Sign in to follow this  
DrakeTungsten

ECP + GRAA in multiplayer?

The ECP + GRAA combo sounds appealing to me (I just got into OFP so I can't claim to be a die-hard fan yet, even if I do become one). I have read GRAA's instructions for using it with ECP and have successfully merged the two for single-player. However, I want to setup a dedicated server shortly and I have my doubts that this combo will work on a dedicated server.

Besides instructions for using GRAA with ECP, GRAA also came with clear instructions for using it in multiplayer, which appearantly it won't do with the default install. The instructions are clear enough, but the differences between the steps for an ECP merge and multiplayer setup have me thinking that I can't have both - multiplayer with GRAA and ECP at the same time.

Mixing GRAA with ECP was a matter of replacing config.cpp in the ECP directory with a special GRAA + ECP config file, and then copying GRAA pbo files to ECP.

The GRAA mulitplayer steps include deleting two cpp files (including config.cpp) and using special bin files which are named the same as the two deleted cpp files (except for the extension). Am I right in deducing that in OFP, cpp files and bin files server the same purpose or hold the same type of information, it's just that the bin files are compiled versions of cpp files, and the content of a cpp file will take precedence over the content of its corresponding bin file?

If that is correct, then since the multiplayer setup for GRAA has you delete the cpp files and only use the multiplayer-specific bin files, then there would very likely be a conflict in design between the GRAA's ECP config.cpp and its multiplayer config.bin?

In other words, the GRAA author doesn't want a config.cpp anywhere in your multiplayer GRAA setup (for a good reason I'm sure - probably to force you to use only the MP-compatible features), but the only way to use ECP with GRAA is to use the special config.cpp GRAA provides for use with ECP. Doing both (using the ECP config.cpp and MP config.bin) would probably not work, right?

I know I could just try it for myself, but I don't have a server setup yet, and even if it did run and was not obviously broken, I want to make sure I wouldn't be setting myself up for something unforeseen later on.

Edited by DrakeTungsten

You only need one PC. With enough memory and a decent cpu, you can simply run the server (start game exe with parameter -server) on the background plus a few windowed (-window) instances of the game to easily test how it works.

ECP should be MP compatible and IIRC GRAA doesn't have complex scripting that would break the game in MP.

GRAA 3.0 crashes on non-supported servers when you use rocket launcher.

Non supported servers do not have GRAA 3.0 mod animations, that might be a reason for crash.