Sign in to follow this  
Jokubas

Sequel Potential? (Possible Spoilers)

The thing that bothers me most about Alpha Prime is that it ends on a cliffhanger and no sequel has been announced to this day.

I know a lot of people had issues with the original, but I still found it to be an enjoyable experience that deserves to resolve its story hooks and address the issues people had.

The enemies could be unfair and certain things, like taking damage, didn't have enough feedback, but it wasn't impossible if I could get through it. The voice acting was occasionally odd, but I've since heard a lot of things I made fun of in Alpha Prime appear in British TV shows and movies, so I assume that it's not bad writing after all, but regional writing.

I'd like to see a sequel that addressed these things. Better AI, better feedback, a multiplayer option. I can't complain about the writing if it really is regional. Plus, it gave the game a unique character I wouldn't want to see go away. I want to see the actors reprise their roles, too. The game could be quirky, but that made it unique, and not just another generic, shaved-head, manly-man-quipping shooter.

Is there even a possibility of a sequel anymore? When Black Element Software was acquired by Bohemia Interactive, it was said that it would still operate independently, but I haven't heard anything from them since. Black Element Software was listed as a developer of Carrier Command: Gaea Mission until the new site came up, now they're nowhere to be seen. I'm afraid that since Alpha Prime isn't Bohemia's usual simulation style, we'll never see an Alpha Prime sequel.

It's a pretty basic FPS you can get fairly cheap at most places nowadays.

It was a really solid game, though, with production values comparable to mainstream releases at the time, which is amazing for such a small company. There are some hiccups with enemy difficulty and the script, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

If you're expecting to find a forgotten blockbuster, turn back now. If you like the FPS genre and don't mind if a game doesn't live up to mainstream expectations, you'll find something that is fun and unique.

Just don't expect multiplayer or a sequel, because it seems that despite the ending, they don't seem to be planning one.