Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ArmA 3 Scripting

ArmA 3 Scripting

I wonder if ArmA 3 will have the same scripting language as ArmA 2 or maybe they will implement a new language? If they do implement a new language, maybe it will be based on C# or C++ (Preferably C#)?
    What do you (the community) think?
    Badda bing, badda boom!

Author of the Thread
    Well, Surely C# would be better? And its easier for beginners. Maybe they should release an instruction manual or an e-book of some kind to teach us the implementation of Java. Lets discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by ylli122 View Post
    Well, Surely C# would be better? And its easier for beginners.
    C# would also be my number one. Dunno if it is easier for beginners or not.

The only thing that makes me wonder is why BIS has chosen Java. I have found only one game so far (made around 2000, can't even remember its name) which uses Java as scripting engine (I am not talking about games completely made in Java like Minecraft or games/engines which support Javascript).
    No other current game uses Java as scripting engine...

Quote Originally Posted by ylli122 View Post
    Maybe they should release an instruction manual or an e-book of some kind to teach us the implementation of Java. Lets discuss...
    Just wait till the next Take On Helicopters patch, then we'll all know how it works.

Xeno

Author of the Thread
    Thanks Xeno. If they decide to release such a manual and i can be bothered to learn Java and i have time off from my studies then ill see about maybe contributing to ACE for ArmA 3?!
    Btw i first learnt C#, i think it was quite easy. Much better than Java i'd say. Nice to see a fellow programmer here in the forums.

They picked Java because it has its own engine that can take every scripting language and output it to the game? I don't know anything about scripting but that's roughly how I understand it haha :P
    Last edited by James2464; Jan 16 2012 at 06:03.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnister View Post
    They picked Java because it has its own engine that can take every scripting language and output it to the game? I don't know anything about scripting but that's roughly how I understand it haha :P
    hahaha its ok, dont worry. But to clarify it for you languages have compilers, which turn the code into binary for the CPU to use as instructions. Now if BIS has some sort of Java compiler which can compile code from any programming language into Java then into binary, it would be brilliant. Means, i dont need to learn Java. If not? Well, then life is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnister View Post
    The .NET VM has the same capabilities. I guess it's a choice based on preference, perhaps based on performance or other considerations.

My first choice would also be C#, but I think we can all agree that either would be a great addition and steps forward.

Author of the Thread
    Definitely!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast