Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Holy shit, we were wrong. The AI cheats!

No, this isn't it. Because the BMP only scans when there is a vehicle. Not if there is just an infantryman. The AI never does security scans in any other situation. It knows.

You need major, major proof for that one. Despite all the AI glitches that have stumped ArmA players over the years, X-ray vision has remained a myth. And I know rocks block LoS. I hide behind them all the time.

I'm affraid I won't be able to reproduce but Im not making that up. BTR60 was tracking me like they could smell me.Right before you enter Nagara from south, there are huge rocks near the road to the left / N-NW.

Can get a screen of that location but I doubt i can reproduce....Could be related to some rocks only?

AI spotting isn't just a 'knowsabout' value.

It's a two step process with different knowsabout values at every step. If you fire a shot out of FOV of a unit, he has only sound to go on. In my experience, it is nearly impossible for a unit to pinpoint your location on sound alone (so much so that I posted a bug ticket about it). Being shot at or hearing gunshots simply prompts the AI to turn and locate you visually.

But yes, a purer repro mission would be the one in the pre-existing 360 vision ticket.

Why do I feel like I'm still arguing a case? Everything I'm saying has been done to death already by other testers and devs, and packaged into an official BIS patch.

I am not arguing against you, i am just suspecting that it hasnt got anything to do with hearing/seeing at all, but that its the fact that you hit them.

No, this isn't it. Because the BMP only scans when there is a vehicle. Not if there is just an infantryman. The AI never does security scans in any other situation. It knows.

You need major, major proof for that one. Despite all the AI glitches that have stumped ArmA players over the years, X-ray vision has remained a myth. And I know rocks block LoS. I hide behind them all the time.

It could be the vehicle radar. ;)

Statics in this game are fucked up in every possible regard. Not surprised.

I'm affraid I won't be able to reproduce but Im not making that up. BTR60 was tracking me like they could smell me.

How do you know you aren't mistaken? Please post a repro standing next to the rock at least, and say how close you were. It could have just been predictive movements of the turret. Was it an otherwise empty map?

How do you know you aren't mistaken? Please post a repro standing next to the rock at least, and say how close you were. It could have just been predictive movements of the turret. Was it an otherwise empty map?

I'm not mistaken becouse I've never experienced such odd behaviour before.My whole body was well hidden in the ditch and behind little hill which provided cover not just by said rocks but also lower ground and behind hill and the only way i could even see the BTR60 tracking me was observation in 3th person.

As I expected, I wasn't able to reproduce this behaviour as in vanilla ot works alright, even though you still can observe some odd-ish vehicle tracking ability, however not even close to the issue i shared here.

The mission i played was BE warfare 2.070 ACE and used only the basic ACE mods needed for ACE mission plus ACRE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r20ra38gefua778

#pls note I have no experience in creating repro missions whatsoever and the mission even barely reflects the issue i've experienced in said warfare. Well I tried :cool:

It could be the vehicle radar. ;)

You are probably right, since when you are in armor or aircraft you have that overhead cheating minimap that shows everything that has LOS from you, 360 degrees.

AI is probably just using our minimap in the case of BMP vs Abrams.

What? It's not a cheating radar. It's just a digital display of every target the AI has identified through normal means.

This is the thread for experienced people to make credible statements, not peddle the same old myths.

Edit: And if he was behind a rock, there was no LoS.

Nevermind. Wrong thread.

Edited by Johan S

Wow! It's now ten months since my ticket has been on the bugtracker. Now it got solved in one week. Are you serious?

I didn't believe this bug would ever be solved cause there was no reaction or focus on this issue although I tried to get attention on the ticket here and by the time I posted, many AI related fixes were made in the betas. However, nothing happened. Not to mention this is a gamebreaking bug, if you play mainly infantry in mission which include vehicles.

I gave up bughunting and reporting due to the experience so little attention was drawn on such major bugs.

Sorry, I just had to get rid of this thoughts... I'm really happy it got fixed (and that things are still getting fixed in such an old game), but I don't see why this bug was not estimated higher priority having the consequences of this bug for gameplay in mind.

Wow! It's now ten months since my ticket has been on the bugtracker. Now it got solved in one week. Are you serious?

I didn't believe this bug would ever be solved cause there was no reaction or focus on this issue although I tried to get attention on the ticket here and by the time I posted, many AI related fixes were made in the betas. However, nothing happened. Not to mention this is a gamebreaking bug, if you play mainly infantry in mission which include vehicles.

I gave up bughunting and reporting due to the experience so little attention was drawn on such major bugs.

Sorry, I just had to get rid of this thoughts... I'm really happy it got fixed (and that things are still getting fixed in such an old game), but I don't see why this bug was not estimated higher priority having the consequences of this bug for gameplay in mind.

Miracles happen :p

They seriously have to fix these issues for arma 3.

Even with infantry, on countless occasions now, I've approached AI from behind only for them to wheel around at light speed and know precisely where I am only seconds after they were revealed to my line of sight.

Now whenever I get excited to play some Arma 2 I remember how utterly useless tactical evasion is and its just... bleah.

I can't really argue COD players now because technically all ARMA 2 is at this point is deathmatch skills with strict movement limitation, nothing more.

I think everyone likes the idea of "AI" behaving intelligently, but I don't think anyone really wants them to have abilities that aren't shared by human players, that just sucks. :(

They seriously have to fix these issues for arma 3.

Even with infantry, on countless occasions now, I've approached AI from behind only for them to wheel around at light speed and know precisely where I am only seconds after they were revealed to my line of sight.

Now whenever I get excited to play some Arma 2 I remember how utterly useless tactical evasion is and its just... bleah.

I can't really argue COD players now because technically all ARMA 2 is at this point is deathmatch skills with strict movement limitation, nothing more.

I think everyone likes the idea of "AI" behaving intelligently, but I don't think anyone really wants them to have abilities that aren't shared by human players, that just sucks. :(

Well if you've played Operation Flashpoint, then you know how ridiculous it could be when you go prone in a bush to hide from enemies and watch them walk into you until you're pushed out of the bush.. however, it was surely more fun than removing those funky restrictions to make the AI slightly above-human and just get shot through a wall or some barrier.

Plus I'd say the mods for this game (ACE2, ACRE, various AI mods/tweaks, custom weapons, etc) make it into a whole new game and remove a lot of vanilla problems albeit potentially adding problems.. but a lot of groups use these mods without problems as long as they know how to use them. I'm glad if this is fixed anyways, the AI did seem to be able to spray through thick trees in Chernarus forests even though I rarely play on that map anymore.. or to observe some vehicle turret turning to face you while you're behind a building