Sign in to follow this  
engima

Escape Chernarus (Mission Release)

Escape Chernarus v1.8

by Engima

(Download at Armaholic)

Description

Finally! It has taken me almost two years of editing, and I am very proud to present my latest multiplayer COOP mission Escape Chernarus!

You are a USMC special force held captive in Chernarus some time before the US invasion. Your objective is to somehow contact your allies and rendezvous with a rescue force. Find your way through the living environment of enemy hunters directed by an intelligent search leader, enemy forces, civilians, traffic, animals, ambient events and surprises. Mission is 100% dynamic and uses the entire map. Play it 100 times, two games will not be the same!

Features

• Co-op 08 Revive (recommended for 2-8 players).
  • Uses entire map.
  • Dynamic and living environment.
  • True random start position. Game develops differently every time, inferring great replayability.
  • Options for enemy skill, enemy frequency, weather, time of day and grass settings.
  • Supports hosted and dedicated server (and is JIP compatible).

A Little Hint For a Better Game

Escape Chernarus is best played at difficulty level Veteran or Expert (since the mission's story is based on the idea that you are lost).

Installation

Put the .pbo-file in your MPMissions folder in the ArmA2 game folder.

Change log:

v1.8

• Reduced enemy armor on all difficulty levels.
  • Reduced amount of weapons at ammo depots.
  • Increased amount of possible weapon types at ammo depots.
  • Weapons may show up in civilian cars.
  • Road blocks are more passive.
  • Fixed: Paradrops do not fall free and crash onto the ground anymore.

v1.72

• Fixed bug: Server lagging.
  • Reduced time it takes to hijack a communication center.

v1.7

• Fixed the start bug (player do not wake up dead anymore)
  • Increased the time it takes to hijack a communication center, and FAC Operators do it faster than the others.
  • Added field hospital at communication centers.
  • Added things that you don't want me to tell you about.
  • Fixed bug that made enemies surrender.
  • Fixed bug that made player's vehicles suddenly disappear.
  • Made it much easier to port to another map.
  • A lot of fixes and improvements (for complete list, see ReadMe.txt in installation pack).

v1.5

• Changed player units to Razor Team.
  • Communication centers now appear randomly.
  • Added things that you don't want me to tell you about.
  • Removed debug information that was left accidently.
  • A lot of fixes and improvements.

v1.1

• Fixed bug at mission start (players could start mission dead etcetera).
  • Fixed bug regarding parameter "Enemy frequency". Enemy armor is now also in relation to this option.
  • Made the insurgents invest in night vision goggles.
  • Removed the parameter "Number of revives" (since "Unlimited" is the only option relevant for this mission).

v1.0

• First version

Credits & Thanks

• Co-op 08 Revive (recommended for 2-8 players).
  • Norrin for Revive!
  • Monsada, Rafalski & Kronzky for UPSMON!
  • Tophe, Milton, Tobias, Alex, Robbi (of Östgöta Ops) for beta testing!
  • Tophe an extra time for composing music for the trailer!
  • Neil MacMullen for his wonderful Squint (the editor)!
  • BIS Forum members for help during scripting headaches!
  • Bohemia for a fantastic game!

Requirements

ArmA 2 Combined Operations

Known ports to other maps

Escape Takistan, by Scruffy (Included in package Escape Podagorsk)

Escape Podagorsk, by Scruffy (Package also includes Escape Takistan)

Escape Trinity, by Dystopian1

Looks good!

I'll try it out next time I get to play with some friends.

Thanks for this mission! Can the revive set to zero? Is the mission playable without revives enabled?

sounds interesting, we will try this asap

is the mission playable on selfhosted game?

It is. Might be a bit heavy if your machine is weak, but it should be no problem to most PC's.

This sounds awesome!

I know, I might be a bit biased... but this is honestly one of the best missions I've ever played since the dawn of Flashpoint.

Thanks for this mission! Can the revive set to zero? Is the mission playable without revives enabled?

I can confirm the first bug here. The option "No revive" kind of works, but instead you respawn to void. In Östgöta Ops we never play with revive disabled so it passed unnoticed. I'll try to correct it until next version. Personally I think the mission is unplayable without revives, so maybe I just disable the option. Would you think of that as a bad idea?

Edited by Engima

I can confirm the first bug here. The option "No revive" kind of works, but instead you respawn to void. In Östgöta Ops we never play with revive disabled so it passed unnoticed. I'll try to correct it until next version. Personally I think the mission is unplayable without revives, so maybe I just disable the option. Would you think of that as a bad idea?

We on the CiA coop server don't play respawnvive missions. Revive function is ok as long as you can set it to zero.

Seems like your mission has such a large scope so there is no valid chance to live through it in one "soul". If that's the case then maybe you are indeed better of without the "no revive" option.

Heyho,

one of the best missions I played for a long time! (I am just missing a campfire and a tent^^).

Scruffy and me played yesterday 4 hours on our dedicated server.

Approx 24-49 (Server)-FPS on i7-920,8 GB Ram.

We also experienced bug:

• Sometimes the second slot got killed from the guards before the black-screen at mission start fades out (every second or third start).
  • Sometimes we started outside the prisons and got shot immediately.
  • Sometimes we spawn in between armored patrol on an open field (its nearly impossible to escape).

And here is some feedback:

• We played at 17:00 o'clock (ingame) and we got the problem that no enemy is using nvgoogles. It would be great to see some speznaz searching for you, so that you can acquire their night visions.
  • Param "Enemy - Few(1-2 Player)" seems still to heavy for 2 players. The amount of infantry and choppers is ok (maybe a little bit too low) but the amount of armored vehicles is far too heavy. Even if you got a weapon depot and some rocket launchers, shilka + brdm + t72 + x infantrysquads in one spot is to heavy to ambush. It would be great to split the amount if infantry and armored vehicles in mission params, so you can set each separately.
  • A CO/OA version would be great. Backpacks would make this mission even better!

Are we allowed to edit/port your mission? I can't find info about this in your readme.

This mission will be great on Duala/ToraBora/Takistan/...

NeoArmageddon

I'm glad you liked the mission, and thanks for your feedback! Some of it I can explain, and some of it I can fix.

Response to bugs:

• About mission start: I know what you mean, and this is a problem that I have not really managed to solve. As I wrote in the ReadMe.txt, my suggestion is that you start mission in a "clean" way. Start server, log in as admin (if on dedicated), players connect, players green up, admin continue. Also, do not restart mission on server, instead restart server. In that way it always works for me. I'm sorry about this! I hope to fix it soon, and if anyone knows how to fix this, please PM me. I think it has something to do with Norrin's Revive script.
  • About start positions: Since the start position is true random, it will naturally offer different levels of difficulty. Hint is, use your patience and wait for a good moment. Armored patrols and traffic move over the whole map, so you can wait them out. Close to a city is also a greater challenge, but at the same time the escape moment is something that you can become better at. During development I've done it many many times on my own, and almost succeeds every time. Try to figure out how I do it! :cool:

Response to feedback:

• During beta testing we have not played it during nighttime. I can very well imagine that there are some stuff that need to be tweaked (like night visions). I'll see what I can do!
  • Param "Enemy - Few" primarily lower the amount of AI soldiers in a group, and it also affects the ambient military traffic a little. A gameplay hint is to use "run and hide" tactics. Most armors is just ambient traffic, and they will not know about you until they actually see you. I want to prohibit players from just stealing a car and run away from enemies too easily. And again, traffic is random, so sometimes you end up in situations with much armor. When attacking a communication center on the other hand, I understand what you mean. The option "Enemy - Few" does not affect comcenters defences as it of course should do. Expect a fix for that!
  • Regarding backpacks I have not thought about it. Thanks for the idea, I'll see what I can do about it!

Response to edit/port mission:

Please do! It should be quite easy to port since I've had that in mind all the time during development. I have plans to port it to Takistan myself. PM me if you need details about it! I'd be glad if you then reference me in some way. Engima (with G and I in opposite order :)).

Edited by Engima

Enigma: any chance that you could include an pre-mission parameter that allows for players to select BAF troops? Cue "The Great Escape" music

Engima (with G and I in opposite order :)).

Now that you said it, I see it too. :D :D

(sry for OT)

About mission start: I know what you mean, and this is a problem that I have not really managed to solve. As I wrote in the ReadMe.txt, my suggestion is that you start mission in a "clean" way.

Yes, I read the readme and I was aware of this. We tried all possible ways of "restarting". The corpsman got shot every 2-3 restart in every possible restart compination (server restart, all green up, no green up, etc).

Looks like

player setCaptive true;

is not called correct or in time. Or maybe your "leaving the prison/taking weapon"-trigger is sometimes broken.

On Shacktack HUD you can see some relative unit movements during initialisation... maybe have a look into this too.

About start positions: Since the start position is true random, it will naturally offer different levels of difficulty. Hint is, use your patience and wait for a good moment.

I know that its totally random and therefore variable in its difficulty, but its quite useless to wait for a good moment, when you are surrounded by 5 squads and some armor, who are aware of you! its impossible for two players (tank driving down prison fence, infantry squads at higher position can shoot into prison, etc) to survive just 2 min. Maybe you should check the spawns of units near prison at gamestart and limit the squads in this area (guards + 2-3 groups are okay for 2 player).

Param "Enemy - Few" primarily lower the amount of AI soldiers in a group, and it also affects the ambient military traffic a little. A gameplay hint is to use "run and hide" tactics. Most armors is just ambient traffic, and they will not know about you until they actually see you. I want to prohibit players from just stealing a car and run away from enemies too easily. And again, traffic is random, so sometimes you end up in situations with much armor. When attacking a communication center on the other hand, I understand what you mean.

Yes, I was just talking about com centers... ATM much to heavy for 2 players. My assumption was, that comcenter defense was influenced by "Enemy - Few". The amount of armored patrols is okay in comparison with infantry groups.

The option "Enemy - Few" does not affect comcenters defences as it of course should do. Expect a fix for that!

Great.

Can you shorten the intro/blackout sequence? Its very annoying if you have to wait 12 seconds after each restart (specially if you had to restart because of the mentioned bug).

P.S. I just had a look into your script and I like your scripting style (cause I write SQF much like you^^).

Great work Engima, a very fun mission. :thumbs-up:

As Neo already said the random starts can get a bit tedious, with the long black screens and random deaths. But I guess the funniest thing that happened yesterday was when a patrol entered the prison just before the guard died and snatched all his AK ammo before we could get our hands on it :icon_mrgreen:

The nighttime fighting was tense, no need to let NVGs turn up everywhere. A different season (or option to change it) where it takes longer to get fully dark or full moon, you can already choose better weather for a cloudless sky, the GP-25 flares already available and maybe some weapons with flashlights could be fun. Maybe just some NVGs at the depots and communication centers. It adds more urgency to get going when it's slowly getting darker and you can't see anything.

We'll play again today and report back.

Heyho,

one of the best missions I played for a long time! (I am just missing a campfire and a tent^^).

Scruffy and me played yesterday 4 hours on our dedicated server.

Approx 24-49 (Server)-FPS on i7-920,8 GB Ram.

We also experienced bug:

• Sometimes the second slot got killed from the guards before the black-screen at mission start fades out (every second or third start).
  • Sometimes we started outside the prisons and got shot immediately.
  • Sometimes we spawn in between armored patrol on an open field (its nearly impossible to escape).

And here is some feedback:

• We played at 17:00 o'clock (ingame) and we got the problem that no enemy is using nvgoogles. It would be great to see some speznaz searching for you, so that you can acquire their night visions.
  • Param "Enemy - Few(1-2 Player)" seems still to heavy for 2 players. The amount of infantry and choppers is ok (maybe a little bit too low) but the amount of armored vehicles is far too heavy. Even if you got a weapon depot and some rocket launchers, shilka + brdm + t72 + x infantrysquads in one spot is to heavy to ambush. It would be great to split the amount if infantry and armored vehicles in mission params, so you can set each separately.
  • A CO/OA version would be great. Backpacks would make this mission even better!

Are we allowed to edit/port your mission? I can't find info about this in your readme.

This mission will be great on Duala/ToraBora/Takistan/...

• Mission start failure: Fixed!
  • Start outside prison: Fixed!
  • Spawn in between armored patrols - impossible to escape: Fixed! (still random though, so you can find yourself in difficult places)
  • Enemy night vision goggles: Fixed!
  • Enemy - Few/Medium/A lot at communication centers and general: Fixed!

Thanks again NeoArmageddon for your feedback! It was relevant. I hope things work better now (especially that embarrasing start bug). The update is in the validation queue at Armaholic.com and hopefully up within hours!

Sounds great. We will test your mission ASAP.

By the way: You can always send your mission directly to me and I will host a mirror until Armaholic updates your mission.

P.S. Your mission prevents me from learning for my exams :yay:

I can safely say that this mission is kick ASS! The bugs or issues weve ran into have all been posted here. We've been playing this mission all week. Id love to see more built like this i.e. the living world and such.

Brilliant mission!

It took me and 5 others 3hrs(ish) on expert and medium. If only one of us had recorded it... :-/

Definitely one of the best missions i have played in a while, thanks!

Scruffy took some videos yesterday (Scruffy will post em soon). Some of them are very funny:

Escaping prison, get in a bus (in cargo), let the civilian drive, run into a enemy group, didn't get noticed by AI because civilian vehicle, driver decided to get out of bus, shoot by enemy patrol... we loled^^

I think we will soon come up with some ideas to make the mission even 20% cooler!

Do you think you could make this a framework. I figured we could just start the same way as always without trying to do the mission itself and only killing things. But a basic framework with no missions to do would be awesome. Used in conjunction with mcc this could be perfect for many types of training.

edit: Almost forgot, when we got to the pickup point nothing happened. We waited for about 10 minutes in and around the area.

Edited by Sleep

Great mission - I've only been playing it for a day or two and I've had a lot of fun.

Only one issue so far: One time I took an empty civilian truck and turned a corner in a village and ran over a couple of enemy infantry. The other three or four enemy infantry there just stood or walked around and didn't open up on me while I was in the truck. Decided to try my luck so I ran over about three more. Still no response. A UAZ with a GL turned up and I rammed it into a building three times with the truck (without them firing at me in the truck) until it caught fire and then the two crew bailed out and died.

Looks like they consider the truck still to be neutral and ignored the fact I was driving it.

Cheers,

Dreadnought1

Looks like they consider the truck still to be neutral and ignored the fact I was driving it.

Its not a bug in the mission. AI behaves like this since some betapatches before. They will recognize you as enemy, when you open fire at them (but your truck can't shoot^^). Running somebody over is not counted as "kill", so they don't response. Have you tried disembarking? You will be shot in under 2 seconds.

Running somebody over is not counted as "kill", so they don't response.

Here's the beginning of the script I made (thanks to Titi and Yourri), launched by an Mp eventhandler "MPkilled" to give penalties for civilian casualties:

_civ = _this select 0;
_killer = _this select 1;

if (_killer == _civ) then {
_car = getPos _civ nearestObject "LandVehicle"; 
_driver = driver _car;
if (side _driver == resistance) then {
	_killer = _driver; 
	};
} else {
	if not( _killer isKindOf "MAN") then {
		_killer = gunner _killer;
		};
	};

Just change the side to west.

May be this can help you making west units turn to ennemy if they drive a car and kill an east unit.

We played the mission this afternoon and had great fun and... stress!

Very good one, we fullfilled the 8 slots with team mates; perhaps adding a dozen one may be cool (with a larger prison, of course!)

Another thing: I had several CTD while playing (as usual, I don't think it's because of the mission), and it was a pain in the ass (I don't know how to say it in english!) to join the mission again with no weapon...

Edited by fleepee

_civ = _this select 0;

if (_killer == _civ) then {
_car = getPos _civ nearestObject "LandVehicle"; 
      if((_civ distance _car)<=(speed _car))
      {
         _killer = driver _car;
        {(_x) reveal [_killer,1.5];} forEach allGroups; //Change this to near enemys
       }

};

This should work better.

It checks if the nearest car is in the distance to be the killer (car distance to person should be less than speed*1s).

If killer is found, reveal tells everybody the side of the killer, so enemy should notice than the cardriver is an enemy.

If killedEH returns a killer that differes from _civ, we don't need to do anything (ArmA will do the dirty work of reavealing info of the killer).

P.S. Script is not tested