Sign in to follow this  
Sylle

Paintkit for light, medium and Heavy helicopter

Hi guys,

It would be great if BIS could provide us with a Paintkit to repaint the default choppers.

Nothing fancy, a simple all-white livery texture would already be really great!

I made one myself for the light helicopter but it's a lot of work. As the parts to paint for the medium and heavy helicopter are scattered over multiple files, I'm reluctant to go through the process of creating a Paintkit from scratch again for these two models.

Looking at some of the curvy liveries BIS provided us with, I guess they have something similar to a Paintkit to their disposition.

It would be fantastic if a cleaned-up version would be made available to the community (fairly common practice in the Microsoft flight sim world)...

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Sylvain

Sweet Idea ! Isn't the training light chopper 400 all white ever?

I believe the “light chopper 400†uses in essence the RGB colour sliders to get near white, the CO/CA (defuse) type main texture is then omitted but the normal maps etc and above are still used to perturb the “white†coloured polys/normals/etc of the base modal.

As they have used render to texture function in e.g. 3dsmax they have most likely used compositing (like layers in paintshop/photoshop) but they are layers of textures and fx which are then rendered out to a unified texture (like when layers are merged into a single layer), but it’s done in the 3d app and not a 2d app, so a “paintkit†would likely not exist, as its a lot more powerful and easer to do 2d textures in a 3d app, or this is how I have done it for the past >12 years as I am crap at 2d but am good at compositing in 3d

b101_uk is right (again :) )

I searched through all the files of the light helicopter looking for the all white livery of the 400. There isn't any which also led me to the conclusion that for all the RGB colour slider textures, the regular CO main texture is disregarded...

That's why I made my own.

Problem is that for the Medium and the Heavy all various parts are scattered over multiple files. Recreating this from scratch will also cause headaches to get the shading correct for example. It's do-able but it's a LOT more work than for the light.

@b101: You lost me in the second part of your explanation... but it sounds interesting! LOL

I don't have a clue about the 3d app possibilities when it comes to texturing ;)

Cheers,

Sylvain