Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Holy shit, we were wrong. The AI cheats!

Heh, made this video almost a year ago
    http://youtu.be/h6gXYEE-GgA
    IceBreakr, C/O [SBP] - Slovenian Black Panthers (www.vojak.si)

Don't book a trip to Altis. There are no women living there at all! #Arma3Tips

First Lieutenant
    Author of the Thread
    I think we've all been there. But they still can't see through foliage, I've decided. They simply have unfair 360 degree vision that lets them see you run behind a bush. And then they shoot the shit out of it.

...unlike infantry who never shoot your through bushes because their position estimation system is retarded.
    My Chernarussian Civil War SP missions:
    Enfilade Ambush
    Autumn Siege

Not all vehicles though
    During one of our coop games we were moving through the village when we walked straight into the back of BMP-3 with our full squad. And by that I mean 3 meters. It was just behind the building.
    So we calmly readied 2 AT4s and blasted it away with only one.

Granted we weren't trying to destroy it with 5.56 fire
    ArmA2: "Doc, I'm wounded, I can barely aim and I'm bleeding badly, come on pull my body out of the harm's way and treat me before I die!"
    ArmA3: "You are wounded! Click to instantly regenerate health whenever you feel like it!"

Giving 'authenticity' an entirely new meaning, together with Medal of Honor.

First Lieutenant
    Author of the Thread
    Yep, and the BMP-2 is kosher as well. Perhaps someone could help me put some thought into this.

BMPs have independent commander optics, but there is no gun attached.

Does the M2 Stryker have a commander's turret? An armed UAZ has no commander, of course, but it should also use the FOV of its passengers, rather than the optics of an armed vehicle.

Maybe it is the driver who can see 360. Because BMPs have that default A2-era slit for seeing things. The Stryker's driver, on the other hand, has a sort of scope that is new with OA. And the UAZ driver has a windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by maturin View Post
    Yep, and the BMP-2 is kosher as well. Perhaps someone could help me put some thought into this.

BMPs have independent commander optics, but there is no gun attached.

Does the M2 Stryker have a commander's turret? An armed UAZ has no commander, of course, but it should also use the FOV of its passengers, rather than the optics of an armed vehicle.

Maybe it is the driver who can see 360. Because BMPs have that default A2-era slit for seeing things. The Stryker's driver, on the other hand, has a sort of scope that is new with OA. And the UAZ driver has a windshield.
    The Stryker has Commander/Gunner on turret, driver and commander both have TV only with the hatch closed and both have Day-TV, NV and FLIR on their optics. So both can "see thru bushes".

First Lieutenant
    Author of the Thread
    As already stated, the Stryker can't see through bushes if you start the mission with it looking through one. It also can't find you if you fire through the bush at it, even if they turret swings past your position.

And the glitch also applies to an iron sights HMG bolted to the back of a pickup truck, created before BIS implemented FLIR...

I thought that hitting someone gives a knowsabout boost to the guy that was hit, and with that also revealing your position. I think you would get the same behaviour if you reproduced this with infantry, however i cannot check it right now.

First Lieutenant
    Author of the Thread
    AI spotting isn't just a 'knowsabout' value.

It's a two step process with different knowsabout values at every step. If you fire a shot out of FOV of a unit, he has only sound to go on. In my experience, it is nearly impossible for a unit to pinpoint your location on sound alone (so much so that I posted a bug ticket about it). Being shot at or hearing gunshots simply prompts the AI to turn and locate you visually.

But yes, a purer repro mission would be the one in the pre-existing 360 vision ticket.

Why do I feel like I'm still arguing a case? Everything I'm saying has been done to death already by other testers and devs, and packaged into an official BIS patch.

What I saw: placed a M1A1 with me as commander on the Utes runway, placed a BMP 2 facing away from me a few hundered meters away, klicked preview->BMP turrets instantly starts to turn my way. Kind of strange
    Teach the AI how to drive. Give us supression effects for AI. Make AI ragdoll if they get hit. Give us proper animations for throwing Frags. Give us a proper wounding system. Fix the armored vests so that they don´t protect the whole torso. Give us inertia influenced movement depending on the Weapon you have. Make every weapon have a collision model so that players prefer to clean houses with their pistol instead of their heavy MG. Introduce auto lowering of the weapon if it collides with the wall. www.Brigade2010.de

First Lieutenant
    Author of the Thread
    That is strange, since according to the glitch I know, vehicles only have 360 degree vision for LoS checks. When they aren't alerted and are in the probability vision stage, they see normally.

Edit: WTF! You're right. The same thing happens to me. A completely empty map, no noises made by the vehicle and the BMP turns to shoot you.

It gains special knowledge about any other vehicle on the map! Tanks, trucks, even immobile bicycles. But it spots infantry normally. Ticket away!

Man, I so wish the vehicles just used infantry AI. Who knows what kind of unnoticed shenanigans have been secretly murdering us all these years.
    Last edited by maturin; Jan 31 2012 at 15:46.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast