Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 87816 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

Any commander who leads tanks into urban areas defended by troops with AT weapons and/or armor, especially without dense infantry protection, is asking for trouble. Big trouble. Fleets of armored cars and APCs among clouds of infantry with heli air support is the way to go (if shelling the crap out of the place beforehand is out of the question, e.g. THIS:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c9_1296921854

"... then we are ready to go kill."

I think it is safe to say that those on the receiving end of that MLRS assault are having a very, very bad evening. Few could argue that the U.S. Army is unwilling to put some serious hurt on the enemy. Get some! Not at all a laughing matter.

------------------------------

A recent experience leading a convoy in A2:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2083164#post2083164

Did someone just mention, "...holy crap we're in the lake now"? ;)

------------------------------

Orcinus: I strongly recommend biting the bullet and finishing Harvest Red. It may be painful at times, but it is worth it. War isn't clean, and consider the AI driving/following problems just some of the ugly complications that come with mechanized warfare. Think of General Mud slowing down the German panzer and panzer-grenadier divisions in Russia during Barbarossa! You may get a few gray hairs, but you will be happy with your accomplishment in the end.

-----------------------------

Few are mentioning any problems with the recent betas, and they contain some very important, enlightened improvements. I say get 1.61 out sooner rather than later, or an official hotfix! Pull the trigger! :D

well; this is as close to 'direct fire' with mlrs-type-artillery that we can get:

it has optical sight and is capable of direct fire...still a 1000m would be considered direct fire here.

off course it is vulnerable to return fire due its design and the nature of the enemy being engaged and the tactical situation.

"To enable the rockets to be positioned on the target with greater accuracy, the system is fitted with a computerised fire-control system that includes an optical sight, laser range-finder, cant sensor and an electronic ballistic computer." @ http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1246.html

"The TOS-1 heavy flamethrower system is intended for direct fire support of advancing infantry and main battle tanks, and moves in their combat orders. It is designed to engage military personnel, fortifications and light armored vehicles." @ http://www.military-today.com/artillery/tos1.htm

"The firing weapon must have a sighting device and an unobstructed line of sight to the target, which means no objects or friendly units can be between it and the target. A weapon engaged in direct fire exposes itself to return fire from the target." @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_fire

Congratulations, you are talking about a system that isn´t even in Arma. GRAD and MLRS don´t have direct fire capabilities. Period!

Congratulations, you are talking about a system that isn´t even in Arma. GRAD and MLRS don´t have direct fire capabilities. Period!

Sorry. We were discussing if direct fire mlrs-type existed (not in arma2) and I had read about this TOS-1 some time ago and remembered it because it was quite unique and not very well known.

There is something that people don't get:

When,for example, you have AI as a gunner and then press TAB to lock,it supposes that AI is doing the targetting procedure and all u have to do is asking him to fire.

Same goes for TANk,helicopters and GRAD or MLRS ...

These are not direct hits :AI calculates angle and set the GRAD so as he could hit the target.

If you don't agree then you will have to ask BIS to get the real thing,i mean all the mechanics that shows the targetting process ie:improved planes cockpits and sights with all TVs and cameras or the whole artillery setup with the mobile command center.

And personally,i feel this is the part that BIS developpers try to avoid (a lot of work and time is needed for that and the product is beyond its maturity state)

Can you stop you whine finally?

That's all i wanted to hear :)

@PvPscene

You're very good at defending the indefensible,and it's useless to make tickets as long as guys like you exist ...

ENd;

Hope this isn't the wrong thread...

I noticed in this beta that, having pre-set my group into 2 teams (in the editor), after switching briefly to a civilian observer to see how a DAC spawn zone was working, on switching back the teams had been merged and the ability to re-assign teams was lost. The team menu options are greyed out.

Ran some tests with just 2 BLUFOR groups in the editor, one leader as player, the other as playable. Switching to the second team, found the menu 9 options greyed out; switching back, similar loss of team-assignment.

Checked in 1.60 official and A2 1.12, same thing. Whatever you do, & however you set it up, team-switching means complete loss of the ability to split any group into fire-teams.

I can't find anything on dev-heaven about this. I can understand that maybe an AI leader would issue regroup orders once the player switches away, but why can the player no longer split any group after a switch? Is this a feature, or a bug?

BR

Orcinus

OK, tested again after a complete machine reboot for other reasons - problem no longer there. Must have been some temporary glitch.

BR

Orcinus

Edited by Orcinus
Additional information

@PvPscene

You're very good at defending the indefensible,and it's useless to make tickets as long as guys like you exist ...

ENd;

Come on, you know he is right. Admit it already ... ;). The new systems works great.

Hope this isn't the wrong thread...

I noticed in this beta that, having pre-set my group into 2 teams (in the editor), after switching briefly to a civilian observer to see how a DAC spawn zone was working, on switching back the teams had been merged and the ability to re-assign teams was lost. The team menu options are greyed out.

Ran some tests with just 2 BLUFOR groups in the editor, one leader as player, the other as playable. Switching to the second team, found the menu 9 options greyed out; switching back, similar loss of team-assignment.

Checked in 1.60 official and A2 1.12, same thing. Whatever you do, & however you set it up, team-switching means complete loss of the ability to split any group into fire-teams.

I can't find anything on dev-heaven about this. I can understand that maybe an AI leader would issue regroup orders once the player switches away, but why can the player no longer split any group after a switch? Is this a feature, or a bug?

BR

Orcinus

Are you by any chance using ASR_AI mod by Robalo? With this one small groups or individuals may join other groups.

@PvPscene

ENd;

Now that is really inexcusable. Even a noob like me knows that PvPScene has contributed a huge amount to this community.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Are you by any chance using ASR_AI mod by Robalo? With this one small groups or individuals may join other groups.

Nope, the 2-group tests were on Utes with vanilla CO / A2.

Maybe I wasn't clear, if so apologies. The 2 editor-placed groups remain separate.

The problem is that as commander of either group, once the player switches to the other group, both playable commanders lose the option to split their group into fire-teams. In short, switching a team just once seems to permanently disable the team menu (menu9).

BR

Orcinus

Now that is really inexcusable. Even a noob like me knows that PvPScene has contributed a huge amount to this community.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Nope, the 2-group tests were on Utes with vanilla CO / A2.

Maybe I wasn't clear, if so apologies. The 2 editor-placed groups remain separate.

The problem is that as commander of either group, once the player switches to the other group, both playable commanders lose the option to split their group into fire-teams. In short, switching a team just once seems to permanently disable the team menu (menu9).

BR

Orcinus

Oops, thanx for clarifying this. I never use team switch ...

PvPscene's notoriety has some limits :)

We all have something we're good at and no one can beat us in it,but recognizing facts and admitting the truth is priceless.

Now,what PvPscene is approving is the following:

Making a vehicle that has no function unless it has the Artillery computer,knowing that it has 40 (120mm ?) in the back ...

Btw,i use a lot of things made by Mr Pvpscene ...

The truth is you abused the GRAD and MLRS. That's fine by me as that is how PvP play works.

However you fail to accept that the abuse is no longer available. That's all.

I don't mind the change to the Commander position issuing all vehicle orders, but I have always used the driver position to command the tank as I hate the constant commander verbal prattle (i.e., foward, fast, slow, turn left, turn right). I woudn't mind so much if this communication was just reduced sound (rather than full vocal orders which would be needed outside the vehicle) as these are internal vehicle radio commands. No matter, AI vehicle path finding is still poor and needs to be improved closer to IRL. Also needed is the fix to destroy MGs, like KORDS. One would assume that a well placed HE round would take out the gunner manning the gun position rather than the vehicle gunner shooting multiple SABOT/AP rounds trying to disable a gun.

Edited by Gremlin

The truth is you abused the GRAD and MLRS. That's fine by me as that is how PvP play works.

However you fail to accept that the abuse is no longer available. That's all.

Yes,and i expressed my disagreement.

And sorry if my statements are a bit harsh,besides ,there are some bugs that should be addressed first before we can use this new system starting by the one in which ai will engage ennemy vehicles manned by friendlies (feel free to make the ticket )

All these changes are made to reduce the powr of the "TAB" system ,but unless BIS proposes an alternative it will be useless.

You can still assign targets as commander / group leader even when locking (Tab or direct click) is disabled.

Gremlin if you do driver, the AI gunner acts own his own now. Or by the AI commander.

And you can still switch to commander position any moment as group leader / if the AI is under your command / if you got in as commander.

I'm actually surprised people still use that addon as I have yet to update it for the weapons OA added! Maybe I'll do that now... :cool:

... and you did, by the following day! I just found the 8 Jan 2012 update on Armaholic :biggrin:

Thanks, Zipper5 - really appreciate this.

BR

Orcinus

Assume nothing ... you won't be disappointed then.

Lol! your so right it's sad!

You can still assign targets as commander / group leader even when locking (Tab or direct click) is disabled.

I guess I missed something. How is target locking disabled? Is that a new feature in recent betas? :confused:

-----------

Edit:

(I guess the disabling of tab locking from driver's position is what is being referred to here.)

Edited by OMAC

Added else where as separate post

Edited by -=seany=-
Placed in separate thread