Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Arma 3 with 1,000 players online .. possible?

Arma 3 with 1,000 players online .. possible?

Interesting article I have read about a test game in a few days with 1,000 players online (on one map!) to test network load balancing.

I wonder if Arma x will ever reach that number.

More on that article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Muc...ess,14514.html
    Captain Bravo
    One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine"
    From a Russian General's Notebook

Join Bravo Company
    A highly trained unit run by an ex cook, a hooker and an old pensioner, so expect the best!
    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80906

The purpose of this game ("Man vs Machine") is to demo the capabilities of the PikkoServer load balancing product.
    Are BIS primarily network engineers or game developers? I wonder if 1000 players online will do better teamwork than 100 or 10....

I would think you need optic fiber between everyone's exchange. most people around the world have noisy copper still...

Author of the Thread
    With Arma 3 size maps, it is begging for 1,000 players size missions!! As for team play, perhaps you do have a point

Fiber might not be needed as article mentioned you only need less than half MB/sec. It is still in early stages but I see games in near future moving to bigger is better.

heh, People already calling for 1000 players online before we can even run 100 smoothly. Net code needs a lot of work most likely, but I cant know for sure.
    Participate in the multiplayer revolution!

CaptainBravo you are begging and forecasting without knowing... dream a little dream.

maybe its not that apparent but MMOs are really simplified games with simple actions and basically turn based combat, also you would require really good server, so basically not very likely. In arma, position of head, arms, and legs is synced. It wouldn't be a problem if players would be in small groups and far apart, but once the players would get close it would be unmanageable. Maybe it would work for a large LAN party, but online, nope.

Author of the Thread
    The 1,000 players test is for FPS game. They are trying to show off their network code and that it can handle heavy workload which Arma will need for 1,0000 players game. The results will be interesting. BUt I think there are a couple of FPS games coming out with 1,000 player maps.

IN Arma most will be happy with 100 players lag free game!

I think in arma is quiet impossible to handle 1000 players because of the complexity.

IN Arma most will be happy with 100 players lag free game!
    +1

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast