Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89096 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

as promised by SUMA additional improvements for new/improved vehicle controls

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[89086] Experimental: A different way to handle mouse steering is implemented for cars, tanks, boats and bikes.

[89079] Fixed: Multiple reload sounds in mp (see https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28201)

btw. not yet supported by BE

Hey Dwarden! Have you catched the new Z-Fightning issues or do you need a repro with screens or something on CIT?

Edit: Testing in progress....

Cheers

CriminalMinds

Hi Dwarden, I'm stil aiting for a fix for the not working missile warning in various aircraft (see CIT tickets in signature)...or is this not fixable in a beta?

Nice, new beta. :)

Gonna check if cars get the gamepad/joystick problem now like it had with boats in prev. beta.

Also, while on the sounds - the BAF tank that has been missing impact sound for HE maybe can be adressed?

Thanks BIS!

Hey Dwarden! Have you catched the new Z-Fightning issues or do you need a repro with screens or something on CIT?

Edit: Testing in progress....

Cheers

CriminalMinds

I said in a previous thread that I had the issue, but couldn't repro it. I figured out how to do it. This is in the previous beta (not this one but 89025 or whatever):

Basically it seems to be a time-based issue. In my test mission in Cherno, I spawned as an M107 sniper on a mountain peak just over 1200m or so away from Chernogorsk, facing it. I zoom in with the scope towards Cherno, and there is little to no Z-fighting. Then I turn my attention to some enemy units I placed, not in Cherno but about 700m from my spawn position (originally this was a basic sniper test mission for me to get better with sniping). I shoot at them for awhile, end up killing them all (takes a minute or two), and then turn my attention back to Chernogorsk. This time there is HEAVY Z-fighting on all buildings there. I tried to capture a screenshot but since it's more of a flickering it didn't really work. I could try to FRAPs it possibly, but in any case it is definitely there.

Nice, new beta. :)

Gonna check if cars get the gamepad/joystick problem now like it had with boats in prev. beta.

Also, while on the sounds - the BAF tank that has been missing impact sound for HE maybe can be adressed?

Thanks BIS!

got CIT ticket? if not please create and link

With the DS in this build I get some DLL dependency errors, is that by design, i.e should I install the MS VC DLL's?

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SideBySide

Event Category: None

Event ID: 59

Date: 2012-02-06

Time: 20:09:56

User: N/A

Computer: TOSH-A100

Description:

Generate Activation Context failed for D:\Games\ArmA II\Expansion\Beta\dll\tbb3malloc_bi.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SideBySide

Event Category: None

Event ID: 59

Date: 2012-02-06

Time: 20:09:56

User: N/A

Computer: TOSH-A100

Description:

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

and so on...

RPT-file

=====================================================================

== D:\Games\ArmA II\Expansion\Beta\arma2oaserver.exe

== "D:\Games\ArmA II\Expansion\Beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -config=Users\Server\Server_Settings.cfg -cfg=Users\Server\Server_Network.cfg -name=Server -profiles=d:\games\ARMAII~1\ -port=3302

=====================================================================

Exe timestamp: 2012/02/06 18:12:29

Current time: 2012/02/06 20:10:22

Version 1.60.89098

Rolling back the DS to build 88982 and the errors are gone...

/KC

got CIT ticket? if not please create and link

Did not have a ticket. However the problem is not there anymore in this beta. Boats behave as they should when using gamepad.

I like the new steering. Works well.

EDIT: After some more testing im not sure i like the auto centering that happens when you steer. Tested to drive around with a tank and when i move the mouse to follow a corner it tries to auto center which makes it a bit erratic. Would be nicer if the "steeringwheel" stayed at the position you leave it at. Just my opinion anyway.

Edited by Alex72

I really like all of the new steering changes. Brilliant! Driving has never been so fluid and fun. I tested motorcycle, Abrams, Stryker, Hummer, and boat. How the caret slowly disappears is perfect also. Keyboard input now overrides the mouse input as it should, even for boats. This feels like ArmA III.

Edited by OMAC

Like this new mouse steering very much. It allows much faster tuns then keyboard or the old mouse way. Keep it =).

My 2cents.....

I like the boats as well as the vehicles now...The centring speed is good, plus the keys still over ride. The cursor fade is a little long... split the difference between the first (025) and second release (096). Is it possible to try different shapes / or colours/ or invert the shape, so it is not confused with the Waypoint cursor.

Nice not to see it is not visible in elite/veteran. Thanks.

Absolutely amazing steering changes - now need to set up an atv assault course with mines:D Great job guys one of the best changes ever.

Related sound issues is missing impact sound from the RU Tunguska 30 mm AA guns, visual hit effects are there with nice black smoke but no sound.

I hope to be able to make a simple repro and CIT when back home tonight.

/KC

Love the driving improvements. :cool:

Just one request: Could we please get a handbreak button? Some vehicles take ages to come to a halt. :rolleyes:

hmm handbrakes are for keeping the vehicle still while stationary. I hope you don't use the hand brake for slowing down quickly in your RL car :) .

Let me just say the following: "PANZER HALT!" :sly:

Nyles searching for a tank racing game where laws of physics don't matter/nonexistent? Or just not using foresight/ thinking ahead?

There are often moments in the armaverse when our linear slowdown by press and holding "S" isn't quite enough and having more responsive breaks would surely help a lot in taking the much improved driving precision with the new controls to an even higher level of control for the user.

I can drive slow, normal and fast, why can't I then at least break normal or hard? :)

And the super-accelerating downhill racing of ArmA tanks is an entirely different topic in regard to laws of physics not mattering, hehe. :rolleyes: