Nicholas

ArmA: Cold War Assault on Android / iOS

ArmA: Cold War Assault on Android / iOS?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. ArmA: Cold War Assault on Android / iOS?

• Yes
    • No (Explain)
    • Maybe (Explain)

Rockstar Games recently released Grand Theft Auto III onto Android and iOS devices. The game was released in 2001. Operation Flashpoint, now ArmA: Cold War Assault, was also released in 2001.

I think if Rockstar Games managed to get GTA III, an open-world game, onto tablets and phones, Bohemia Interactive could try the same with ArmA: Cold War Assault. The ASUS Transformer Prime was also released recently, it features the NVIDIA Tegra 3, a quad core processor...for phones and tablets. It's amazing how far technology has come since 2001. What was once stuck sitting on our desks, can now fit into the palm of our hand.

I believe with some effort, Bohemia Interactive could get ArmA: Cold War Assault onto phones and tablets.

What do you think?

• Like 2

It probably would kill the battery of my Galaxy S2 in no time, but yeah I would like to have that. :)

• Like 2

That depends.

GTA3 has an extremely limited open world since it can only render a few boxy buildings and about 15-20 mindless bots at the same time - due to hard limitations of PS2 hardware

OFP is a PC game which has extremely large areas, advanced AI and calculates everything all the time everywhere (unlike GTA3 which handles only 50m of game world around you at any one time with "AI" that only knows basic pathfinding and nothing else).

If current "phones" could handle something like OFP I would be really impressed.

• Like 1

Windows Phone, for me (might be easier if it ends up being based on Windows 8, as has been rumored).

Windows Phone, for me (might be easier if it ends up being based on Windows 8, as has been rumored).

I also have a Windows Phone 7.5 (HTC Surround), but plan to get a good Android phone when my plan is up, now that Google has patched up the fragmentation a bit. I had an Android phone before my windows phone and I hated it, it was so fragmented and there weren't many apps that worked well on my device, so I switched to Windows Phone 7 as soon as I could. I'm also going to be getting an ASUS Transformer Prime whenever they become available, currently they are in such high demand that I probably won't get one until February.

Windows Phone 7.5 is a great operating system, but I am actually a Google person (I use Gmail, Google Docs, Calendat...etc) and it would work better for me.

It would be great to see OFP on next gen Android devices.

No for phone:

-Everything would be too tiny to see past 50m

-Way too many controls for a small touch screen, making playing tedious or cripled

-Performance

-Everything would have to be made and redesigned from scratch to work around such limitations

-Very low marketability compared to GTA

No for tablet version:

-You might as well play on a laptop and get much better controls

No for phone:

-Everything would be too tiny to see past 50m

-Way too many controls for a small touch screen, making playing tedious or cripled

-Performance

-Everything would have to be made and redesigned from scratch to work around such limitations

-Very low marketability compared to GTA

No for tablet version:

-You might as well play on a laptop and get much better controls

My thoughts exactly.

Also, from all the games I tried on cellphones, besides those which controls solely rely on the direction arrows + an action key, feel too complex for such a tiny display.

One good example of that is Dead Space, which had to be remastered to function in iOs without crippling gameplay.

My droidx2 ( which is already a year old) is faster, has more memory and better graphics than the first pc I played ofp on, so it's possible... but controls would be very difficult to implement.

I'd still give bohemia 8 bucks for it though :P

• Like 1

Original code of OFP contains many:

*Hard-coded optimizations on ASM

​*Is need fully rewrite of render code

*Code is not fully friendly for programmer

No way because:

-too complicated controls for touch screen

-too small screen

-too much resources needed for good performance (yes, OFP still lags on modern desktop PCs in many situations)