Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² : Demo³

It's not meant to have factions that weren't in the original OFP campaign. Meant to directly reflect that storyline and the groups in the original series. It's done that way to pay tribute to the game that spawned this community.

I should have been more clear with my question :). What I ment to ask are ever going to see offical addons to CWR2? Since CWR2 is the definitive cold war mod for ARMA 2 it could benefit from small additions like Polish or West German units. Just like OA has Czech and German units to increase variety.

Nevertheless I'm enjoying CWR2 very much, so thank you for your efforts :).

Personally, I am of two minds on this subject.

It would be pretty neat to have 'DLCs' for CWR2 with different factions and such. However, despite the talented people working with us, I don't know if we have the manpower to commit to anything- especially something as big as additional factions. I have a couple of things on the backburner than might be interesting to add to the 80s era setting, but those are nowhere even close to being complete addons. I guess it seems doubtful, but who knows that the future might bring?

Any disturbance of 'vanilla content' is a bug. Plain, simple, and unacceptable. They don't exist:rolleyes: When they do exist please report them on our bug tracker at

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cwr2-cbt/issues

Any disturbance of anyone else's mod or addon is also a bug. Understandably, there might be some leeway here where we simply cannot get round some mutually exclusive (or poorly put together) 3rd party addon. But we also take all reports of this type of 'bug' seriously and make every effort to accommodate. Please report them too.

As of this posted date, I am unaware of any incompatibilities in this regard.

Dont know if this is a bug but it can be disturbing, CWR vehicles are spawned by BIS vehicle module. I had CWR enabled and my friend didnt, I could see cars from CWR that he couldnt. The solution was simple, I disabled CWR. I hosted the MP session locally. Is it enough for a ticket or is it better to stick to the old rule to have similar setups in MP?

It would be pretty neat to have 'DLCs' for CWR2 with different factions and such. However, despite the talented people working with us, I don't know if we have the manpower to commit to anything- especially something as big as additional factions. I have a couple of things on the backburner than might be interesting to add to the 80s era setting, but those are nowhere even close to being complete addons.

I think that's a great attitude, i.e. let's stay focused on getting the campaign out of the door and, if and when we have resources the "DLCs" can be developed at a later stage

Avoiding mission creep is vital. Too many mods fall victim to it...

let's stay focused on getting the campaign out of the door and, if and when we have resources the "DLCs" can be developed at a later stage

Avoiding mission creep is vital. Too many mods fall victim to it...

What Domokun said.

FA7C87F7F39B98D86178941FF0277B69CE7EDD9E

I also put quite a bit of work into the way the helicopter works in the game. Much of this time was devoted to doing what I could with the helicopter's instruments and systems.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210618650929/A2B77D876A1394DC9612C92EBBAB7EA89959182B/ > 100KB

Many of the instruments that ArmA 2 has controllers for are multi-stage in the real helicopter. What I mean by that they have different rotational rates depending on what it's reading. For instance, the airspeed meter doesn't read much below 20, with the most space devoted to between 20 and 100 knots. Some of these instruments are designed to compliment each other, for instance the radar altimeter is for low altitude stuff close the terrain, and the pressure altimeter for more higher altitude stuff. The way they read reflects these functions. I took the time to make sure that these instruments read correctly, so when the AHI reads 60 degrees, you are pitching up at 60 degrees. When the low airspeed meter (the little crosshairs, which are only partially working unfortunately) is reading 30 knots, you are travelling at 30 knots. In the above screen you will notice some slightly odd artifacts that I will try to clean up by the next release. I'm also tweaking the materials and I think the effect I have here (while too shiny) is an improvement over what I showed before.

lights.jpg

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210618482290/5253ADC920835EFD1FFD6D2091D3EAEC6CAB41A7/ > 100 KB

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210618515071/9F16D4BFF9D7627EA228DB370ED0180B701071CA/ > 100 KB

The Ah-1F has no night vision equipment save for night vision goggles for the crew. It actually has night vision goggle bags on the floor beneath the seats (which I did not model). Unfortunately, these goggles are not compatible with with gunner's Telescopic Sight Unit. There are actually warnings in the manuals to not attempt to use the night vision goggles with the TSU because you will scratch the lenses. Because of this, the helicopter is not cleared for night fighting, and has limited night flight capability. In order to give the helicopter some semblance of night capability for human gunners, and to make use of the aimable landing light, I decided to slave the light to the gunner's turret. It is my hope that giving the control of the landing light to the gunner gives players some interesting team work opportunities.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210628362666/5A5FC8C8F530D4821A1B022713F66AA19BEADFF5/ > 100 KB

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210628361076/FF9A67454DAEE7EDEB3A434B5785AC31381DA2DB/ > 100 KB

The gunner's optics reticles are functional. The circle in the centre of the wide FOV represents the approximate FOV of the narrow one.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210618653557/6CD71B317D89BD0086C2116B37A210DB063B6592/ > 100 KB

The TOW missiles can be guided by the gunner without a missile lock :). The capabilities are quite exaggerated compared to the real thing, though. Notice the 'radar' in the top left. I'm looking some 60 degrees off centre. The real TOW system constraints are outlined by the two boxes on pilot's HUD.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506891210627264615/4166B845DC38BBBBAF49F35C6CB2D28B97C5CED1/ > 100 KB

I hope you enjoyed another look at the design of my AH1 addon :)

Edited by Max Power

Very nice read!

Does the radar altimeter go to 0 when the helicopter is banking/pitching too much? I don't know whether the real one does tho. Just remember that random fact from Lock On :)

Now I've got to try those TOWs :D

This level of detail is awesome. You really put some time and energy into this.

Slaving the searchlight to the gunner optics is a great idea.

Great work on the mod.

One question. Is it possible to release that outstanding Cobra as a standalone addon?

Very nice read!

Does the radar altimeter go to 0 when the helicopter is banking/pitching too much? I don't know whether the real one does tho. Just remember that random fact from Lock On :)

Now I've got to try those TOWs :D

The animation is only tied to ArmA's radar altimeter animation controller. I don't think that depends on the bank angle at all.

This level of detail is awesome. You really put some time and energy into this.

Slaving the searchlight to the gunner optics is a great idea.

I hope that it is useful to someone for something. If someone uses it to blind someone else in PVP, I want to know about it!

Great work on the mod.

One question. Is it possible to release that outstanding Cobra as a standalone addon?

There are no plans to release any of the addons in CWR2 as stand alone, AFAIK.

Wow guys nice mod ! I just came back to play some, unfortunately I only bought OA...wasn't sure how much I would play. Appears less than I expected

Congrats on release this is really amazing it feels like a new game all over again,many thanks.er just one thing is it possible to add passenger positions to the jeep!

Nice Ah 1G :)

leave Gee Corbras for Nam, This has always been Ah-1F.

maxpower its the best addon ever created in the history of arma2ao so real u can feel as if ur in a cobra itself one question though can u add the counter measures flares coz the ah-1f had flares thanx again for ur hard work and the team of cwr2

The real Ah-1F had no flares. The only countermeasures it carried was the IR jammer over the engine and chaff dispensers on the tail. I was going to give it flares but the Ah-1F pilot who was advising me told me not to bother. Plus, I think it gives an important game-play difference between the Ah-1 and the Ah-64. I have put some thought into how to do jammers but the answer is not forthcoming, especially a non-scripted solution.

Edited by Max Power

For the jammer, I wonder if you could have the AH-1 launch invisible flares, i.e. launch flares without any particles and which as soon as they were created were hidden from the game world (I wonder if they would still work). That way, theoretically, the effect would be the same as an AI jammer (missiles are blinded and veer off), but you wouldn't actually see the flares in game. And the same key could be used by users to launch countermeasures but instead of a "pfshhhhh pfshhhhhh" sound of flares, you could have it make a "wowowowowo" sound of a jammer (I have no idea if a jammer makes any sound).

Oh, and I think the diamond patterned ring on the collective is the engine throttle control. No? You twist it from OFF to START to IDLE to FLIGHT or something like that.

The real Ah-1F had no flares. The only countermeasures it carried was the IR jammer over the engine and chaff dispensers on the tail. I was going to give it flares but the Ah-1F pilot who was advising me told me not to bother. Plus, I think it gives an important game-play difference between the Ah-1 and the Ah-64. I have put some thought into how to do jammers but the answer is not forthcoming, especially a non-scripted solution.

I don't know why Floyd would tell not to put on the dispenser. The F model did have a dispenser. The F's he flew in the 1/7th had them before the unit switch to 58D's. I was in the 1/7th before him doing 58C's. It is the M130. It sits on the tail opposite the rotor.

Here is a website showing it. http://incolor.inetnebr.com/iceman/pilot12.htm .

I think you are making a mistake not including it.

The F model also had the AN/AVR-2 Laser Detecting Set.

This you could probably leave off.

Maybe he was talking about the AVR-2?

**Also the only time I saw the Laser Spot Detector (the one in the doghouse) was with the 2ACR in Desert Shield/Storm. They were used in conjunction with the 2ACR 58D's. The 58D's would lase the target and the Cobra's could track to it.**

Edited by Punisher5555

The diagram you're showing is a chaff dispenser...

The AH-1F had no flare dispensers.

It's funny though because the control panel for this subsystem is modelled in the cockpit :p

All the F model reference I've seen have had the laser spot detector, but none of them have had the laser warning receiver. Often times this equipment is removed, I guess. Floyd was also saying (or he said something I interpreted as him saying) that he didn't have chaff dispensers until the first gulf war in 1990.

edit: I was looking at a few photos just now to investigate this laser warning box and you'd be hard pressed to find a photo of a cobra with panels cut to accept such a box, never mind with one on. Even the gulf war cobras with the chaff dispensers on them don't even have a place to put this LWR.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/6/4/1404465.jpg

gulf war, chaff dispensers, radar warning receiver on the nose, no LWR.

http://www.vrtulnik.cz/mil/helo1017.jpg

cold war germany (I think?), no chaff dispensers, radar warning receiver on the nose, no LWR.

I wonder if they had that extra equipment laying around in garrison or what.

Edited by Max Power

The AVR-2 was introduced in roughly '92-'93. I do not know if all Army units got them. Floyd might have some pic's of the 1-7th ones. When I got the 1-7th after the Gulf War they did not have them. Then in late '92-early '93 they got installed.

I believe all units had the Laser Spot Tracker. They just never put them on. My Attack unit in Germany kept theirs in secure storage, and then we only had about 4 of them for the 7 Cobra's.

Nothing is put on because it "was laying around". That is not how the Army works.

You may find it weird, because the Army may have bought and scheduled to have something installed years before. Then in the meantime they decide to go to a different platform (58D for example), but that schedule still goes forward. So your equipment gets upgraded and then "turned-in" one month later!!! As the saying goes, " Your tax dollars at work."

Edited by Punisher5555

I wasn't implying anything about how or why something is put on. I was wondering if they had that equipment in Germany and it was stored or if they did not have that equipment in Germany because it was not issued yet.

At any rate, this AH-1F is from the year 1985, not from the early 90s.

There will be an OH-58D with FFAR Rockets as in OFP. If we add more variants depends on how much work there is left.