Sign in to follow this  
Kindling

ARMA2/OA/CO/Demo/Free/TOH on WINE/Linux!

oh, production mean different demands, than performance-only :(

-Os generalized binaries wasn't bad and had quite predictible response.

This is so awesome, I just managed to get a TOH Rearmed 1.06 RC dedicated server running pretty smoothly on Debian! So far no glitches or problems and even Domination2 TOH on Takistan seems to run just great :yay:

Wondering if anyone tried running an Iron Front server yet?

@Kindling: Thank you very much for your work, your headless server minimal install script made this really easy!

Debian rocks, sure. and Debian community - especially.

but basically it had drawbacks, of course. mainly, because most GNU-ish distro on planet[after GLibre, probably ;], its extremely infested by bloatware on appz , system and kernel -levels, which severely affects both performance and security somehow and team keep pulling fat things in :(

especially hate BIND 10, planned to integrate.

actually feature-rich, but w/o sacrificing KISS or common sense -related aspects of distro/repo building

and there is source-based distros - leading, IMO.

**SOLVED**

Turned out I managed to accidentally load the beta version instead of the main version. Loaded the normal version of oa and everything started to work. Thanks for the guide!

I'm having an issue with running this under wine. I'm using playonlinux with wine version 1.5.9-raw3. When I launch original arma2, it runs fine, but when I try to run operation arrowhead, it comes up with the message "No entry .profilePathDefault" and if I click ok, a menu with no text appears (and also appears to ignore my arguments, as it loads way too fast).

The menu looks like this:

screenshotfrom201208020.png

I also noticed that instead of creating a folder for the profile called Arma2 like it's supposed to, it creates what looks to be a profile with my username and a . (such as d10sfan.) instead of d10sfan.Arma2Profile and it is directly inside the Documents folder,not creating its own folder.

Thanks for the guide, hope there's a way to fix this.

Edited by d10sfan

Wow, that's pretty strange. It looks like the game is missing all the assets, strings, models etc. - my guess is that you're launching a shortcut with an incorrect working directory, or launching the exe with no working directory. Try this: click 'Configure' in PlayOnLinux, choose your prefix from the list and select Miscellaneous tab and 'Open Shell'. Use cd 'Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/arma\ 2\ operation\ arrowhead' or similar to navigate to the actual ARMA 2 OA folder and then start the game manually from there using 'wine Expansion/beta/arma2oa.exe' - not sure if it'll start up in full CO mode, but it'll be good just to check if that's the problem. I use a bash script to basically automate these commands to start the beta, renaming the batch script that Steam includes with OA doesn't work for me.

According to this post on the Iron Front forums, it's perfectly possible. I'll add this info to the thread alongside the fact that the TOH server works, too :)

EDIT: Got a new card, an AMD Radeon 6990 - perfect opportunity to test ARMA II under WINE with a Radeon! Added tips for optimization for server and client.

Edited by Kindling

**SOLVED**

Turned out I managed to accidentally load the beta version instead of the main version. Loaded the normal version of oa and everything started to work. Thanks for the guide!

I'm having an issue with running this under wine. I'm using playonlinux with wine version 1.5.9-raw3. When I launch original arma2, it runs fine, but when I try to run operation arrowhead, it comes up with the message "No entry .profilePathDefault" and if I click ok, a menu with no text appears (and also appears to ignore my arguments, as it loads way too fast).

The menu looks like this:

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. o_O

I also noticed that instead of creating a folder for the profile called Arma2 like it's supposed to, it creates what looks to be a profile with my username and a . (such as d10sfan.) instead of d10sfan.Arma2Profile and it is directly inside the Documents folder,not creating its own folder.

Thanks for the guide, hope there's a way to fix this.

I had such problem when I run beta patch. You can run game with beta patch with such script (you need to run beta-executable from main Arma 2 folder, not from "beta" folder):

#!/bin/bash

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/DayZ_wine-1.5.11/DayZ_Prefix  #wineprefix location
WINEXE=$HOME/DayZ_wine-1.5.11/bin/wine               #location of wine executable

cd "/home/sirakuzi/DayZ_wine-1.5.11/DayZ_Prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Bohemia Interactive/ArmA 2/"
$WINEXE ./Expansion/beta/arma2oa.exe

I also have a problem and come here for help. I want to play Day Z mod with my PC running ArchLinux and nVidia GTX 260, but usually I have a crit error. I wrote my problem at WineHQ forums, but had no answer: forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17169

How I installed a game: First I made wine with raw3.patch (I tried 1.5.9 and 1.5.11), next I configured wineprefix with d3dx9 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 corefonts. Then I installed Arma II, Arma II Operation Arrowhead, ARMA2OA_Update_160.exe, ARMA2OA_Update_162.exe and ARMA2_OA_Build_96751.exe. After this I copy Day Z mod files to "ArmA 2\@DayZ\Addons" and run game with script that I posted at first part of my post. Practically each time game crashes in menu, but if you connect to server fast you can run a game itself. Game itself also make same crits, but not so often, maximum play time was about 50-60 minutes before I had crit error, minimal ~1 minute.

Here are two full logs of game launching:

pastebin.com/3k6wqNJc

pastebin.com/v3nD1K4R

I had same crit error without Day Z mod, only with Arma II: OA, so I think that's not Day Z bug. I think guy that made comment at the bottom of this page: appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iAppId=12569&iVersionId=25096&iThreadId=78159 had the same problem. And MaskedTurk from post #27 of this topic also. Thank you for your future help.

Well, you'll be pretty unlikely to get help from WineHQ as custom configurations of this type (with 3rd-party patches) are unsupported, there, for good reason. Looking at your compile logs on the WineHQ thread, though, it seems a mesa/opengl related library was missing, libOSmesa. I suggest you recompile with this, gstreamer and opencl installed on your system.

I've seen crashes like that very occasionally, myself - unfortunately, I've not been able to track them down to any specific component, yet. There's not really enough in your debug log to figure out what the problem is, either. Have you considered getting in touch with these other people that are experiencing the same issues and together submitting a bug entry to the community tracker? Be sure to specify that you are using WINE.

The latest git version of WINE now includes a rawinput implementation of it's own, so we should be able to drop the requirement to compile raw3 in, soon. I've got a couple of performance issues with ARMA under WINE on my Radeon, but if I can mitigate them I'll do some testing with the latest versions.

Thanks for the detailed howto, running Arma on linux is dream come true.

I don't know why but I just can't stand working in windows anymore. I feel so limited and get so irritated when running windows that it very quickly becomes impossible to get any work done. It even ruins my mood for gaming. I don't recall it bothering me this much in the win2k/xp days. Back then I got irritated, but now it has evolved into revulsion. Guess FOSS has grown on me, or I strongly react to the idea of being limited.

Back on topic.

I can confirm that the current Wine-version doesn't need the rawinput patch anymore. Did a short test on my gentoo-system and Arma2CO runs fairly well. Can't seem to figure out how to install the DLC's, is there some trick to it?

Biggest framerate improvement for me with a nvidia 560 gtx videocard was to turn off vsync in the driver and in the game options. This more than doubled performance eventhough I wasn't even hitting 60 fps. Just noticed that Nvidia vsync behaves rather differently in linux than it does in windows for me. In linux my framerates are either 30 or 60 fps with vsync on, while in windows I've only seen the top limit.

Please do submit a report to the AppDB with that info :)

I'm going to run some tests of my own again, soon. I'm thinking that the issues may be related to crossfire, so I'm going to try both with crossfire explicitely on and off, alongside a variety of different graphical settings.

Well, you'll be pretty unlikely to get help from WineHQ as custom configurations of this type (with 3rd-party patches) are unsupported, there, for good reason. Looking at your compile logs on the WineHQ thread, though, it seems a mesa/opengl related library was missing, libOSmesa. I suggest you recompile with this, gstreamer and opencl installed on your system.

I've seen crashes like that very occasionally, myself - unfortunately, I've not been able to track them down to any specific component, yet. There's not really enough in your debug log to figure out what the problem is, either. Have you considered getting in touch with these other people that are experiencing the same issues and together submitting a bug entry to the community tracker? Be sure to specify that you are using WINE.

The latest git version of WINE now includes a rawinput implementation of it's own, so we should be able to drop the requirement to compile raw3 in, soon. I've got a couple of performance issues with ARMA under WINE on my Radeon, but if I can mitigate them I'll do some testing with the latest versions.

Thank you for your answer, I tried Arma II + Day Z with new wine 1.5.13 (without compiling from sources, just Arma's own wineprefix), and it works! But I havn't sound in game :) in winecfg "Test sound" works, but in game - not. xact installed, I tried to override x3daudio1_6 in winecfg, I installed lib32-alsa-lib, lib32-libpulse, lib32-alsa-oss, lib32-openal, but that's also have no effect. I use PulseAudio because I use bluetooth headphones with Skype, but I think it's not PulseAudio fault.

I've had similar difficulties myself, in the past. Have you tried downloading winetricks?

Try downloading winetricks from www.winetricks.org and install dsound and xact into ARMA II's prefix. If that fails, you can try using it to switch to ALSA mode sound for WINE and adjusting the in game sound settings.

I've had similar difficulties myself, in the past. Have you tried downloading winetricks?

Try downloading winetricks from www.winetricks.org and install dsound and xact into ARMA II's prefix. If that fails, you can try using it to switch to ALSA mode sound for WINE and adjusting the in game sound settings.

Of course I use winetricks :) I tried to install dsound (I already have xact), but this makes no effect. Also I had sound when I made wine from sources. I understand that wine maked from sources is 32-bit, but current wine is 64-bit, so I reinstalled Arma 2 in 32-bit wineprefix:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/sirakuzi/DayZ32/ winecfg

Install Arma 2 + Arma 2: OA + DayZ, and after that sound works perfect :) Thank you for your help!

Also I tried to install DayZ Commander with dotnet40, but it fault to start.

Its a shame we wont be able to play ArmA3 with Wine, since BIS for whatever reason hates OpenGL since ArmA1.

Hi,

did anyone try to run WineArma on radeon open source driver? I expect poor performance, I just want to evaluate how it will run.

Currently I'm stuck on 'DXT1..DXT5 support missing' error message. I suspect it has something to do with missing S3TC support in radeon driver. I managed to compile&install missing library, but mentioned error message is still there. Anyone experienced this?

Note that I did not check if s3tc library is successfully loaded (by glxinfo) yet, had to go to work. I'm just asking for hints before reinventing the wheel ;)

UPDATE: I managed to overcome S3TC problem, I forgot to update ldcache after installing 32bit s3tc library. Now Arma starts intro and then crashes somewhere in ntdll.dll. Investigating...

UPDATE2: Now is probably good time to specify details:

Arma itself runs from mounted ntfs partition, same installation (except conf files) is used under windows to regular play. Using tbb4 malloc.

Wine version is 1.5.13, distro openSUSE 12.2, Mesa 8.0.4, kernel 3.4.6 for now (I'm using Tumbleweed repo, so I expect an upgrade as soon as 3.6 is out)

HWspect: C2Q 9550, 8GB RAM, HD4850 gpu (using R600 radeon driver)

UPDATE3: Just to check whether ntfs under wine is not to blame I downloaded A2OA demo and installed under Wine to native btrfs partition. Still crashing right after BIS spash.

Backtrace:

=>0 0x09c3a070 (0x0ad9e94c)
1 0x09c390cf (0x0ad9ea0c)
2 0x09c3a142 (0x0ad9ea18)
3 0x7bc77c50 call_thread_func_wrapper+0xb() in ntdll (0x0ad9ea28)
4 0x7bc7aa2d call_thread_func+0x7c() in ntdll (0x0ad9eaf8)
5 0x7bc77c2e RtlRaiseException+0x21() in ntdll (0x0ad9eb18)
6 0x7bc807e9 in ntdll (+0x707e8) (0x0ad9f368)
7 0xf759ee32 start_thread+0xe1() in libpthread.so.0 (0x0ad9f468)
8 0xf74dc8ee __clone+0x5d() in libc.so.6 (0x00000000)
9 0xf74dc8ee __clone+0x5d() in libc.so.6 (0x00000000)

Edited by LkFp

Its a shame we wont be able to play ArmA3 with Wine, since BIS for whatever reason hates OpenGL since ArmA1.

find us OpenGL genius who want work on BI ... and tell him to send us (me) CV :) ...

find us OpenGL genius who want work on BI ... and tell him to send us (me) CV :) ...

Lol.

Seems that Valve beat you to it, apparently with some help from phoronix.com they've hired a couple of guys that managed to write a directx-wrapper for opengl that outperforms the native directx version and they improved the directx-engine while they were at it.

Couldn't hurt to send phoronix an e-mail asking if there are any leftover opengl-geniuses in the Europe area who're scared of flying.

Edited by DualJoe

Lol.

Seems that Valve beat you to it, apparently with some help from phoronix.com they've hired a couple of guys that managed to write a directx-wrapper for opengl that outperforms the native directx version and they improved the directx-engine while they were at it.

Couldn't hurt to send phoronix an e-mail asking if there are any leftover opengl-geniuses in the Europe area who're scared of flying.

we dont know that yet,if its better, they only are setting up a beta now for linux AND Valve was a OGL house to begin with. OGL is way behind due to the way they ok stuff thru comity. And when and if Halflife 3 comes out, will it be just another DX9 source, or will it be DX11(which OGL isnt setup for yet..). Then there is just how much bigger valve is with there cash cow Steam(billion$) over time. Last but not least Linux is only 1% of all gaming.

Last but not least Linux is only 1% of all gaming.

Well that's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. No games for linux means no linux gamers percentage. However things seem to be shifting lately.

I may not be impartial, I most certainly like gnu/linux a lot more than OSX or windows, but I am in the market for linux games.

I've got a counter for that 1% thing. Piracy on linux seems to be virtually non existant and not just because linux-users aren't willing to pay. The statistics from humblebundle, as well as others suggest that the average linux users tend to be willing to pay more for a game than those on the other 2 major platforms. If you combine that with a comfortably larger user-base than OSX and with the alleged percentage of non-paying gamers on windows, the potential market could very well prove to be less insignificant.

Guess Valve will try to prove that once and for all. Too bad it's with a zombie-shooter, seems to be a rather popular these days.

As for the technical difficulties, I'm not a programmer so I've got no idea about the things DX11 can do that Opengl can't. From a user perspective I can't see any differences with the crossplatform opengl or dx11 in the floating rock benchmark with the weird name I can't remember right now.

I can say that linux offers a lot more options out of the box than windows does and I can imagine real advantages for cpu and storage intensive things like Arma. In all my tests sofar Linux has been so much faster than windows on the same machine with anything requiring a bit of memory,disk-transfer or cpu-power that I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. We're not talking about the silly minuscule percentage differences here as where hardware reviewers would throw hissy-fits. Loading times in Wine are a fraction as on the exact same pc and game in windows. Unless you play from the ntfs-disk of course.

I'd love to make a cluster of pc's on my lan to share the load for playing arma. Something like a renderfarm for arma, an armafarm.

Damn I'm way past my bedtime, dreaming of electric arma-sheep already and rambling on like I always do when I'm dead tired.

Edited by DualJoe

Oh, come on, OpenGL can't be that hard. I looked at it a bit myself. And for what I know OpenGL and DirectX tend to be more or less equivalent. I bet that if you know DirectX OpenGL is a piece of cake.

Finally managed to get it working, sort of. Problem is I don't exactly remember what every step leaded to this state. :)

I suspect (as I wasn't using PoL) that corefonts are required. So using Wine 1.5.14 + XAct + corefonts + d3dx9 does 'work' for me. Also yesterday I also upgraded to 3.6.0-rc7 kernel, so maybe also some changes in radeon.

Current state is that Arma loads up and I can move freely in game world. Majority of textures aren't loaded. Sound does not work. Didn't try network yet. Overall it is far from playable but given that Arma is loading from NTFS partition (fuse ntfs3g driver) + radeon opensource driver, I'm very impressed by the Arma`s performance. Loading of Chernarus island even seem quicker then under windows.

Finally managed to get it working, sort of. Problem is I don't exactly remember what every step leaded to this state. :)

I suspect (as I wasn't using PoL) that corefonts are required. So using Wine 1.5.14 + XAct + corefonts + d3dx9 does 'work' for me. Also yesterday I also upgraded to 3.6.0-rc7 kernel, so maybe also some changes in radeon.

Current state is that Arma loads up and I can move freely in game world. Majority of textures aren't loaded. Sound does not work. Didn't try network yet. Overall it is far from playable but given that Arma is loading from NTFS partition (fuse ntfs3g driver) + radeon opensource driver, I'm very impressed by the Arma`s performance. Loading of Chernarus island even seem quicker then under windows.

That's actually very, very impressive for the open source radeon driver. What card do you have?

And WINE has never really performed well from an NTFS-formatted partition. You really should look at copying it over to a BTRFS or ext4 one :)

I have old ASUS EAH4850, which is a little modified AMD HD4850 design. I'll try and record video how it looks once I get home from work.

Yea, once I get it to be playable in multiplayer, I'll move it away from NTFS. Now it is more like a tech demo.

Here is how it looks like in current state

uSxr2GXnb_g

Loading time was quite slow this time. Maybe because of video recording, I didn't investigate further.

Actual game is loaded in 3:00.

Maybe it's issue with S3TC, I'll also try to disable various d3dx overrides in winecfg.