Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

Any interesting books to recommend?

Richard K. Morgan

His Takeshi Kovacs anti-hero character series;

Altered Carbon: combining elements of cyberpunk and hardboiled detective fiction

Broken Angels: blending science fiction, detective and war fiction

Woken Furies: cyberpunk and detective fiction

Love his writting.

Interesting fact: He was lead writer (story) on Crysis 2 and now working with Starbreeze to be a writer for their 2011 re-imagining of the original Syndicate.

http://www.richardkmorgan.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Morgan

RichardMorgan.jpg

Edited by [APS]Gnat

I was wondering what's your opinion on the Andy McNab books and which one of his "non-fiction" books would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

'The Twelve Caesars' by Svetonius Tranquillus. Whilst reading you will find many similarities and links between past and present ;)

'Speeches' by Marcvs Cicero. This one will make you wise :)

Now I'm reading 'The Pacific' by Hugh Ambrose. It's really good just like James bradley's 'The Flags of Our Fathers'.

and also reading 'Life On The Mississippi' by one of my favorite American author Mark Twain.

I think the next book I will start will be 'Helmet for My Pillow' and 'With the Old Breed' Damn this Pacific stuff is really interesting!

I'm interested in Vietnam War memoirs, do you know anything good I could read? Please recommend.

My first military-based fictional book.

The Kremlin by Chris Ryan. Well worth it.

"Inside Delta Force"

Is it a good book or rather boring?

It is excellent.

I was wondering what's your opinion on the Andy McNab books and which one of his "non-fiction" books would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :)

I've read Crossfire. He's not the most elegant writer in the world (if he even writes all his own books), but Crossfire was alright. It had some interesting bits and was pretty immersive.

EDIT: Mixed up fiction and non-fiction. FPDR

Edited by Daniel

One of the very best book series available

R.R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Karl Marlantes Matterhorn

A highly authentic novel written by a vietnam war veteran. I couldn't put it down.

All books by Bernard Cornwell. Especially the Sharpe series.

Also Frank Herbert's Dune.

I wasn't a fan of McNab's fiction stuff personally. All of his non-fiction is worth reading though. If I remember rightly I found Immediate Action to be quite similar to Seven Troop, but I could be wrong.

Seven Troop was my favourite, closely followed by the ubiquitous Bravo-Two-Zero.

Due to the higher authenticity I also rather tend towards the "non-fiction" corner.

I also like how B20 can be transferred to OA ^^

I guess I'll give it a read then.

Thanks mates!

Due to the higher authenticity I also rather tend towards the "non-fiction" corner.

That's what makes Matterhorn so awesome. It doesn't feel like fiction but rather like reading a more authentic generation kill ;)

Fahrenheit 451 is great. Also Jesse Venturas "American Conspiracies" was interesting and if you really wanna Delve into the dirty deeds "63 Documents the Government doesn't want you to read". Also Tom Clancy books are a great read. I know some people who say that for him to just be writing Fiction he knows too much and gets really close to home when you cut some things out of his stories. And theres always where the red fern grows,Old yeller and whatnot.

Hi all

Well worth a read is "This Game of Ghosts" By Joe Simpson who also wrote "Touching the Void."

Any one who has lived in such an environment will recognise the often matter of fact and sudden mortality it describes. It is amazing how quickly the names and circumstances you can tick off on your fingers stack up, so that nothing is left just the tick on the finger and a dimly remembered expression or the sound of a voice.

The book is honest about the reality.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
spelling

Dragonseed was the 1st book by Pearl S. Buck i read, very catchy, and imho everyone can learn something from her books.

Following i read East Wind:West Wind & The Good Earth which also were truly worthwile and recommendable.

Waiting to get my hands on more, since a few years..

Need i recommend Moby Dick & Dracula too?

Books always surpass their hearsay counterparts :)

Nice, ordered this. Sounds similar to 13 Things That Don't Make Sense by Michael Brooks, another good read.

How fooking random, i'm not a great reader, but ended up in A&E today and a kid walks in and sits down and pulls out a book to read and its that one lol

Chances of that ey?! Worth a read, has some interesting subjects and the author has a good way of getting the concepts and his own opinion across. Hope your trip to A&E wasn't serious. Or cider related. :p

Fire Strike 7/9 by Damien Lewis

The story of JTAC Paul Grahame's 6 month tour in Helmand, Afghanistan.

One of those books you just can't put down. The JTAC is in a unique position. He is at a crux between the ordinary soldier, the officers, air assets and high command. I can't think of anyone who has a better view of the battlefield. Engaged by Taliban artillery, ambushed many times, includes the rare use of 'Broken Arrow' protocols. His story about battling a severe case of diarrhoea when a female Sky journalist sits down beside him in the communal toilet is a classic. There is a great deal of 'idea material' in here for mission makers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Strike-7-Paul-Grahame/dp/0091938066

Desert of Death by Leo Docherty

Worth reading for an opposing view is the tale of Captain Docherty. Docherty is a linguist and performs interpreting and liaison tasks in Helmand in 2006, spending much time with Afghan locals. I'm not sure I agree with everything he thinks but much of it is valid, he appears very bitter about his experiences. He takes a particularly narrow view and excludes the drug business/international element in the whole Afghan problem. The book could have had more content and seems to reach an abrupt conclusion. Worth the read though as books like Fire Strike 7/9 are just a tad too army PC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Death-Soldiers-Journey-Afghanistan/dp/057123688X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328548291&sr=1-1

Edited by PELHAM

Fire Strike 7/9 by Damien Lewis

The story of JTAC Paul Grahame's 6 month tour in Helmand, Afghanistan.

One of those books you just can't put down. The JTAC is in a unique position. He is at a crux between the ordinary soldier, the officers, air assets and high command. I can't think of anyone who has a better view of the battlefield. Engaged by Taliban artillery, ambushed many times, includes the rare use of 'Broken Arrow' protocols. His story about battling a severe case of diarrhoea when a female Sky journalist sits down beside him in the communal toilet is a classic. There is a great deal of 'idea material' in here for mission makers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Strike-7-Paul-Grahame/dp/0091938066

Sounds great PELHAM, is this part (Engaged by Taliban Artillery) serious though, I've never heard of the taliban using artillery much less affording it and being able to use it accurately.

;2102561']Sounds great PELHAM' date=' is this part (Engaged by Taliban Artillery) serious though, I've never heard of the taliban using artillery much less affording it and being able to use it accurately.[/quote']

Yes it's serious, B-11 107mm and B-10 82mm guns, 120mm mortars, 107/122mm rockets launched from tripods etc. The fire was very accurate and although they took out several mortars and mortar crews the large B-11 wasn't found on his watch. It was carried in sections through underground tunnels into the green zone and fired from a concealed position. If you go over to LiveLeak and search for RG-31 or B10 you will see some American video of what it's like to be on the receiving end of the smaller gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-11_recoilless_rifle

A dud 120mm mortar round with M4 for scale.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhHd8R3y9bT0xz3fZAvb_GIO8aCsVBR6dxpxL6A6Sy0exjoOm9KEHPHDiP

Edited by PELHAM

"The Fourth Protocol" by Frederick Forsythe. Great read, tho a little harsh at start - a lot of details explantation. But as it moves on, it becomes waaaay faster and well... simply epic. "Just" a great "spy" plot set in the 70's. Great atmosphere and it's pretty realistic, not the James Bond stuff.

Also, did anyone mentioned legendary "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller? If You liked the (equally legendary) Top Secret humour, You'll love this.

1) Master and Margerita - Bulhakov,

2) "Idiot" and "Crime and Punishment" - Dostoevsky,

3) Quo Vadis - Sienkiewicz

Currently I´m reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" but I guess its better known as "Game of Thrones" by R.R. Martin.

Embarrassingly Im hooked on the show :blush: