Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Any interesting books to recommend?

Chances of that ey?! Worth a read, has some interesting subjects and the author has a good way of getting the concepts and his own opinion across. Hope your trip to A&E wasn't serious. Or cider related.
    "RIVET-COUNTER" ALARM [SCANNING]
    VOLCBAT
    Future Hamok Pilot

On The End Of A Bottle Of Cider-Somerset - UK
    Not too serious Dan and prob due to the lack of

How Ppl Treat Me Is Their Path, How I Respond Is Mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanal View Post
    Yet another white-knight who parachuted himself into the thread without using the search function.

I shall not insult moderators
    Fire Strike 7/9 by Damien Lewis
    The story of JTAC Paul Grahame's 6 month tour in Helmand, Afghanistan.
    One of those books you just can't put down. The JTAC is in a unique position. He is at a crux between the ordinary soldier, the officers, air assets and high command. I can't think of anyone who has a better view of the battlefield. Engaged by Taliban artillery, ambushed many times, includes the rare use of 'Broken Arrow' protocols. His story about battling a severe case of diarrhoea when a female Sky journalist sits down beside him in the communal toilet is a classic. There is a great deal of 'idea material' in here for mission makers.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Strike-.../dp/0091938066

Desert of Death by Leo Docherty
    Worth reading for an opposing view is the tale of Captain Docherty. Docherty is a linguist and performs interpreting and liaison tasks in Helmand in 2006, spending much time with Afghan locals. I'm not sure I agree with everything he thinks but much of it is valid, he appears very bitter about his experiences. He takes a particularly narrow view and excludes the drug business/international element in the whole Afghan problem. The book could have had more content and seems to reach an abrupt conclusion. Worth the read though as books like Fire Strike 7/9 are just a tad too army PC.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Death...8548291&sr=1-1
    Last edited by PELHAM; Feb 6 2012 at 17:28.

Quote Originally Posted by PELHAM View Post
    Fire Strike 7/9 by Damien Lewis
    The story of JTAC Paul Grahame's 6 month tour in Helmand, Afghanistan.
    One of those books you just can't put down. The JTAC is in a unique position. He is at a crux between the ordinary soldier, the officers, air assets and high command. I can't think of anyone who has a better view of the battlefield. Engaged by Taliban artillery, ambushed many times, includes the rare use of 'Broken Arrow' protocols. His story about battling a severe case of diarrhoea when a female Sky journalist sits down beside him in the communal toilet is a classic. There is a great deal of 'idea material' in here for mission makers.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Strike-.../dp/0091938066
    Sounds great PELHAM, is this part (Engaged by Taliban Artillery) serious though, I've never heard of the taliban using artillery much less affording it and being able to use it accurately.

My Releases:
    ArmA 2 CO: Jackal Two Nine || US Army '09 Replacements || Marsoc Marines Replacement Coming Soon...
    Skyrim: Jormungandr || Poison Blade (HD) || Poison Blade (Lighter Blade - HD)
    ArmA 3: VIPRR A-TACS

I shall not insult moderators
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER[CWW] View Post
    Sounds great PELHAM, is this part (Engaged by Taliban Artillery) serious though, I've never heard of the taliban using artillery much less affording it and being able to use it accurately.
    Yes it's serious, B-11 107mm and B-10 82mm guns, 120mm mortars, 107/122mm rockets launched from tripods etc. The fire was very accurate and although they took out several mortars and mortar crews the large B-11 wasn't found on his watch. It was carried in sections through underground tunnels into the green zone and fired from a concealed position. If you go over to LiveLeak and search for RG-31 or B10 you will see some American video of what it's like to be on the receiving end of the smaller gun.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-11_recoilless_rifle
    A dud 120mm mortar round with M4 for scale.
    Last edited by PELHAM; Feb 6 2012 at 22:48.

"The Fourth Protocol" by Frederick Forsythe. Great read, tho a little harsh at start - a lot of details explantation. But as it moves on, it becomes waaaay faster and well... simply epic. "Just" a great "spy" plot set in the 70's. Great atmosphere and it's pretty realistic, not the James Bond stuff.

Also, did anyone mentioned legendary "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller? If You liked the (equally legendary) Top Secret humour, You'll love this.

1) Master and Margerita - Bulhakov,
    2) "Idiot" and "Crime and Punishment" - Dostoevsky,
    3) Quo Vadis - Sienkiewicz

Currently I´m reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" but I guess its better known as "Game of Thrones" by R.R. Martin. Some of the best Books I have read
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones...8606529&sr=1-1
    Other must read! Books:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Millennium-T...8606299&sr=1-4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Limit-Roman-...8606351&sr=1-1
    Teach the AI how to drive. Teach AI Tank drivers to turn their front towards the enemy. Give us supression effects for AI. Make AI ragdoll if they get hit. Give us proper animations for throwing Frags. Give us a proper wounding system. Fix the armored vests so that they don´t protect the whole torso. Give us inertia influenced movement depending on the Weapon you have. www.Brigade2010.de

Quote Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
    Currently I´m reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" but I guess its better known as "Game of Thrones" by R.R. Martin.
    Embarrassingly Im hooked on the show
    ~The bearly literate pugilist~
    MP: Black Amish
    3 rules to live by:
    Don't smoke in bed
    Stay away from tatoo'ed women
    Stay outta bushes at night

Spoiler:

Read the books, they are much better!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast