled auto centering for testing purposes?

Will test SMAA tomorrow. Next stop Object View distance slider? ;)

Will test SMAA tomorrow. Next stop Object View distance slider? ;)

i'm sure that one isn't just Your wish and alongside with shadow viewdistance :) but no promise ...

I have free look assigned to my thumb mouse button so looking all directions has always been there. Will be fun to test though. Hopefully old "slower at center steering" is back.

EDIT: I accidentally move the mouse up and down at times and that made me go outside the road and crash into a wall lol. When i use free look to look around i take over with jeyboard and its a cross-playing that has worked great over the years.

Slower steering at center for land vehicles not reintroduced and it makes the steering very erratic. Only solution is to turn down mouse sensitivity but then its too slow for soldiering.

About the auto-centering the steering, couldnt you let it take longer time before it auto-centers? Let the steering be where our mouse is and kick in auto-centering a few seconds later instead of instantly like now. There arent many very long corners so if it was maybe 2-3 seconds before auto-centering we could go through longer corners nicely without having to move the mouse sideways back and forth a bunch of times.

EDIT2: Maybe enable/disable options for the look around? I find the vehicle driving very hard now tbh. Very sensitive and all over the place both camera and driving wise.

EDIT3: Come to think of it Live For Speed have 2 things that makes that race sim so good for mouse and keyboard, and that is no auto centering and heavier center steering. ARMA2 has both of them normally except a little auto centering (pre these new betas), and thats what made ARMA such a great vehicle game. With heavy center steering you can make fine maneuvers both at slow and more importantly high speed. As it is now you have the same sensitivity through the whole steering range which makes it erratic when you need faster but fine maneuvers. So i dont really like the experiment of removing two of the greatest aspects of ARMA driving (it is in fact better than most car games).

Edited by Alex72

Maybe it's just me, but I get some pretty bad stutter with SMAA on full blast, and TBH it doesn't even look that much better than no FXAA/SMAA at all. Several edges are still pretty jagged.

So let's see if I got it right...FXAA and FXAASharp entries in a2 cfg file can be deleted since they have been replaced by SMAA and PPAA entries?