Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89025 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

I'm really not liking that the new mouse steering overrides keyboard steering completely. I feel like I have a lot less control with the mouse ("go over there" vs "turn this direction") and when I try to use the keyboard for adjustments the mouse takes over and pulls me off course. God forbid I accidentally knock my mouse then my vehicle goes wildly off course. :)

It's OK for long distances but it must not override keyboard controls please.

I really welcome any improvement, but i preffer to use the mouse to look arround, i even have unbind the mouse turn :S. Maybe to people with track-IR would be better, but anyways i will try the new mouse driving :P

Edited by columdrum

Not sure what's wrong, but this doesn't seem to work for me the same as for others.

- no mods, version 1.60.89025 on menu screen

- there is no steering indicator in any vehicle

- when driving a boat, I can never get more than 45 degrees off of center from whatever heading it started in

- the boat always returns to start heading

- if I order another driver (in RHIB) to go someplace 90 degs left or right, he can't get there, the boat will turn about 45 to 50 degs, then snap back to original heading

- I also cannot steer the boat with my xbox controller anymore, it will turn up to 45 degs, but snaps back to start heading

Not sure what's wrong, but this doesn't seem to work for me the same as for others.

- no mods, version 1.60.89025 on menu screen

- there is no steering indicator in any vehicle

The steering indicator appears only when you steer using a mouse (verify the mouse is mapped to "Car more left/right" control, not "Car left/right" in the Vehicle controls section)

- when driving a boat, I can never get more than 45 degrees off of center from whatever heading it started in

- the boat always returns to start heading

- if I order another driver (in RHIB) to go someplace 90 degs left or right, he can't get there, the boat will turn about 45 to 50 degs, then snap back to original heading

- I also cannot steer the boat with my xbox controller anymore, it will turn up to 45 degs, but snaps back to start heading

All steering methods other than mouse (probably including AI) are currently not working for boats. Will be fixed in the next beta.

Have you changed the binding of the steering keys, to remove 'more left' and 'more right'? I have bound the mouse to 'left' and 'right' rather than 'more left' and 'more right', I could not change the direction of the boat until I removed the binding for left and right and put back the ones for 'more left' and 'more right'.

I have to say that I prefer the binding that I had rather than the new method of steering.

Scott

Thank you for the replies. The mouse is now mapped to 'more left' & right. However I'm beginning to wonder if my beta install is bad or something. I still have no steering indicator for cars, and I tried a lot of different cars. I only have the mouse mapped to more left & right, I tried removing all mappings to normal left & right. Also I just ran the game without the patch to retest the boats for comparison. Boats steered about the same, but the beta seemed a bit more smooth to my perception. I don't normally steer with the mouse at all, and I'm just providing feedback for you.

Love it!

Works very well for large ships ..... really like the way it tries to auto steer the ship/boat back to the heading.

But I must admit for the smaller faster craft I found it a little hard to not use more normal key steer, which of course no longer works peoperly/the same way. For such craft keys are more responsive.

Suggest: keys override heading set, until you touch the mouse again. Touching the mouse sets (restores) the heading then to directly forward, if the original (mouse) heading is beyond the field of view.

Anyhow .... maybe I'll just get used to this way ;)

Edited by [APS]Gnat

New (old) boat steering works nice!

I noticed that boat driver does not see water particles.

Also noticed anoter minor gfx glitch.

The boat (only tested CCR and RHIB) propeller continoue to make water spray also with engine turned off if at shore.

A2OA_B89025_Boat_01.jpg

/KC

I don't find its advances. After I add the beta, when I drive a boat, I can use only W-key to forward and mouse to control the direction in deed, but is it better than all movement by keys? What's more, you can't well control the boat when your mouse direction is different from your left and right derection key. At the same time, even you turn off the engine, when you move your mouse, it is turned on again. Oh, sorry the original version is the same when you move your mouse the engine will be on.

Edited by msy

I noticed the auto report is forced to be on. I am playing with expert setting, but the player reports all the sights around him.

Also AI pilot once stucked to loop giving his gunner target on every second until the target was dissapeared. This happened with blackhawk with my team as cargo.

Else nice fixes in these betas. ;)

@ BI Developers

in the next patch, is it possible for you to add the laser or the flashlights to the ArmA 2 weapons?

Because when playing ArmA 2 CO, it's kind of weird when I use M16A4 or M4A1 Holo: they've got the flashlights or the laser, but can't use it.

I know it wasn't possible in ArmA 2, but since we can do this with Arrowhead weapons, I wondered if you could add it to ArmA 2 weapons...

thanks,

Wiki

I don't mind the change if people are happy about it. As long as this feature doesn't prevent us from using the keyboard, equal to the independence mouse and keyboard has had up until now, it's alright. Personally, however, I can't get used to it. I feel I lack control and accuracy (it sways to correct itself in a tight turn) when I use this feature.

Haven't gotten the land vehicles implemented yet, so I'll revert from speaking of that since it will only be based on a guesstimate.

Edited by colossus

You need to have weapon crosshair enabled to see this marker. Maybe BIS will add "visual indicators" into option menu sooner or later (A3)? ;)

You can make a sharp turn if you use direction keys + mouse together. A2OA should not turn into an action-racing game with low or no physical laws.

Steering a boat/ship should feel different than driving a vehicle or flying an aircraft.

Yeah, I can't do a u-turn with the keyboard anymore. Holding down A or S should hold the wheel over to one side, rather than allowing it to come back around automatically.

Heyhey!

I tried the new steering mode and I really like it!

It's much better driving with mouse now - before I only used Keyboard (slow reaction) or gamepad, because with mouse it seemed there was always a movement needed, so that made.

One thing I would like to note, in my opinion it is a bit unuseful that the cross will get transparent in the middle - but that's my opinion. Cheers

The steering feels very nice. Though in the CRRC or the RHIB at high speeds it tends to turn further than the marker and then has to turn back.

Also the controls "car left"/"car right" feel a little strange. I can't put my finger on tho. If I had to guess I'd say the commander steers the boat (since he has a little marker) but I'm not sure at all it's that.

The land vehicle controls are awesome. I realise there has been no change to them but the marker makes it so much easier to steer. I just wish the marker wouldn't disappear.

I just wish the marker wouldn't disappear.

Yep, but it has to be moved then so its not in the middle of the screen. Maybe move it down a bit so its just above the steering wheel? Middle of screen gets a bit intrusive and thats why it fades away (like WP marks do when middle of screen). Or maybe keep it "50%" transparent instead of disapearing completely?

I agree that it gets a bit easier to steer the car with it so its a good add.

I saw the indicator when steering a Bradley and an Abrams, so it works for vehicles other than cars as well. With tracked vehicles, I find that you have to move the mouse too far to the left or right to get a sharp turn. Perhaps the mouse sensitivity should be increased slightly for such vehicles?

------------------------------

I'm still seeing some pixelation around bright objects in thermal optics with FXAASharp=2; FXAA=7; FSAA=2; AToC=7.

8e9393173206088.jpg

Here are similar shots from 1.60 vanilla with no sharpening (same .cfg as above):

8c2518173226884.jpg

8cbc86173226886.jpg

b8127d173226889.jpg

Edges look smoother.

Edited by OMAC

I give the changes a big thumbs-up for driving boats. Very precise, fluid control, and fun, too. I say go for it. Well done.

Love the changes to controls.Still don't know how to map the controller but the other changes are great :) .

Unfortunately since the last 3 beta-builds heavy Z-Fightning seems to be back. I have also a big graphical clitch since I've activated FXAA and FSAA.

It only appears when I am at 1000m or above in helicopter or jumping into AO. Around me the terrain gets weird black spots allover it and is then z-fighting

to normal terrain. I don't know if this is a driver issue or a bug.

P.S.: Screenshot when requested!

Greetings

CriminalMinds

Unfortunately since the last 3 beta-builds heavy Z-Fightning seems to be back.

I can confirm that. All you need to do is sit on a mountain peak about 1 km away from Chernogorsk and look through a high powered scope at the city. Z-fighting like crazy.