Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Take On Helicopters Beta Patch 88888

1.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #1

Take On Helicopters Beta Patch 88888

Revision 88888 uploaded

Changelog:
    Spoiler:
    Bohemia Interactive
    Arma 3 - Project Lead
    Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
    Take On Noisecontrollers!

2.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #2

Heavy heli FM is pretty much good to go, landing has indeed been fixed.

Medium heli FM is still sub-optimal (at least for kb/mouse, Expert), although wild right yaw when starting in flight (i.e. Free Flight) has been fixed:

1) heli too readily pitches nose down (!), requiring aft cyclic to counteract, especially on collective increase and at slow forward speeds (i.e. during landing). Landing without autohover is very, very iffy, too often leading to crashes, mainly due to too much nose-down pitch response during collective increase. Nose-down pitch response to collective increase needs to be reduced.

2) When heli starts to pitch nose down, response of aft cyclic key is too slow (aft cyclic input response needs to be increased substantially). Manual trim for aft cyclic helps, but perhaps not enough.

3) too rapid descent at 50% collective (needs a slight tweak imo)

4) check to see if medium heli isn't "falling through objects" as was just fixed for heavy heli.

This beta is definitely a step in the right direction!

The issue with the medium heli going berserk when trying to land is quite severe. All is good while flying, but when one slows down to land, the heli can easily go completely haywire and enter into the terrible right spin. This is unchanged from previous beta. Entering autohover usually, but not always, stops the spin. The FM behavior at slow speeds needs to be examined closely. It is virtually impossible to land or control the medium heli at slow speeds. Expert, kb/mouse only.

-----------------------------

I've been doing some very hard combat flying with the light heli, and thought that I noticed the heli becoming damaged just from the rough maneuvers. It looks like a heli can now more easily become damaged from rough flying alone (not necessarily a bad thing, but how much damage and when it will occur should be tested). It would save testing time if a quick summary of the principal changes to the FM/damage were posted, as PvPscene and I suggested earlier.
    Last edited by OMAC; Feb 4 2012 at 01:04.

So far so good, I have patched to revision infinite 8 patch and the change in flight model from 1.03 is considerable, now the helos, at least when flown with joystick in Expert feel much more "natural", specially the MD500, it is just a joy to fly (I still fly with the MODs from Nightsta1ker but even though I feel different behaviour).

The helos no longer require right yoke correction, soft landings are easy and the birds go where I want them to go, I think you are getting there (well, ok I have no clue how a thing like a Merlin behaves...).

From my point of view you are going in the right direction.

I found what seems to be a very little "glitch", in the construction buildings where the cargo missions are always started if I try to land my skids get sunk like 20 cm in the concrete, but I know it was just fresh concrete so... no worries I didn't saw anything

Thanks

PS: Friday night, time for some more addiction .
    My rig is in the Spoiler:

6.   This is the last Developer post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Revision infinite 8 patch
    I wonder how many more people would download this beta if we marketed it like that

just a joy to fly
    Although I'm no clearly helicopter expert, I agree, the light helicopter is exactly that: a joy to fly. I agree, too, we've, got a little more to do on the medium and heavy; although, that said, I do enjoy still the challenge that they present.

In the construction buildings where the cargo missions are always started if I try to land my skids get sunk like 20 cm in the concrete
    Did you find that this occurred pre-beta? Or is this feedback specific to post infinite-8?

Thanks to all our beta testers, and have a good weekend!
    Best,
    RiE
    Arma 3 is a combined arms military game with an infantry focus. Built upon appropriate, useful and engaging elements of simulation, it's an accessible platform for a variety of official and community playable/sandbox content, based on the principles of authenticity, diversity and opportunity.

Dans son oeil, ciel livide où germe l'ouragan,
    La douceur qui fascine et le plaisir qui tue.

I believe that I can still reproduce spinning bug for medium helicopter (expert). Maybe it is because I damaged helicopter, or that I use only twist handle joystick, but I think that bug still persist there.

You can reproduced it in free flight, take medium helicopter and quickly lower collective and at the same time push right pedal, I think that you don't need any flight speed.
    You can see on my video, that helicopter start to spinning, and control is again very sensitive, I can somehow manage heli, but helicopter even spin on the ground and stop spinning only after I switch off motor.

I can now reproduced it very easily and don't think that I crippled helicopter, because it behave same like in previous beta patch. I found it because I wanted save poor ship-wrecked person and couldn't save him. I needed quickly transfer him to hospital and every time I end up in spin, and we died .

edit: Now I see that OMAC already reported it, nevermind .
    Last edited by BoboCZ; Feb 3 2012 at 21:19.
    My Computer:
    MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 | i5 2500K @4.5GHz | NVidia MSI N560GTX-TI TWIN FROZR II
    16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 1600Mhz | SSD 128GB Crucial M4 | Enermax PRO82+ 525W | Windows 7 x64 | Logitech WingMa​n Extreme 3D Pro

Take On Helicopters - video options #.

Your excellent video shows exactly what I have been experiencing! Great repro!

Arrow 88feedback88

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaltyinExile View Post
    (...) I agree, too, we've, got a little more to do on the medium and heavy; although, that said, I do enjoy still the challenge that they present.
    RiE
    Yep, I agree on that too, the Bell should be a challenge (I'm not sure on the Merlin due to the "fly by wire" controls) and in fact in forward and non demanding flight envelopes it also behaves quite nicely, maybe the tail rotor feels a little bit too responsive for my taste but I think this is due to the joystick configuration so far tailor made for NightSta1ker MD500, being said that I agree with OMAC and BoboCZ, whenever I perform slightly aggressive flight envelopes like turns with banking at medium speeds on the Bell it is like the anti torque rotor would immediately blow off and in fact it is very easy to reproduce, fly straight at about 40 knots IAS and slowly apply full rudder (no matter left or right), you will not be there for long believeme...
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyaltyinExile View Post
    Did you find that this occurred pre-beta? Or is this feedback specific to post infinite-8?
    I don't know RiE, sorry about that , all what I know is that in the beta happens.
    By the way, a little list of small details:
    1. On Seattle grid 361080 there is a long industrial building that intrudes the river when the satellite image says the opposite.
    2. On Seattle grid 094063 there is a missing bridge (cars go underwater)
    3. When in free flight the helicopter spawn point can be located outside the mapped (sat image) area.
    4. FLYINHEIGHT command only seems to work when the height is lower than 10 (not including 10).
    5. The MD500 co-pilot seat seems to be not reachable by ASSIGNAS... nor MOVEIN (so far I tried cargo, commander, turret, gunner)
    6. In the MD500 flight model (I have not tested the others) the in ground effect seems to be completely gone, in fact when flying right over a row of containers now there is no change at all in height (keeping all the controls as constant as possible).
    7. The cars that drive over the bridge Homer M Hardley Memorial Bridge over Lake Washington (7-8Km dues East from Larkin base) are flying some meters over the bridge and some of them go underwater too.
    8. Whenever there is a tunnel entrance the cars instead of disappear they turn.

Please keep your mind open and be veeeeeeeeeeeeeery patient with negative comments in this forum, some people is far to understand the words like "complexity" "balance" "resource"..., another explanation may be that their sex life is not up to the expectations, that happens...

Have a good week end.

Isaac
    Last edited by Isaac; Feb 5 2012 at 20:20. Reason: Longer list of glitches.

Any chance of increasing ground effect slightly? It now feels negative, that you are almost sucked into the ground! Someone else mentioned this idea recently as well.
    Last edited by OMAC; Feb 5 2012 at 16:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast