Sign in to follow this  
NutzMcKracken

Major Graphics Technology Suggestion

I'd like to suggest you check out this technology and give it an assessment of your own.

This seems like a major shift that might be viable in moving your products forward.

If their claims are true it might benefit the amazing environments you do have into the future!

UO5tFZC8wWU

:459:

If you have come across this already and contemplating it, then cheers.

It's been viewed and discussed before somewhere on this forum.

But yeah looks promising!

Already posted and I doubt this would ever come to games NVIDIA and AMD already hired professional assassins to take them out.

FYI this technology is decades old

Voxels are not used for many reasons, main of which being performance and lack of flexibility when it comes to animations. And of course huge amounts of memory needed to store voxel data.

If you will look closely you will notice that Euclideon copy pasted same 20m x 20m area over and over again.

They are trying to impress people who never played games older than 10 years.

Edited by metalcraze

I'm still unconvinced that this tech will find its way into games, as they have yet to show anything but pretty graphics demos, and all they ever talk about in the videos is how it could be even prettier if they got some better artists in. It takes a lot more than graphics to make a decent game engine, however.

So far UD seems more likely to be useful in other fields like architecture and medicine, as others have suggested. I wonder if they'll come back with a new video this year, and whether it will show something more like an actual game engine and less like a static scenery renderer.

As far as the Voxels you guys are wrong, and if you have seen any of Bruce Dell's interviews and statements, they are NOT Voxels.

He goes over and over again about how his technology is different, watch following recent interview. I think its funny how all the naysayers say it can't happen or that its already been done. Funny how close minded people cancel each other out.

As far as the snobbery keep it to a minimum, I was just bringing this to light as I just came across this. Maybe be open to the concept and if it fails oh well. It might be the encouragement for the next guy to advance this industry as well.

So, what if the concept is slightly relative to voxels (on a much smaller micros level), but the technology isn't, so assumptions are null.

Watch this interview and it will contradict what you assume you know about this. Might help to have an objective eye and see what happens then assume I suppose right?

hxtuZE5pOGA

There's dozens of other interviews that provide rebuttal to the arguement of "voxels", existing and impossible technology claims, and other assumptions.

I personally hope this technology turns out and it might advance gaming and engineering applications as a whole. Would be interesting if it turns out :)

Now on the flipside I understand they are still working on it and they had some edited and "scripted" parts...yet its still interesting that someone is working on this concept.

The fact remains that all Euclidion has shown so far is static scenery. All they need to do to convince critics that UD is viable for gaming is show some actual animation in the current engine. Yes, there are some very old videos that claim to show animation in UD, but those clearly feature very low resolution "cartoony" models.

The reason so many people are sceptical about UD is that animations on the level required to make an actual game are considered to be nigh impossible to achieve with high resolution point cloud data. With that in mind, the fact that their most recent demo still didn't show any animation after a year of further development will obviously raise suspicions.

I hear ya MadDog and your concerns, I'm thinking the same thing. We will have to wait and see. Still cool stuff.

I work in the "Engineering Design Graphics" and GIS industry (if you wanted to call it that). I already see how this could be of great benefit and influence. If this tech does turn out, more then likely companies like Autodesk will be at their doorstep.

Edited by NutzMcKracken
my ridiculously bad grammar

The discussion on this topic waned a while ago on these forums here, feel free to continue discussing it there.