Sign in to follow this  
ADuke

Sat map shows in Buldozer always and "Export World greyed out

Hi, I recently started making a map and have 2 problems, I have been following this tutorial.

I am at the step after I made my sat map and layer mask.

After making my sat map, when I view my world in Buldozer, the ground is painted with an image of the sat map.

I have heard that the sat map is supposed to display on the ground at long distances, but I can zoom right in on the ground and it is still covering the ground.

Also, when I get to the point in the tutorial where I export my world, the "Export World" option under Project is greyed-out and I am not sure why.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I can provide more information if need be. :)

Thanks,

-AD

Hi

I have heard that the sat map is supposed to display on the ground at long distances, but I can zoom right in on the ground and it is still covering the ground

This could be your bulldozer.cfg settings have a look they are on Pdrive if you use the paramter in startup from visitor

Also, when I get to the point in the tutorial where I export my world, the "Export World" option under Project is greyed-out and I am not sure why.

you can only export whilst bulldozer is also showing the map

hope it helps

Thanks a lot Thromp, your suggestion about the Exporting helped a lot, unfortunately though......

I edited my buldozer.cfg to mimic my arma2OA.cfg but the satmap on the ground problem is still happening :confused::(

Edited by ADuke

I have heard that the sat map is supposed to display on the ground at long distances, but I can zoom right in on the ground and it is still covering the ground.

In buldozer you should see the overall sat layer "draped" over the whole terrain, but as you zoom very close you should see the ground texture(s) you defined in the "Layers.cfg" file you used during the Sat & Mask import process...

Perhaps a screenshot might help us identify precisely what your problem is....?

B

OK, here is a screenshot...

buldozer.jpg

As you can see, I am zoomed in real close to that building and still the red building marker on my satmap shows up on the ground.

aaaah!

Now I know what you mean!

Even at very close range, the Sat layer will "tint" the closeup ground textures a little... That can be a good thing as it helps the ground texture overall colour to blend more nicely with the overall sat layer view... The closer you zoom in, the less apparent that "tint" will be...

In your picture, however - you have an extreme example! That looks like a bright red spot on your actual Sat_lco image...

Looking at Mondkalb's tutorial I'm guessing you've managed to export buildings positions as an image from Visitor, so you have a layer with red blocks where buildings are - just like it looks in Visitor, and you've successfully overlaid that on your basic Satellite layer image... If that's the case, then well done, by the way! That's a tricky part which a lot of people have trouble with!

Does your Sat_lco layer look like this?

If course you wouldn't want to leave things that way... the next step suggested by Mondkalb is to "exercise your Photoshop skills" and turn it into this!

You can see from this before and after pair of pictures how he's added in extra detail and "fussiness" on the grassy sections, plus the bright red block (runway objects?) has been shaded a nice gravelly grey colour - to match the intended closeup ground texture more closely....

Looks like your next step should be a little experimentation with your preferred art package - have a try at adding a little convincing detail and shading those buildings positions to a more appropriate colour...

Good luck!

B

OK thanks, I will have to desaturate my building markers for the time being, the only difference from the tutorial in my sat image is that I used an exported normal map (from LD3T) to add "wrinkles" to my sat image.

I will have to play with the sat image later on, been defining artificial objects and natural objects for 2 days now. :eek:

Thaks a lot for your help, glad nothing is wrong with buldozer! :)

-AD

been defining artificial objects and natural objects for 2 days now.

There's a "Visitor Objects Template" .pew file in the Resources & Tutorials section of my little website...

Import that into your project to automatically add (most) of the Arma 2 & OA Natural & Artificial objects to your lists...

... that might save you a bit of time ;)

B

Wow man, I used it, it worked perfectly! :)

Thanks, that did in fact save me a lot of time.

Good on you for providing that to the community!

Back to smoothing my terrain.....

-AD

There's a "Visitor Objects Template" .pew file in the Resources & Tutorials section of my little website...

Darn you Bush, that was my idea I'm sure and I was half finished !! ;)

NM, got it now with half the work lol.

Thanks!